Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

It George Cullen alright. One of the exiles.
    International call-ups for College duo

Two College students played in international tournaments over the Easter school holidays. George Cullen was pulled into the Ireland U18 Rugby Clubs team for a match against France, whilst Ali Clift played hockey for England in the Invitational Four Nations Tournament.

In front of a crowd in excess of 4000 locals in Quimper, Brittany, seventeen year old George Cullen gave a fine debut performance as out half.He scored one of the three tries, which saw Ireland achieving a convincing win over the host nation by 27 points to 14.

“With such a large home crowd it was a pretty intimidating atmosphere to play in and with a much larger French team it was always going to be hard, but I felt we played with more passion and aggression and ultimately this enabled us to come away with the victory,” said George. “It was a pretty special feeling winning the match as not many teams win on French soil, particularly, as Ireland U18s hadn't beaten France U18s for about 6 years. Overall it was an absolutely unforgettable experience and hopefully one I can become more familiar with in the future!”

http://www.bishops-stortford-college.herts.sch.uk/publicity/sport/international.html

The problem with playing these exiles is the good ones usually declare for England. It didn't take long for Shane Geraghty and Kieran Brookes to jump ship once England came calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

profitius wrote: »
    It George Cullen alright. One of the exiles.

The problem with playing these exiles is the good ones usually declare for England. It didn't take long for Shane Geraghty and Kieran Brookes to jump ship once England came calling.
    look where geraghty is now would't make a good senior team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mudfest

ormond lad wrote: »
    Jonny was unlucky to be injured and was not involved in some of the interpro games and im guessing didnt show enough in what he played to be given another look at by the irish youths coaches, his fitness(as much as it had improved) may also have played a factor.
    Oisin is highly regarded but he was very lucky to even make east munster and munster as some coaches felt he was too small to make it at the higher levels.
    Oisin has stood out any time ive seen him, one of the best technical tacklers there is but he is very slight and coaches would count that aginst him:(

Hi Ormond, was hoping others might comment, but let me finish on this kid. I honestly thought you thinking that he was lucky to even make the east munster and munster teams is rubbish. I would have good knowledge of south and east and saw the match earlier in the year between them and he was outstanding and gave an exhibition of 7 play (tell me of a better one) , saw the Thomand game and again super. Have a friend whose son goes to the same school and he says that this boy is really tough sports nut, very good hurler and that he was on the tipp football panel but gave up once called to the rugby.
    I have seen him through the years, along with Jonathan Hayes, and a good number of the rest of the munster crew and to say they are not good enough to progress further I believe is wrong, they have far more potential than some picked, I have absolutely no doubt, however good luck to them. That Oisin lad is slight but ask your J.H how good he thinks he is.
    Thanks for your posts Ormond Lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

Think its a bit unfair of you to say that some of the players picked aren't up to it.. The irish managment viewed all these players in interpro action and I would think that they know what they are talking about.

How big is Oisin O'Meara?

The coaches need to be realistic too. He could be a late developer though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

profitius wrote: »
    How big is Oisin O'Meara?

The coaches need to be realistic too. He could be a late developer though.
    5' 10 and around 70kg(total guess but he certainly isnt much more than that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

5' 10 and around 70kg(total guess but he certainly isnt much more than that)

5' 10 is probably too short for any serious career I'm afraid, course at 17 or 18 he could still grow a bit.

5'10 is ok for a 7. Its the weight that could be the main issue. 70kg is just over 11st according to google. He might be very good at the level hes at now but when moving up a level or 2 he might get blown away.

If he got to 14.5/15st it would be light but he could have a future in the game. Neill Back, Phil Waugh, Brussow, George Smith etc are all short but they bulked up enough to be able to compete at the highest level.

Connacht u19 league finally starts this weekend.
    11/12 u19 Connacht League Fixtures
    Under 19 League
    30th oct
    Monivea Sligo
    Buccaneers Corinthians
    Ballinasloe Ballinrobe
    Galwegians Westport

6th nov
    Corinthians Sligo
    Ballinrobe Monivea
    Westport Buccaneers
    Galwegians Ballinasloe

13th nov
    Monivea Ballinasloe
    Corinthians Galwegians
    Ballinrobe Westport
    Sligo Buccaneers

20th nov
    Ballinasloe Sligo
    Galwegians Buccaneers
    Westport Monivea
    Ballinrobe Corinthians

27th nov
    Sligo Galwegians
    Ballinasloe Westport
    Ballinrobe Buccaneers
    Monivea Corinthians

4th dec
    Westport Sligo
    Ballinrobe Galwegians
    Corinthians Ballinasloe
    Monivea Buccaneers

11th dec
    Sligo Ballinrobe
    Westport Corinthians
    Galwegians Monivea
    Ballinasloe Buccaneers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mudfest

rugby_fan wrote: »
    Think its a bit unfair of you to say that some of the players picked aren't up to it.. The irish managment viewed all these players in interpro action and I would think that they know what they are talking about.

I am sorry if I gave the impression that "players picked weren't up to it", my intention was to highlight the two lads who I felt were surprising omissions, felt they were talented rugby players, Martin Mulnane another one perhaps, and not to take away from those picked, but wish the lads that did make it the very best, great opportunity for them and hope they enjoy it and develop further.

On a separate topic, seeing weight and bulk came up, I have been involved with teams for many years, in the last three with teenagers. In an attempt to supplement their effort to 'bulk up', they are bringing tubs of protein in their gear bags. Not alone are they taking it, but advertising it and encouraging use to others. Maybe I am not educated enough in this area, but I do not agree with it in anyway.
    I remember years ago reading an article written by Tony Ward with regards to creatine and the use in rugby schools. We have all seen lads whose young build is far from natural, my concern is perhaps some dangers connected with protein supplements. We can be sure with kids that regarding following guidelines, that some will take less than directed and some will guide themselves and take more.
    Am I beginning to show my age?, would I have taken them in my day, I would like to think not, but I myself, again may be ignorant, do not appreciate it in the dressing rooms. Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Mudfest wrote: »
    I am sorry if I gave the impression that "players picked weren't up to it", my intention was to highlight the two lads who I felt were surprising omissions, felt they were talented rugby players, Martin Mulnane another one perhaps, and not to take away from those picked, but wish the lads that did make it the very best, great opportunity for them and hope they enjoy it and develop further.

On a separate topic, seeing weight and bulk came up, I have been involved with teams for many years, in the last three with teenagers. In an attempt to supplement their effort to 'bulk up', they are bringing tubs of protein in their gear bags. Not alone are they taking it, but advertising it and encouraging use to others. Maybe I am not educated enough in this area, but I do not agree with it in anyway.
    I remember years ago reading an article written by Tony Ward with regards to creatine and the use in rugby schools. We have all seen lads whose young build is far from natural, my concern is perhaps some dangers connected with protein supplements. We can be sure with kids that regarding following guidelines, that some will take less than directed and some will guide themselves and take more.
    Am I beginning to show my age?, would I have taken them in my day, I would like to think not, but I myself, again may be ignorant, do not appreciate it in the dressing rooms. Any thoughts?

in your day and possible in mine bulk was not the norm,i was recently looking at the weight stats for the famous 78 munster side most guys were around 12 stone schoolboy stuff nowdays..a lot of coaches going for bulk over brain/style at youth level at present even in the back line which will have a long term consequence.
    on the protein supplements some don't contain any creatine,but care should be taken

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A good place to ask about the protein would be in the health and fitness forum. I'd imagine there would be a fair few guys and gals there using it.

To the best of my knowledge protein is not going to cause any problems. You need a certain amount of it in your diet and as far as I know your body can't store it. So if you don't use it e.g. by exercising, you're just washing your money down the toilet.

Protein and supplements aren't bad things but get a bad press as uninformed people assume they are drugs. You need protein in your diet and supplements are just that, supplementary.

Creatine is different. To the best of my knowledge it helps your recovery time so this enables you to train more. Also if you don't use it correctly it won't work and once you stop using it lose the ability to recover as quickly.

In munster at 19s the regional qualifiers are going all right with Nenagh, Waterpark, Kilfeacle-Galbally and Cashel-Thurles nearly definately going to be the qualifiers in the east though there prob will be another qualifier, in the North Shannon-St Marys have started well with no other teams really standing out. In the South Bandon, Sundays Well and Cobh are the stand out teams so far

At 17s in the East waterpark and thurles are through on 1 side of the draw with dungarvan and fethard/clanwilliam through on the other side.
    In the West tralee are the stand out team with some big wins with abbeyfeale, killarney next strongest.
    In the North in the section that is seeding teams for the pan munster, thomond are on top with bruff in 2nd with ennis and young munster bringing up the rear
    In the other section not many games have been played yet.
    In the South, some sections seem much stronger than others with the teams at the top of the various groups being highfield, cork con, bandon, crosshaven, kanturk, clonakilty and skibbereen. Of those 7 only 4 will qualify for the pan munster which begins after christmas

In leinster boyne, enniscorthy and wicklow seem to be the strongest teams
    How are the other provinces going???

• Registered Users Posts: 36 skip64

Hello All... good to be back on line. Had some time away. great to see the munster guys that made the initial 35 on board for the Irish youths...
    May i say... i also was extremly suprised not to Oisin O'Mara on the list of 35. I can see 5-6 making the shortlist of 26. OK...i am a youths fan...nothing againt the Collages :-)
    grest to see Niall O Neill making it... always thought he has much more to offer and somebody must have seen it also. Munster got a look in at 15, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 6 (2), 5 & 1

skip64 wrote: »
    Hello All... good to be back on line. Had some time away. great to see the munster guys that made the initial 35 on board for the Irish youths...
    May i say... i also was extremly suprised not to Oisin O'Mara on the list of 35. I can see 5-6 making the shortlist of 26. OK...i am a youths fan...nothing againt the Collages :-)
    grest to see Niall O Neill making it... always thought he has much more to offer and somebody must have seen it also. Munster got a look in at 15, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 6 (2), 5 & 1
    AFAIK the youths have 3 internationals in april, dont know who they are against. im not surprised to see Oisin not in the squad disapointted but not surprised, his lack of size more than likely counted against him. im very surprised to see Niall O Neill make it.
    You can imagine the youths will have another training camp around xmas time.
    Hopefully there is at least 6 or 7 from munster in the final squad
    How are the provincial leagues going in the other provinces there have been some problems at 19s in munster but the 17s seems to be going very well
    The Pan Munster u17 and u19 top 16 leagues should be ready to start after xmas

any news on the latest cut with the youths,heard A.enright made it

Ive heard youths squad has been cut and they have a one day camp in December, also heard that they are going to Italy to play them in February and playing England and France in April

Ive heard youths squad has been cut and they have a one day camp in December, also heard that they are going to Italy to play them in February and playing England and France in April
    Thats what ive heard as well
    A training camp around new years, they play italy in the middle of february and france and england during the easter holidays

Thats what ive heard as well
    A training camp around new years, they play italy in the middle of february and france and england during the easter holidays

That seems to be the schedule so:)

been cut from 35 to 26 another 3 to go by december

• Advertisement

Some good games on in 19s league this weekend that should help make out who the group winners and runners up in munster and leinster will be and who will be into the knockout stages in both provinces

Roscrea&Birr, Boyne, Enniscorthy and Wicklow all seem set to be in the playoffs in leinster.
    Fixtures for tomorrow below
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/results/index.php
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/9673.php

How are the leagues going in Ulster and Connacht??

Any results from today???
    Bruff are top seeds for pan munster in the north after beating young munster today with thomond 2nd seeds

Bruff are top seeds for pan munster in the north after beating young munster today with thomond 2nd seeds
    shannon/marys won today 50 plus nil against ennis,that should put them top

shannon/marys won today 50 plus nil against ennis,that should put them top
    Its at 17s that bruff are top seeds.
    Shannon-St Marys will top their section at 19s with that win today and play 2nd from the other group(which has only 1 result in for the league so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

I can only speak for Corinthians 19's and they have only played two games so far and beaten in both. The first game was against Sligo (who have won 2 from 3 games) which they narrowly lost after my own young lad missed a penalty in the last play of the game which would have given us the game by two points, 11-12 to Sligo.

The second game was against probably the strongest side in the League (the side that won the All Ireland 17's title) Galwegians which was another close encounter with 'Wegians winning by 12-7. Some very contentious refereeing with 2 players straight red carded (deservedly it has to be said) but some very questionable decisions to both sides.

The other strong side in the League will be Monivea who have beaten both Ballinasloe and easily beat Sligo.

From IRFU website:

Ireland U-18 Club coach Wayne Mithchell has named a 25 man squad for a mini training camp in December. This camp and yesterday's Ireland Exiles U-18 game against Wales will serve as the basis for a final squad selection in the New Year.

This one day camp takes place in Ashbourne RFC on December 17th and follows on from the highly successful National Talent Camp which was held at Clongowes at the end of October. Thirty seven U-18 Club players drawn from the all four provinces and the Exiles attended on that weekend.
    The Irish Exiles U-18s beat a Welsh Exiles U-18 side over the weekend and this game along with the one day camp will allow coach Wayne Mitchell and Assistant Coach Jimmy Duffy to run the rule over prospective players.
    Following the training day in December a 23 man squad will be named for a 3 day training camp later in the month with a final squad then being announced for the game against Italy U-18s in Rovigo on February 18th.
    The Ireland U-18 clubs then face England away on April 14th and France at home on May 5th.
    Ireland U-18 Clubs Training Squad
    Caolin Blade (Monivea)
    Russell Blair (Ballymoney)
    Adam Byrne (Naas)
    Ben Carty (Buccaneers)
    Fergal Cleary (Navan)
    Brian Cunningham (Navan)
    Graeme Currie (Portadown)
    Peter Dooley (Birr)
    Adrian Enright (Abbeyfeale)
    Scott Flannagan (Buccaneers)
    Jonathan Hayes (Nenagh Ormond)
    Seamus Keating (Dungarvan)
    Stephen Keelan (Navan)
    John Madigan (Charleville)
    Leon Martin (Tullamore)
    Sean Moran (Kilkenny)
    Paul O'Donnell (Galwegians)
    Jack O'Donohue (Waterpark)
    Killian O'Keeffee (Crosshaven)
    Josh O'Rourke (DLSP)
    Reuben Pepperhobbs (Wesport)
    Conor Simpson (Coleraine)
    Killian Sweeney (Malahide)
    Jacob Walsh (Ballinasloe)
    Jim White (Enniscorthy)
    Ireland U-18 Club Management
    Head Coach - Wayne Mitchell
    Assistant Coach - Jimmy Duffy
    Manager - Willie Gribben
    Physio - David Hanly
    Strength & Conditioning Coach - Joe McGinley
    Team Assistant - Tom Nyhan
    Video Analyst - Jim Herring

any thoughts on squad?

any thoughts on squad?
    delighted jonny made it, hadnt heard anything that he had, also great to see madigan making it.

good to see some new names getting there chance due to the exiles not being involved in this camp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 exile17

I'm an exile dad, and reading your comment, not sure how to take it.
    Are you saying that there should be no exile representation in Irish rugby, and that the IRFU should only look inside the box.

Advertisement