Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

shaungil wrote: »
    I think this is pretty optimistic. Contact training first week in January with matches three weeks later when all signs are pointing to another tightening of restrictions in January.

I coach an underage team and if we get 4 or 5 matches this season I'd be happy at this stage.
    It is a fairly optimistic but better to have something proposed like this than alternatives. No?
    I do agree. I reffed 2 games and ran line in senior game. Cant see my total of games reffed etc being a huge amount higher than that this season.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It is a fairly optimistic but better to have something proposed like this than alternatives. No?
    I do agree. I reffed 2 games and ran line in senior game. Cant see my total of games reffed etc being a huge amount higher than that this season.

I saw a copy of a letter sent by Philip Browne to all clubs today and one of the things the IRFU are pushing for is that Rugby games be allowed at Level 3 as some other sports are.

If that was to get agreed then we might see some rugby in the New Year , but if we continue to have to wait for Level 2 or better sadly I think we might be out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Back in early C19 days there was talk of adapted rules removing areas of congestion between teams , eg non-binding scrums and lineouts and limits on bodies to rucks but nothing coming of that I presume.

Training has been challenging to keep interesting but to be fair numbers have been good (maybe cos the kids have nothing else to be doing) and some have really worked on their skills and decision making and have surprised me with their resiliency. That being said they've noting else to be doing so.......

IF we could get regional comps in April I'd be happy.

If clubs have facilities maybe an opportunity to run something over the summer , be it tip tag 7's 10's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

So provinces pretty much expecting normal seasons to be back from september

Connacht have announced changes to how they hope to structure season for clubs and schools https://www.connachtrugby.ie/new-season-changes-for-youth-and-school-players/

Leinster regional squads played u17 games recently as well which is good to see https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/fast-start-sees-south-east-through/

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/midlands-up-and-running-in-shane-horgan-cup/?FixGuid=

Leinster u18 clubs squad named for interpros https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/u-18-clubs-squad-announced-interprovincial-campaign/

All the games in National Sports Campus

Theyve already played Connacht in friendly which Leinster won by over 50 points..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Strong u19 squad named by Ulster. However a very youthful u18 clubs squad with a lot of school players- some who haven’t even played a minute of senior rugby as they are only going into year 12. Young Joshua Dobbin has only just turned 15.

unable to post a link to squads for some reason

youre a new poster so not able post links for a while. heres the link https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2021/08/extended-age-grade-squads-confirmed-ahead-of-inter-pros/

shame to see schools players in the clubs squad. whatever about combining squads at national level reducing chances club players get isnt a good thing

Leinster u19s 27 Munster u19s 7

Leinster u18 Clubs 12 Munster u18 Clubs 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Connacht Club U18s 24

Ulster Club U18s 34

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Ask IRFU or provinces on social media etc. I havent seen anything but could be some up tomorrow...

Ulster beat Connacht in 19s 22-19

inpho have photos of all 4 games from Donnybrook

https://inpho.ie/app/WebObjects/Shop.woa/wo/14.0.23.5.8

Munster U18 Schools: Stephen Kiely (Castletroy College); Aidan Ryan (Castletroy College), Peter Symington (Bandon Grammar School), Harry Long (Ardscoil Rís), Sean Condon (Presentation Brothers College); Gavin Rowsome (Castletroy College), Jake O’Riordan (St. Munchin’s College); Rory Doody (Cistercian College Roscrea), Danny Sheahan (Presentation Brothers College), Michael Long (Rockwell College); Jacob Sheehan (C) (Presentation Brothers College), Evan O’Connell (Castletroy College); Dawid Novak (Christian Brothers College), Kamil Novak (Christian Brothers College), Jack Ryan (Rockwell College).

Replacements: Adam Wrona (Christian Brothers College), Sam Loftus (Christian Brothers College), Harry Foster (Christian Brothers College), Joseph Coffey (Cistercian College Roscrea), Cillian Kelly (Crescent College Comprehensive), Cillian O’Connor (St. Munchin’s College), Jack Casey (Christian Brothers College), Matthew O’Callaghan (Christian Brothers College).

Munster U18 Clubs: Conall Doyle (Youghal RFC); Kieran Kennedy (Waterford City RFC), Paul Graham (C) (Kinsale RFC), Lukas Hagermark (Cork Constitution FC), Craig Riordan (St Senan’s RFC); Jimi Fenton (Rugbaí Chorca Dhuibhne), Kyle Read (Midleton RFC); Jack Ward (Bantry Bay RFC), Shaughan Hanrahan (Garryowen FC), Adam Cunningham (Clonmel RFC); Adam Sheahan (Skibbereen RFC), Oluwanifemi Giwa (Cashel RFC); Darragh Burns (Kilrush RFC), Eoghan McKay (Sundays Well RFC), Sean Edogbo (Cobh Pirates RFC).

Replacements: Donnacha Morrissey (Kilrush RFC), Adam McMahon (Garryowen FC), Tiernan O’Connell (Midleton RFC), Eoghan Cawley (Skibbereen RFC), Ben Murphy (Cobh Pirates RFC), Sean O’Dwyer (Bruff RFC), Luca Cleary (Ennis RFC), Frankie Gillane (Waterford City RFC).

Nice mix of usual suspects in clubs side and some clubs you dont see as often at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster u18 clubs 24 - Connacht u18 clubs 17

Connacht probably deserved to win, their 3,7 & 13 all looked like good players. Some handling errors from both sides made the game a bit stop start. Though both teams showed good attacking skills at times.

Interesting to see several players in Leinster squad from metro clubs especially likes of Lansdowne, Wesley, St Marys. not clubs you regularly see in the youths sides...

Connacht leagues at some age groups starting next weekend..

The players coming from those clubs go to section B schools. So don’t access through the schools team. Or rather are still eligible to play club rugby and don’t get blocked by their schools.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

3 Clare clubs represented, that has to be a record of some sort.

• Advertisement

I know they do. They wouldnt be eligible if in one of the stronger rugby schools or at least if not in one of those schools and looked to get released to play youths rugby.

Im saying its interesting as there has always been the metro sides/section competing in the shane horgan cup at under 16(former u17) but it would mainly be players from Skerries, Balbriggan, Clontarf and not so much the clubs like i mentioned

No. been a few occasions its happened before. When Shane O Leary(playing pro in england and Canadian international) was coming through Munster youths 8/9 years ago there was himself and another player or two from Ballina-Killaloe-Scarriff and some from Kilrush, Ennis as well and few years before that as well there was a good crew involved from Ennis as well as 1/2 from other clare clubs.

Ennis are going very well at age grade as you'd expect. Would be nice if they could keep that going to adult level. town that size really should be doing lot better than division 3 of junior rugby

Those clubs normally would probably have most of their players based in section A schools. My nephew plays for Lansdowne and is on that 18’s team. They lost 12 of 15 starters to schools at U15. So to have 2 lads out of what is left make it through, is good going.

I know. Would be nice if more of those clubs got players from other schools and kept youths teams going. plenty around those areas who dont attend fee paying/rugby playing schools

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's been quite some time since any Clare club other than Ennis had a player on the Munster 18's club team - It's great to see the other clubs holding on to their players and fielding teams at U18 level - It's been a while since that has been the case.

A few times there have been players that started out in the Clare clubs but who moved clubs to Shannon or Young Munster etc. before they got called into Munster squads.

Ennis have had players on the team every season for the last 5 or 6 years at least ,which is great and like you say hopefully they can begin to move up the Adult ranks soon.

They were looking reasonably good for Promotion to Div2 before Covid hit , but we'll see how the coming season pans out. I have a feeling that the ~18month break is going to make it harder to get players back for a lot of Junior clubs , but we'll see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's still a big problem in Ennis that as soon as you're good enough you move to Limerick.

The record I was thinking was 3 teams represented on 1 squad, 100% of clubs from a county represented

If Ennis can keep enough players playing to 20s and have some stay around for the clubs j1s and j2s every year and help push them up the divisions and be competitive at junior rugby(get some come back from city clubs at 22/23 as well) then you will keep them or the club gets in some very good coaches(big name) and uses that to help try keep them playing there but Ennis just simply should be doing far better for a town of its size

Absolutely agree - Significant local competition from Football and Hurling though and as Clareman says , each year coming out of youths they are guaranteed to lose the top 4/5 players into Limerick along with a few others lost to College & jobs etc.

If you look into Limerick , there's a fairly competitive AIL standard squad to be had across the Seniors clubs made up of players from the Ennis Youths system over the last 6-8 years.

Finding a way to hold on to those guys even as dual status to help get the club up the leagues would be a huge set up for the club - If they could get to Jnr Div1 , then it's an easier sell to stop players leaving , but it's the 3/4 years it'll take to get there that's the challenge...

1 of the big problems in Ennis is it's very clique but that's changing slowly but surely, used to be a case that the best players got to play in Limerick and that was better for them because there'd only be 1 or 2 players each year worth a run in Limerick and the rest would be junior level, now there's over 10 decent players at all grades so if 1 or 2 players go it doesn't lower the level too much, the fact that GAA isn't that strong in town at the moment helps as well.

• Advertisement

Munster u16/18s Leagues start this week

7 groups at each age group in opening phase of competition

In Connacht some leagues have yet to start while others have played a round or two of games

Leinster youths and schools-youths competitions start this weekend

Advertisement