Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costellos Tavern Limerick

• 23-03-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Went here the night before paddys day last week.
    Was drinking guinness so i said id have a pint of that. Was upstairs at the time by the way. So she pulls out a can of guinness out of a multi pack and charges me €4.50 for it!
    What a rob!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Haha yeah, that's Costellos for you. I tend to just get the pitchers downstairs for a tenner when Im there, you get about 3-3 1/2 pints out of it. Its a grand bar, but it relies on the whole 'The place is a sh*thole but these crazy students wont mind' vibe a bit too much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You should have gone downstairs and got your pint pulled properly for cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

downstairs for drinks, upstairs for chatting to wimmin in the smoking room/cage of death and bopping around to Rage Against The Machine, thats how costellos works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

krudler wrote: »
    downstairs for drinks, upstairs for chatting to wimmin in the smoking room/cage of death and bopping around to Rage Against The Machine, thats how costellos works.

...and bustin some moves on the sticky dancefloor :pac:

...and bustin some moves on the sticky dancefloor :pac:

then standing outside with a bag o' cans hoping for a house party, failing that a kebab and home :D i know what i'm doing Saturday lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its true its a proper dump!

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its true its a proper dump!

yeah but its great, as opposed to Icon being a dump and just being sh1t, through no fault of my own I had to go there last weekend, sweet jesus, now I remember why I've only been there twice in the last year.

Would still choose the Icon over the dump that is costello's regardless of the music. At least the toilets are somewhat clean there.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would still choose the Icon over the dump that is costello's regardless of the music. At least the toilets are somewhat clean there.

Well you wouldnt want people doing coke off an unwashed surface :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

cullen5998 wrote: »
    Was drinking guinness so i said id have a pint of that. Was upstairs at the time by the way. So she pulls out a can of guinness out of a multi pack and charges me €4.50 for it!
    What a rob!

Jesus, that's absolutely crazy.

What's the best night to head there? I've been there sometimes and it's very quiet, no buzz at all.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that's absolutely crazy.

What's the best night to head there? I've been there sometimes and it's very quiet, no buzz at all.

Saturday, it gets busy around 1am when people migrate over from bakers and the chicken, but since they're now closed its probably gonna be busier earlier.

Yeah, was thinking the same. Must give it a blast so some Saturday night but avoid the Guinness cans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Is the floor still as sticky & yucky as ever?? Haven't been there in a good while the bar downstairs isn't too bad but don't think i'd venture upstairs?

krudler wrote: »
    Well you wouldnt want people doing coke off an unwashed surface :pac:

Well you wouldnt want to wash your hands in a sink full of vomit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

worst job in town is cleaning the jacks in costelloes after a night!!

I always notice people who slag off costelloes have hardly been there.

Most of the Icon clientele are like magpies. They adopt the "shiny shiny" approach. If it has fancy lights, and fancy seats, and fancy bouncers, and fancy djs, and fancy cocktails, and you can only get in if you are wearing fancy shoes, a fancy shirt", then it HAS to be good, (even though it's a dive....) It's like a magpie going for a shiny object. They only go for it because it's shiny...

If I was paid to go to smyths/icon, I wouldn't go near the place...Each to their own though...

There will hopefully be an alternative to costelloes just for a change of scene in the alternative scene. I heard a rumour Daffy's might be opening again....?

I'm one of those guys that would turn up to see two cats fighting so here's my 2 cents.

The Icon, Nancy's etc. are handy sometimes as if town is generally quiet, these places will at least usually have a decent crowd. Sort of like the Toyota of nights out, nothing overly cool or flashy but you know what you're getting, consistent.

On busy nights I like heading to place's like Mickey's, sometimes Costello's as they are different than the same old thing. Keeping with the car analogy, these are a bit more like an Alfa Romeo. Different, cool, but can be a tempermental beast.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

And what about us ford drivers !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

And what about us ford drivers !!!!!!

bubblicious shut a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

seachto7 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour Daffy's might be opening again....?

Who told you that? Bernard? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 !!slimer!!

Can't unrecomend this place enough..

Place stiks of feet, floors are sticky, bouncer is a nob, barmen are nobs, and of course it really has the worst pint in Limerick.

Bring back de Shtooool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

!!slimer!! wrote: »

Place stiks of feet, floors are sticky, bouncer is a nob, barmen are nobs, and of course it really has the worst pint in Limerick.

Bring back de Shtooool!

You registered to say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bring back de Shtooool!

Somebodys been barred from Costelloes! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I like most of the music in costellos, better than any any other nightclub in limerick perhaps.

And its usually full of art students, where the odds are good but the goods are odd.

BUT, the place is absolutely manky and its a bit out of the way and a lot of pretentious **** go there too, hence I go to Anal Pain or d'Icon.

They should just play Slayer in Angel lane. yurt

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

yupyup7up wrote: »
    and a lot of pretentious **** go there too, hence I go to Anal Pain or d'Icon.

Irony? :pac:
    yupyup7up wrote: »
    They should just play Slayer in Angel lane. yurt

Best idea I've heard in ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Irony? :pac:

Perhaps, but the difference being I know the **** in costellos and they are worse than any ive ever met!

Best idea I've heard in ages!

yup would class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 !!slimer!!

Never been barred myself but I've been queing there before and seen people get hassle for nothin, i.e "never seen this man before, or a couple of bikers gettin stopped for no reason. It's ridiculous.

Just kinda sours my mood before I get in to be greeted by the 'magnificence' of the place. and yes I did register to say that, and this..

Slayer in Angel Lane would be epic.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Bring back de Shtooool!

Errr, you just described the Stool...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

What a rob!

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

They'd be cheaper to buy from a distributer. The fact that multipacks are being sold tells me that they are resorting to buying their alcohol from a wholesaler like Musgraves, or even off-licences. That, or they didn't buy enough during the week and send someone down for a few slabs. Whatever the reason, their profit margin will be less, not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

What a rob!

Agreed €4.50 seems very expensive considering some pubs are selling pints for €3.30!

Advertisement