Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costellos Tavern Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Limericks wrote: »
    Can't stand the place. Flan at the door is a <snip>. Likes to refuse me even though I have never done anything wrong inside there and unlike 90% of the patrons inside I actually buy drink.

I prefer to spend my money in a place that doesn't smell of mould also =/

seachto7 wrote: »
    It's fairly hard not to get into Costelloes, harder still to get thrown out.....

What seachto7 said. You're obviously doing something wrong outside the door, cos Flan'll have ya if you're wearing nothing but underpants, as long as you're behaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Can't stand the place. Flan at the door is a <snip>. Likes to refuse me even though I have never done anything wrong inside there and unlike 90% of the patrons inside I actually buy drink.

I prefer to spend my money in a place that doesn't smell of mould also =/

Flan is the finest. If he's not letting you in you definately done something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Costello's is a dump. I'd rather go to Nancy's, Icon etc because the place is clean and bright, as opposed to being dark to hide the filth of couches/seating areas, carpets and dancefloor.

Also, Costello's is grand if you're into an ''alternative scene'' I suppose, but the pretentious, 'deep' and 'artitistic' people who go their put you off. It's usually full of people who give out about all the people who go to popular clubs, and the fact they think the music played their is too is mainstream. My Chemical Romances latest single puts that fire out :pac:

Oh, and did I mention the place smells, looks and feels terrible.. the bar upstairs is a cloak room with taps.. the dance floor is disgustingly sticky.. it's the same music(like any club).. and the place has not been done up in a shamefully long time. I wont ever go there again, as my money spent there would never contribute to it being developed or done up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

eroo wrote: »
    , go to the Icon etc because the place is clean and bright

it's the same music(like any club)..

Both glaringly untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Costello's is a dump. I'd rather go to Nancy's, Icon etc because the place is clean and bright, as opposed to being dark to hide the filth of couches/seating areas, carpets and dancefloor.

Also, Costello's is grand if you're into an ''alternative scene'' I suppose, but the pretentious, 'deep' and 'artitistic' people who go their put you off. It's usually full of people who give out about all the people who go to popular clubs, and the fact they think the music played their is too is mainstream. My Chemical Romances latest single puts that fire out :pac:

Oh, and did I mention the place smells, looks and feels terrible.. the bar upstairs is a cloak room with taps.. the dance floor is disgustingly sticky.. it's the same music(like any club).. and the place has not been done up in a shamefully long time. I wont ever go there again, as my money spent there would never contribute to it being developed or done up.

You won't be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Flan is the finest. If he's not letting you in you definately done something wrong.

He's the tightest man in Limerick, imo, but hey, it works for him, who am I to judge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

<snip>

He knows enough to have a packed out pub for three hours every saturday night with people paying in, if he's a dope he's done very well for himself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've just removed some of the more unsavoury parts of several posts (and their corresponding quotes) from this last page. I know some people here aren't the biggest fans of Costello's, but there's no need to post insults. You wouldn't say the same things to other posters on the forum.

By all means, voice your criticism if it's appropriate. Just don't resort to name-calling from here on out. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

errr, you've clearly never been in Icon once the 3am "oh dear jesus is that what you really look like" lights come on, its filthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Things i like about the Costelloes:
    No one gives too much of ****. I find it pretty relaxed in there in comparison to most other places. There was a guy there last night dressed in a SS officers uniform and no one gave him a 2nd look (think there was some fancy dress people).

Things i don't like:
    The god damn bathrooms. They are a disgrace to 21st century concepts of hygiene and decency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

jamezy wrote: »
    The god damn bathrooms. They are a disgrace to 21st century concepts of hygiene and decency.

Yea they are a disgrace alright. Especially the girls from what I hear.

Things i don't like:

This is endemic in all club/pub toilets it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Costelloes friday night

toilets. spotless. upstairs and down. all night. first time i've ever seen clean toilets in there! miraculous.

They must be monitoring this thread!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No one gives too much of ****. I find it pretty relaxed in there in comparison to most other places. There was a guy there last night dressed in a SS officers uniform and no one gave him a 2nd look (think there was some fancy dress people).

Things i don't like:

I'd second all this (and definitely hope that there was some fancy dress thing on that night).

I don't get the idea that you have to be an arty pretentious type to want to go to Costello's. I (used to) go there because I can get beer there later than most other places, and I don't have to shout into somebody's ear to be heard. It's a decent place to relax, if crowded on weekends.

The place could be cleaned up a bit without losing its apparent charm, especially the toilets, which really are bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,875 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone see the guy in the nazi uniform downstairs saturday night? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Anyone see the guy in the nazi uniform downstairs saturday night? :eek:

err...yes...

Things i don't like:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,875 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

woops missed that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

That uniform was definitely something else, all of us did a double take!

Must be the new fashion for kids these days. :rolleyes::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That uniform was definitely something else, all of us did a double take!

Must be the new fashion for kids these days. :rolleyes::eek:

hipster nazis? noooooo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Costellos is by far my favorite place in Limerick.

I really like Angel lane but places like trooms and icon are ****holes!(Well the odd night trooms is good)

I just prefer the crowed there,and you can actually have a chat hah.The staff are dead onto,we once arrived a bit early before they opened but they left us in to sit down until they were :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

toilets. spotless. upstairs and down. all night. first time i've ever seen clean toilets in there! miraculous.

Never go upstairs but ya the toilets were fine downstairs! end of the day its a late bar/club so dont expect to be eating my dinner off the floor. In contrast I was in Aubars Sat night and their toilets (half the size of Costello's) was swimming in all types of bodily fluids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

CiaranMT wrote: »
    What seachto7 said. You're obviously doing something wrong outside the door, cos Flan'll have ya if you're wearing nothing but underpants, as long as you're behaving.

Well no, I walk to the door as I would any other pub. I don't make a fool of myself on the street like allot of people would. I think he may have me mistaken for someone else. I usually go out wearing good clothes too so unless he only like the type that I see in there that wear the same clothes for a week then that's not it.

Anyway it's no bother to me as flan is one of the worst publicans out there. And like I said if he doesn't want someone who will actually buy drink instead of drinking at home and not in the pub then that's also fine.

Also everytime I go in there i have to look twice at the seats before I sit down as the place is so filthy.

Well no, I walk to the door as I would any other pub. I don't make a fool of myself on the street like allot of people would. I think he may have me mistaken for someone else. I usually go out wearing good clothes too so unless he only like the type that I see in there that wear the same clothes for a week then that's not it.

Anyway it's no bother to me as flan is one of the worst publicans out there. And like I said if he doesn't want someone who will actually buy drink instead of drinking at home and not in the pub then that's also fine.

Also everytime I go in there i have to look twice at the seats before I sit down as the place is so filthy.

So, you you don't like the publican.

You think the place is filthy.

This begs the question.... Why are you trying to get into Costello's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Wear what you want and its only €5 would be my guess. :D

So, you you don't like the publican.

You think the place is filthy.

Sadly I have friends who do like to go there so once in a while I have to suck it up, plug up my nose and head to costellos.

I am posting my feedback on this pub/club, if it was good feedback would people be so fast as to try poke holes in it? bad feedback is good feedback as you can improve on your establishment. I would be delighted if Flan was too put some money into the place and make it worth going too. It would add one extra bar in limerick that I and many other's don't feel sick at the thought of going too.

One thing I will say about costellos is they have a good choice of music, that is, when I venture upstairs.

Sorry if I have insulted anyone's watering hole but it is in my nature to give honest feedback and if anyone doesn't like that they can just stick there fingers back in there ears and close there eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sadly I have friends who do like to go there so once in a while I have to suck it up, plug up my nose and head to costellos.

I am posting my feedback on this pub/club, if it was good feedback would people be so fast as to try poke holes in it? bad feedback is good feedback as you can improve on your establishment. I would be delighted if Flan was too put some money into the place and make it worth going too. It would add one extra bar in limerick that I and many other's don't feel sick at the thought of going too.

One thing I will say about costellos is they have a good choice of music, that is, when I venture upstairs.

Sorry if I have insulted anyone's watering hole but it is in my nature to give honest feedback and if anyone doesn't like that they can just stick there fingers back in there ears and close there eyes.

I agree with everything you said there. I guess my mates are like yours!

Not at all, you haven't insulted me anyway.

Fair points made.

I wouldn't say Flan is all that bothered with the look of the place, I think it lends to the charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

The door policy in Costello's is shocking. I was in there one weekend a few years back for a school reunion, was chatting to Flan for about 10 mins on way out the door, went back the following Saturday and he told me he didn't know me and it was regulars only! Needless to say I haven't been back. :mad:

• Advertisement

L.T.P. wrote: »
    The door policy in Costello's is shocking. I was in there one weekend a few years back for a school reunion, was chatting to Flan for about 10 mins on way out the door, went back the following Saturday and he told me he didn't know me and it was regulars only! Needless to say I haven't been back. :mad:

Flan has two signs on the door one saying regulars only and one saying private party. Well at least he used too. He tends to point at them when he doesn't want to let someone in which is a disgrace because everyone knows both signs are a lie.

Advertisement