Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costellos Tavern Limerick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

eroo wrote: »
    Costello's is a dump. I'd rather go to Nancy's, Icon etc because the place is clean and bright, as opposed to being dark to hide the filth of couches/seating areas, carpets and dancefloor.

Also, Costello's is grand if you're into an ''alternative scene'' I suppose, but the pretentious, 'deep' and 'artitistic' people who go their put you off.

lol, giving out about pretentious people is a bit rich coming from someone who goes to Nancys! Well, you're right about the Icon, there wouldn't be much in the way of deep people there, just plenty of shallow people "look at the shiny shiny!"

Nancys is grand if you could move in there. In amongst the posers who go to Nancys to be seen to go to Nancys to be seen to be a bit hip, the crowd in there is grand, if not a tad cliquey. It's grand as I said if they didn't pack people in like Sardines where it's physically impossible to enjoy a night out sometimes.....

The Icon. Nothing to say about that place that's good tbh. There are a lot of chavs in there who seem to think just because they dress in designer clothes they don't look any less like chavs, or it will make them less of a scumbag....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

seachto7 wrote: »
    lol, giving out about pretentious people is a bit rich coming from someone who goes to Nancys!

Don't know about that, I find the "arts" types every bit as obnoxious as anyone in Nancies. You know the type, accurately described in this informational video. http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/being-a-dickheads-cool

Don't know about that, I find the "arts" types every bit as obnoxious as anyone in Nancies. You know the type, accurately described in this informational video. http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/being-a-dickheads-cool

yeah, I know. Half of them drink in Nancys!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Limericks wrote: »
    Flan has two signs on the door one saying regulars only and one saying private party.

Most pubs/clubs in Ireland have similar signs somewhere. Reason being you can refuse someone you dont like the look of for not liking the look of them, but they'll have you up in court for it...
    With signs like those mentioned, a publican/doorman can refuse someone entry without risk of being taken to court or done for discrimination.

Don't think for one second that any right minded publican would like potential customers to be refused unless there are good grounds to refuse them. Its money out of their pocket. Not to mention stopping someone is a much more confrontational route to take! Nobody has ever been stopped for no reason...

Costelloes may not be the the tidiest spot in town, but it has its charms and its loyal following, and probably will be here for many years to come! Flan knows what hes doing

This is it exactly. How many trendy /Celia Holman Lee's girls photo op pubs/champagne swilling/cocktail swilling pubs have come and gone in the last 15 years? While Costelloes, like a cockroach in a nuclear war, keeps truckin' along!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

This is it exactly. How many trendy /Celia Holman Lee's girls photo op pubs/champagne swilling/cocktail swilling pubs have come and gone in the last 15 years? While Costelloes, like a cockroach in a nuclear war, keeps truckin' along!

Hahaha, well said dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

You def have a point Seachto, but you've got me thinking about pubs that have come and gone and I can't think of very many! Heres what comes to mind:

Quinns
    Harris'
    Doghouse
    Highstool
    Cornmarket
    Bootlegger

Anyone else remember anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Bakers, Theatre Club, the Central?, Players?

I suppose also in terms of popularity. New pubs opened and were all jammed the first few months, photo ops here, champagne there, but now most of them are operating on 2nd gear, even when times were good. They are too trendy almost....

The Bank is an example...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Wicked Chicken is open on the 30th April. I was in the Wicked Chicken this morning with the new owner. At least there will be something else up that end of town a little less pretentious, mellowed out, laid back etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I suppose also in terms of popularity. New pubs opened and were all jammed the first few months, photo ops here, champagne there, but now most of them are operating on 2nd gear, even when times were good. They are too trendy almost....

The Bank is an example...

The Bailey could be considered another maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

The bailey is only just re-opened after being closed for a few months. dunno if its new owners or what. As for what was there before, Mojos is probably the prime example of a flashy fake spot not making it in the long run.
    The Cuckoo box? Not so much fake, but a pub in the prime location in town not lasting...
    At least there will be something else up that end of town a little less pretentious, mellowed out, laid back etc etc.

I love somewhere different and laid back, but in the chicken (moreso the club downstairs) you could encounter some of the most pretentious sh1ts in town! Because I dress what would be considered 'normally', I've often been met with remarks like
    "excuse me, i went to LSAD and this is our nightcub".
    People who spend much more time and effort looking different than I spend not caring what click I fit into, be it the .alt crowd, rugby jock, country head or whatever! Maybe I do fit into some niche, but I'd be happy in any venue with an atmosphere.
    You'll get this in Costelloes too, but to a lesser extent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Oh christ this constant sniping between the Icon/Angel Lane/Trinity Rooms/Aubars crowd and the Costello's/Chicken/Mickey Martins crowd is enough to do your head in.

We get it ok. One crowd says the exact same thing about the other - the people are stuck up, the place is dirty, the music is shite etc etc.

Pot meet kettle. Get over it and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing. It is exactly this kind of thing that makes me hate Limerick with a passion. Small town syndrome where everyone spends half their life commenting on what everyone else is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Well said Ron Mexico - I can`t even think to imagine about commenting on something someone was wearing......what does it matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I went in there once and was completely taken back at how a place that was a ****hole in the 80s (according to the da) had continued to be a ****hole 20 years later.

I dont like Icon but give me icon any night over this place

Iang87 wrote: »
    I went in there once and was completely taken back at how a place that was a ****hole in the 80s (according to the da) had continued to be a ****hole 20 years later.

True enough, but the fact costelloes is a kip won;t stop me going. If I go to the icon, it would be very rare to bump into a musician, someone who is into decent music, or hear music I want to hear on a night out.
    Costelloes is a place where I can meet musicians, or people into the same music as me, therefore I am able to have a conversation with them. Granted the music isn't always good up there, but it's in my ballpark.
    It all depends what you want from a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

The crowd makes a venue, not the decor.

If you fancy the Icon crowd, good luck to ya.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I spent a while in both Costello's and The Icon tonight. Can't fault either of them. Both had fun music/clean toilets/floors that weren't sticky. Good show, chaps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

I spent a while in both Costello's and The Icon tonight. Can't fault either of them. Both had fun music/clean toilets/floors that weren't sticky. Good show, chaps!

stop being so moderate you:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

sober post for 4am,think ill head to costelloes tonite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Booooring. Take a side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

CiaranMT wrote: »
    The crowd makes a venue, not the decor.

If you fancy the Icon crowd, good luck to ya.

and i'm not a fan of the crowd for the most part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It all depends what you want from a night out.

137 posts for this to finally be pointed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

RonMexico wrote: »
    You won't be missed.
    I'm delighted!:D
    krudler wrote: »
    errr, you've clearly never been in Icon once the 3am "oh dear jesus is that what you really look like" lights come on, its filthy
    Yes I have, many a time. Guess what? I still prefer it to that kip.
    lol, giving out about pretentious people is a bit rich coming from someone who goes to Nancys! Well, you're right about the Icon, there wouldn't be much in the way of deep people there, just plenty of shallow people "look at the shiny shiny!"

Nancys is grand if you could move in there. In amongst the posers who go to Nancys to be seen to go to Nancys to be seen to be a bit hip, the crowd in there is grand, if not a tad cliquey. It's grand as I said if they didn't pack people in like Sardines where it's physically impossible to enjoy a night out sometimes.....

The Icon. Nothing to say about that place that's good tbh. There are a lot of chavs in there who seem to think just because they dress in designer clothes they don't look any less like chavs, or it will make them less of a scumbag....
    Your post is actually quite sad. I had that view when I was 15 and listened to metal. But then I grew up and realised it was best not to judge someone on looks alone. I still listen to metal, but then again I listen to anything and everything. So when I go out I wish to have fun with like minded people. You wont get that in the kip that is Costelloes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

eroo wrote: »
    I had that view when I was 15 and listened to metal. But then I grew up and realised it was best not to judge someone on looks alone. I still listen to metal, but then again I listen to anything and everything. So when I go out I wish to have fun with like minded people. You wont get that in the kip that is Costelloes.

If you're not having fun with like-minded people, then you're going out with the wrong people. There are plenty of open-minded people who go to Costello's. Maybe you don't like the clothes they wear, or whatever other part of their image it is you disapprove of.

Pre-judging the entire clientèle is probably part why one won't get on very well with them, to be honest. That goes for those complaining about Costello's and the Icon alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Jaysus ----small town !!! 10 pages

eroo,

Don't worry , I spent plenty of nights in the Icon, and every time I went there, I swore "never again". I could never talk to anyone in there about the music I was into, as nobody in there was into it, not that I met anyways. The music I was hearing was not what I was into either. I was getting a shift here and there, then realising after it in Supermacs I had nothing in common with them, nothing to talk about . (metal for example!)

At the time I was going there it was "sorry bud, no tackies allowed". So, the bouncers used to let in well dressed scumbags just because they didn't have trainers on. Simple as. I was like a fish out of water, and I kept bumping into numpties.

That's why I don't go there. It was all bouncers on an ego trip, djs on ego trips, VIP this, cocktail that, have you some comps here, women wanting to sh@g the bouncers, absolute ball*x is all it is to me.

Yeah, Costelloes is a bit of a dump, and I won't be meeting my future wife in there anytime soon (very slim pickings in there at the best of times!) (defo won't be the icon either), but I like the vibe in there in general.

I go in, there's no "sorry bud, not with those shoes", there's no women dolled up to the nines with shiny gold handbags etc. (I'm just not into that sorry), I can go to the bar, order a pint fairly quickly, sit down, have a chat and be heard, listen to some good background music, and that's it. That's what I want. I don't really fancy the idea of trawling around a nightclub full of 20 year olds who I have nothing in common with (I'm in my 30s). I never liked the icon when I was going there, and I don't like it now. I just went as most of my mates wanted to go, so it was that or go home.

Same with Smyths. The bands playing in it sum it up. Granted they are very good covers bands playing in there, but you'll never get a decent original band playing in there, as the crowd don't want it, they won't accept it. They just want the likes of Free Beer (nothing wrong with them), covers, x factor type stuff, and that's it. Done.

Horses for courses as they say. Judging someone by the clotes they wear is kind of like judging a pub on its decor wouldnt you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

I love Costelloe's but i have to say about 75% to 80% of the time i have had a good time in Icon. But only when i have had good mates there and the music was cheesy 80s stuff that you could dance ridiculously to.

I suppose, to me, the music is as much a part of my night out as the place I go to. If I think the music is going to be rubbish all night, I won't go there. There's only one place worse than the Icon, and it's the Sinbin!
    I have never been in Angel Lane, and haven't been in Trooms in about 8 or 9 years so can't comment on it..
    Just my opinion though........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I hate the attitude their bouncers have. I'm 19.
    ''Not a chance love, you're nowhere near old enough!'

Really?? Coz you were only to happy to see me this night last week...
    There's only one place worse than the Icon, and it's the Sinbin!

I LOVE SINBIN!

It really does come down to who you're out with.

Advertisement