Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround Sound Dilemma

• 23-03-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

I currently have my Surround Sound Blu-ray system connected to my PS3 via an optical cable and to my TV via a HDMI lead. However, I would like to use it with my Xbox 360. In order for me to obtain the best quality sound, is it necessary for me to continually switch the lead between my consoles or could I connect the optical lead directly to my TV? Given that my TV contains an optical output port, would there be a loss in surround sound quality from my consoles, both of which are connected to the TV via HDMI leads?

I realise that I have probably stated a very basic question awkwardly!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Leopardi wrote: »
    I currently have my Surround Sound Blu-ray system connected to my PS3 via an optical cable and to my TV via a HDMI lead. However, I would like to use it with my Xbox 360. In order for me to obtain the best quality sound, is it necessary for me to continually switch the lead between my consoles or could I connect the optical lead directly to my TV? Given that my TV contains an optical output port, would there be a loss in surround sound quality from my consoles, both of which are connected to the TV via HDMI leads?

I realise that I have probably stated a very basic question awkwardly!

Thanks in advance.

If your tv is HDMI 1.3b or 1.3c the sound should return back yo your surround via the optical cable.
    Because your using the optical return its still Dolby 5.1 or DTS 5.1. There should be no designable loss.

Sol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

akaSol wrote: »
    If your tv is HDMI 1.3b or 1.3c the sound should return back yo your surround via the optical cable.
    Because your using the optical return its still Dolby 5.1 or DTS 5.1. There should be no designable loss.

Sol

Thanks for the reply, Sol. I'll give it a go!

Advertisement