Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info about MSc in Digital Games

Options
  • 23-03-2011 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am thinking about doing a Msc. in Digital Games in DIT. I was wondering if anybody had any information about the course, past experiences, what languages used, or some tips and advice for joining the course. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Im currently studying the Msc, whats your undergrad, what are are you hoping to get into etc?

The course is shared with the Creative Digital Media MA so there is a crossover of subjects with that.

Semester 1 the games related subject was Ludology as a core module then Design Practice (graphic design basics, typography, design, layout..photoshop and illustrator) and Design Principes (use case testing, low fidelity vs hgh fidelity prototyping) and then Authoring Principles (basic html and css and javascript)..those were shared with the MA

Semester 2..Game related..theres Game Engines (XNA and C#)..Assets and Modelling (3DS Max mainly plus use of zbrush,mudbox,sculptrus or whatever tools you prefer for modelling)..then on the creative side theres Motion Graphics (After Effects)..Authoring Practice (actionscript 3)..Dynamic Web (PHP)..you pick 2 of those and do a core module in modding which was basically a group project based on production and covered some unity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

Axwell wrote: »
    Im currently studying the Msc, whats your undergrad, what are are you hoping to get into etc?

The course is shared with the Creative Digital Media MA so there is a crossover of subjects with that.

Semester 1 the games related subject was Ludology as a core module then Design Practice (graphic design basics, typography, design, layout..photoshop and illustrator) and Design Principes (use case testing, low fidelity vs hgh fidelity prototyping) and then Authoring Principles (basic html and css and javascript)..those were shared with the MA

Semester 2..Game related..theres Game Engines (XNA and C#)..Assets and Modelling (3DS Max mainly plus use of zbrush,mudbox,sculptrus or whatever tools you prefer for modelling)..then on the creative side theres Motion Graphics (After Effects)..Authoring Practice (actionscript 3)..Dynamic Web (PHP)..you pick 2 of those and do a core module in modding which was basically a group project based on production and covered some unity

Thanks for the reply!

My undergrad is Computer Applications and Information Systems. Languages that ive done are java, javascript, html, xhtml, xml, R, Prolog, assembly. So im guessing I should be alright with C# and XNA (Which I think is visual basic.). Im hoping to get into developing games for xbox, through XNA. At the moment Im working on a game for Android for final year project.

Is there anything that is required for the course? For example experience in XNA or C#?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DrDefrag

Hey,

Your background should be enough. No experience necessary, but you'll need to put in some work with any programming, but XNA & C# is easy enough to pick up.

There will be a new module on iphone & mobile APP development too next year. In fact many of the projects this year look like being games on either the iphone or ipad, people are using corona and LUA, Unity or flash.

There is one other games module, modding in semester 2 which is a group game development project. This year they used unity, last year the cryengine.

There are other optional modules in dynamic web development, screen tools and digital audio. I hear they are going to be adding 'Rails' and HTML5 in the future to both authoring based modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if this course would be ok for someone with a business background. I have done a degree in Accounting but want to move into the creative stream. Looking at either creative media or digital games. Any info or opinions highly appreciated..

Cordo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if this course would be ok for someone with a business background. I have done a degree in Accounting but want to move into the creative stream. Looking at either creative media or digital games. Any info or opinions highly appreciated..

Yes this course would be fine, there are people now in the course with marketing and philosophy backgrounds.

The two courses have been combined into one course. You are able to select the electives you want and specialize to either the digital games or creative media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

Gman1 wrote: »
    Yes this course would be fine, there are people now in the course with marketing and philosophy backgrounds.

The two courses have been combined into one course. You are able to select the electives you want and specialize to either the digital games or creative media.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know by chance if the digital stream has a part time option too or is that just the creative media stream?

Cordo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know by chance if the digital stream has a part time option too or is that just the creative media stream?

I dont think there is a part-time option anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DrDefrag

Hi.

The old part time programme has been discontinued and a new delivery model that reflects the games and mobile & web app design streams is being developed.

Expect to see information about this later this year. April.

Advertisement