Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certain Individuals selling lottery tickets for charity in the city

Options
  • 23-03-2011 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Over the last while back Ive noticed 'certain' characters around the city centre either selling lottery tickets or collecting money for certain charities although invariably it tends to be one of 2 or 3 charities.

Are these legitimate, i didnt feel comfortable asking for permits directly!!

While i'm all for donating to worthy causes id have to be confident all of my money does indeed end up with the worthy causes before I donate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

to be honest I avoid any and all lottery tickets sellouts outside boots, post office, debehams,etc. What happens if you win on a ticket - they are never there next day.

I just save all my donations for the daffodil day for the hospice and give a lump sum to them. At least you know they are legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I tend to give money to beggers before I give to to questionable charity collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The way the charity ticket s sellers work is like this. They approach the charity, say the Asthma Association. They say, "Allow us to use your name on the charity and we'll give you €20,000". The charity obviously takes it, but the charity ticket sellers then go selling all over ireland and pay the sellers fairly sizeable wages to sell the tickets.

So then the ticket sellers could make €100 grand or €1 million or whatever, but either way the charity just gets the original €20,000.

In short if you're going to give money to charity give it directly to the charity, not these third party agent who make a mint off them

ColHol wrote: »
    The way the charity ticket s sellers work is like this. They approach the charity, say the Asthma Association. They say, "Allow us to use your name on the charity and we'll give you €20,000". The charity obviously takes it, but the charity ticket sellers then go selling all over ireland and pay the sellers fairly sizeable wages to sell the tickets.

So then the ticket sellers could make €100 grand or €1 million or whatever, but either way the charity just gets the original €20,000.

In short if you're going to give money to charity give it directly to the charity, not these third party agent who make a mint off them

Somebody does though or else they wouldn't bother :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Last I heard the charities were flush with cash directly from chugger activity. Have you got a source for what you're saying here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Last I heard the charities were flush with cash directly from chugger activity. Have you got a source for what you're saying here?

I've no reason to believe or not believe either of ye, but equally do you have a source for you own bit of hearsay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I tend to give money to beggers
    Why? It doesn't help them. If you want to help give your money to St. Vincent de paul, don't throw a few euro to some bum so he can go and buy 2litres of devil's bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Mactard wrote: »
    I've no reason to believe or not believe either of ye, but equally do you have a source for you own bit of hearsay?
    Only on boards would a request for more information need evidence. As it turns out I'm talking about chuggers and he's talking about ticket sellers, but I'd still like to know where he's getting this information from.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Only on boards would a request for more information need evidence. As it turns out I'm talking about chuggers and he's talking about ticket sellers, but I'd still like to know where he's getting this information from.

I'm sorry, I made a polite request for the same reason as you did.

You said "Last I heard the charities were flush with cash directly from chugger activity"

You, like ColHol, have not offered a source for this information. It is not at all unfair for me to request that you provide one, much in the same way it is not unfair for you to ask ColHol to provide a source for his/her information.

I really do not see why you have a problem offering a source for your unsubstantiated information, especially in light of your own identical request.

Is that really too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the charity ticket sellers then go selling all over ireland and pay the sellers fairly sizeable wages to sell the tickets.

Some of the charity ticket seller jobs are advertised on the FAS website. The listings there always specify minimum wage.

Suspect that "brains" running the outfits do pretty well out of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Why? It doesn't help them. If you want to help give your money to St. Vincent de paul, don't throw a few euro to some bum so he can go and buy 2litres of devil's bit.

You know, if it makes them happy, it makes them happy. At least I hope they spend it on a bit of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Chuggers are different in the sense that they are signing up subscribers, so it is more akin to door-to-door sellers than ticket sellers.

How I know this is my brother in law worked as a ticket seller when he was in college. During the summer months he would be picked up and brought to different places to stand outside shopping centres and sell, sometimes down the country where they were put up in a hostel.

So they got paid very little but were given commission, he was quite good and made a fortune out of it, around £500 a week at the time, (this was roughly ten years ago). After a while he got a promotion of sorts, he became a supervisor (driving the guys around), and he started getting paid a decent wage plus he got commission on whatever the guys he was supervising got.

Apparently there was a lot of money floating around and very little of it was going to the charity as they had already been paid the initial sum, which in fairness they were happy with because it was money for nothing for them. As I say it was a good while ago but Im sure the current operations havent changed too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭galwegians

give my donations directly to the vincent de paul, seem to be the ones on the ground picking up the pieces after the last few savage budgets inflicted on honest hard working people.
    ticket sellers on the street get more of a cut from you buying a scratch card than the charity does,

your choice what you do with your money, but i would rather give a few euro to a charity like V, D, PAUL galway. At least you are helping at a local level,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I witnessed two of these lads arguing over territory outside Boots one morning really early. It was not nice language between the two opposite parties. I saw one of them later up near HMV telling one of his buds all about it.

My personal opinion is that each Charity should be only given one Day/Weekend a year to collect like it was done years ago.

I won't give money to anybody on the street anymore.
    I reckon our Excellent City Council could pass a By Law to some effect;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I think you might be getting beggars mixed up with wino's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I recall a woman walking up to one of these lads and asking straight out, "How much money are you making from this?". The guy answered without hesitation, "I earn 50% of the money taken." Think he was a foreign national if I recall correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

for every €2 scratch card sold after everybody gets paid the charity gets 3 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I was approached by two girls in high-vis jackets, heels and very little else tonight, around 9pm, they were selling scratch cards for the Hanley Center. Couldn't help but think it may be their new marketing technique

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Lol. I saw those two girls in the Square around 9. I thought they were promo girls for Coyotes. Was wondering why they were out so early :-S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Getting a few euro for a night out no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

These threads got a bit lively last time it came up. Locked thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63423169
    and another open one here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60432659

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

for every €2 scratch card sold after everybody gets paid the charity gets 3 cent.

Source?

Advertisement