Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDCC announces privatiztion of waste collection

Options
  • 23-03-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭

Waste Collection Customer Announcement (Update 21st March)

South Dublin County Council today (Friday 18th) announced that it has reached agreement with Greyhound Recycling & Recovery Limited for the sale of its residential and commercial black and brown bin waste collection service. Updated 21st March
    Greyhound Recycling & Recovery have published a press release on the agreement.

previous update
    The agreement was reached following an ongoing process to evaluate our options for providing a sustainable waste collection service to our customers and a competitive process involving a number of waste management companies operating in the private sector.

South Dublin County Council would like to reassure its customers that the transfer to the service to Greyhound Recycling & Recovery Limited will not give rise to any change in your current arrangements and we will write to all existing waste collection customers in the coming days to explain how the transfer process to Greyhound Recycling & Recovery Limited will take place.

It is important that you remain a customer of the Council to avail of any offers which may be available under the new Provider and any such offers will be announced shortly.

Will eventually see the end of the waiver system as per what has already happenned in Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown.Another stealth tax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good stuff. The private companies have proven that they can do the waste collections more cleanly and reliably for less costs. No point in having overpaid civil servants (and their even more overpaid and overpensioned civil servant overlords) do the work subsidised by the tax payer.

I've been with citybin since they started in Lucan and I can't honestly say one negative thing about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Fair plays to the council on this. I hear there is a new manager who came in, and was shocked at the carry on they saw. As people have economised, they are not putting their bins out as much. But there was an agreement that when the run was done, the lads could go home.

Said manager saw some binmen putting taxi plates on the roof of their cars outside the gates, after doing a couple of hours, and queried it. It was quite legit, they had done their rounds and were free to go with a full days wages.

The council were locked into all these agreements when times were better. Now the money isnt there, they were losing large amounts of money.

Tell me though, was there any mention of the payoff, or disruption money the current bin men are getting at our expense. I was told, but I cannot remember EXACTLY, so as I am unsure, I am not saying it. If I don't know for sure, I dont say it.

AND BEFORE ANYONE ASKS. I am not telling you who I know in the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

another thing that my taxes used to pay for. now i pay more tax and still i have to pay for this. everything will be privatised and we will stay pay taxes.

if only we could privatise the government, civil service and the councils.

Maybe SDCC customers will have their bins collected on bank holidays now. And during inclement weather. I can't remember City Bin not collecting bins during the recent bad snow and ice where SDCC bins weren't collected for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

foreign wrote: »
    Maybe SDCC customers will have their bins collected on bank holidays now. And during inclement weather. I can't remember City Bin not collecting bins during the recent bad snow and ice where SDCC bins weren't collected for a couple of weeks.

Yep,they were terrible during the snow events last December. I seen City Bin Co. and Thorntons around my estate during the snow but no sign of SDCC.

I also hope that they make proper use of the brown bins. I tried to use them after they were delivered last Autumn but their insistence on no bin liners meant i had a massive maggot and fly problem after a couple of weeks! DCC and most of the other providers encourage liner use but not SDCC. I washed the bin out and left it out the back garden never to be used again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Dont get your hope up over greyhound! They are useless to say the least.

The council drove in our estate along with Thortons and City Bin, but greyhound refused and didnt collect our green bins!

When the snow was gone, we put our green bin out and a box neatly packed beside it and they just emptied the bin and laughed at the other box. Even after I asked them to take it!!

Move to City bin, who so far are brillant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

emo72 wrote: »
    another thing that my taxes used to pay for. now i pay more tax and still i have to pay for this. everything will be privatised and we will stay pay taxes.

if only we could privatise the government, civil service and the councils.

Unfortunately my taxes have also been used to pay for your bins too. Seeing as I have had to pay for private collections for years just because I don't live in the city.

spoke to my buddy again and it looks like the lads have to be compensated for work practice changes. FOURTY GRAND !! (approx)

However it is only being paid in two installments. I am mad I have to work for a living - unlike some people. The gas thing is, its us ultimately paying. some people would call it compensation, some disruption money and others just plain bribery!

spoke to my buddy again and it looks like the lads have to be compensated for work practice changes. FOURTY GRAND !! (approx)

However it is only being paid in two installments. I am mad I have to work for a living - unlike some people. The gas thing is, its us ultimately paying. some people would call it compensation, some disruption money and others just plain bribery!

Why do these practises remain unchallenged? I doubt there's any legal basis for compensating civil servants for accepting different roles once their previous job is no longer there. Shouldn't they be grateful they are indeed offered a different role? In the private sector they would have just been made redundant. No offer of another role. No compensation.

unkel wrote: »
    Why do these practises remain unchallenged? I doubt there's any legal basis for compensating civil servants for accepting different roles once their previous job is no longer there. Shouldn't they be grateful they are indeed offered a different role? In the private sector they would have just been made redundant. No offer of another role. No compensation.

Get a grip unkel.

Its the public/civil services we are talking about here. There is no such thing as cop-on just:
    the union wont accept this,
    thats not in my contract,
    we have an agreement.

It doesnt make one bit of difference that the world has changed and jobs-for-life, with no accountability, are gone.

• Advertisement

Get a grip unkel.

Its the public/civil services we are talking about here. There is no such thing as cop-on

If only I could be Enda the Terrible for a few years :D

Unfortunately my taxes have also been used to pay for your bins too. Seeing as I have had to pay for private collections for years just because I don't live in the city.

Sorry but are people not currently paying for their bins to be collected even by the council. So no ones taxes are paying for it now or over the last 5 years!

Private companies are cheaper though

Sorry but are people not currently paying for their bins to be collected even by the council.

Yes indeed people are paying for their bins to be collected
    So no ones taxes are paying for it now or over the last 5 years!

You're assuming that people pay the full costs of the council bin collection. They don't. They only pay a token fee that won't cover even a fraction of the public service pensions alone of the staff employed by the council :)

So yes, the difference between the token fee and the full costs is indeed paid by the taxpayer...

In the private sector when you pay for the service and it turns out the service costs more than you paid for it, the owner of the company pays for the difference, not the tax payer

Why do people think the problem is with the workers? If you think they have/had it handy why didn't you join up? Or is getting up at stupid o'clock to haul other peoples sh1te too much like hard work for you? Fúcking hate this public sector bashing bullsh1t. The jobs were open to everybody and we all knew the benefits.

foreign wrote: »
    Why do people think the problem is with the workers? If you think they have/had it handy why didn't you join up? Or is getting up at stupid o'clock to haul other peoples sh1te too much like hard work for you? Fúcking hate this public sector bashing bullsh1t. The jobs were open to everybody and we all knew the benefits.

People just want a fair system for all, and because the country is bankrupt, proper measures should be taken and the public service needs to be run as a private service is to be fair to all.

Pensions should be at the same level as the private sector.

Maternity leave should be the same as private sector, currently public service gets an extra 1000 on top of their salary on maternity leave, while private sector will only get their normal salary which includes that extra 1000.

If company running a service goes broke/exists then people should be let go instead of taking money off other people.

Public Service should work like the private , ie reward the best, fire the worst.

Public Service is not open to everyone, its who you know!!

People just want a fair system for all, and because the country is bankrupt, proper measures should be taken and the public service needs to be run as a private service is to be fair to all.

Pensions should be at the same level as the private sector.

Maternity leave should be the same as private sector, currently public service gets an extra 1000 on top of their salary on maternity leave, while private sector will only get their normal salary which includes that extra 1000.

If company running a service goes broke/exists then people should be let go instead of taking money off other people.

Public Service should work like the private , ie reward the best, fire the worst.

Public Service is not open to everyone, its who you know!!

As I said to Unkel. COP ON.

Reasoning and fairness has no place in this discussion. This is about the public/civil service so should do, will do, has no place here. Thorntons knocked on my door last night. I signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I still cannot fathom why some people on my estate have not switched over to the city bin. They're 20% cheaper, with online billing and a weekly sms reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I still cannot fathom why some people on my estate have not switched over to the city bin. They're 20% cheaper, with online billing and a weekly sms reminder.

Some might feel that the cost saving was negligible over the course of a year. Depend on how much you use it i suppose. In my case i spent around about €60 with SDCC on black bin lifts last year. Both of us work and are out of the house most of the day so it takes an age to fill it. Pure laziness on my part not to bother switching.

If i ended up with a couple of nippers and as a consequence used to bin a lot more i'd definitely change providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

How much did SDCC receive from greyhound for the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

lord lucan wrote: »
    Some might feel that the cost saving was negligible over the course of a year. Depend on how much you use it i suppose. In my case i spent around about €60 with SDCC on black bin lifts last year. Both of us work and are out of the house most of the day so it takes an age to fill it. Pure laziness on my part not to bother switching.

If i ended up with a couple of nippers and as a consequence used to bin a lot more i'd definitely change providers.

I'd well agree with that. I delayed changing my gas and electricty over airtricty for ages just out of laziness despite huge savings. What did it for me with citybin was my bin tags occasionally going missing though I guess it's not a problem now.

The recession can't be bad enough when we are not trying to maximize their savings....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

I was told that "Greyhound Recycling & Recovery Limited" have a minimum collection policy of 17 black bins a year. does anybody know if this is true, i have email them but im still waiting on a reply.

Like Lord Lucan there is only 2 of us. We use about 6 black bins a year and we have a composter so no need for a brown bin

One big advantage I found by switching providers was that now i can put out my brown bin even it half full as i pay monthly fee. With the Council for us it was wait till brown bin was full then put it out, ended up with flies etc around the bin!

Big brown bin great for taking the grass also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Newbee012

Just wondering any of you who have changed providers, have you had any luck with getting SDCC to collect your bins? I'm waiting since November. Which is crazy!! Greyhound now tell me it will be another few weeks, with no real estimate of how much longer I have to wait.
    Yet I rang Thorntons to ask them to collect my brown bin as I dont use it due to bad maggot experience! They said no problem , that'll be picked up on friday for you.
    I am also not allowed to drop them off myself which I find even odder!

It took the council about 6 weeks to collect my bins, but that was years ago when citybin just started in Lucan. From others I've heard it now takes much longer, but I don't have any direct experience of that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Newbee012

Thanks unkel for the reply, 6 week wait slowly turning into 6 months! :mad:

*UPDATE*

Talking to my buddy again. It appears the lads voted on the 40k payoff and rejected it. They have now been told they are getting 16k :D

They have been taken off the trucks and are now in jeeps going around collecting litter. :D:D

AND GET THIS:

They are now working 8 till 4 !!!!!

Poor folks :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They have been taken off the trucks and are now in jeeps going around collecting litter.

Ah that's what I've been seeing in the past few weeks! In fairness all the main roads around where I live are a lot cleaner now.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

*UPDATE*

AND GET THIS:

They are now working 8 till 4 !!!!!

Poor folks :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The greyhound lorries (SDCC with new stickers) were collecting in our estate at 7pm on tuesday, so even longer hours.

Newbee012 wrote: »
    Thanks unkel for the reply, 6 week wait slowly turning into 6 months! :mad:

It takes months, and you have to keep ringing them. Note each bin is a different department so you have to ring 3 departments, as they won't pass on the info :rolleyes:.

but now with Greyhound things may be different.

manc wrote: »
    The greyhound lorries (SDCC with new stickers) were collecting in our estate at 7pm on tuesday, so even longer hours.

It takes months, and you have to keep ringing them. Note each bin is a different department so you have to ring 3 departments, as they won't pass on the info :rolleyes:.

but now with Greyhound things may be different.

Did you say they were SDCC bin trucks ?

They are supposed off the road and going back as they are leased and the council is behind on its payments (allegedly)

The new pick up trucks turned up without tax on them so before they could go on the road the council had go and tax them. LOL

I just hope the new manager that has shook them all up, had the foresight to put trackers on the new pickup trucks. We wouldn't want them sitting up a quiet laneway somewhere for a few hours.....

Finally someone is getting work done and making real progress. I must ask my buddy what their name is as credit where credit is due, they deserve a pat on the back.

I read elsewhere on boards, someone complaining the county manager gave greyhound the contract without consulting anyone. Well fair play to them. It could have been bogged down with consultations, discussions, negotiations and more consultations. They needed to grab the lot of them by the scruff or the neck and drag them into reality - AND THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED !

Top marks to the new sheriff in town Tallaght

Oh, and if anyone whats to know where I get my information, it was paddy, the black guy with one leg from iceland (good luck finding him)

• Advertisement

I had to get on to Keating to get my bins collected after a war of words with SDCC

First I sent the letter in and rang a week later and they said they never got and so put me on the list and told me it be 8 weeks.

Rang after 8 weeks and they told me another week.

Rang after that, and they said you arent on the list and we put you on it now and it be 8 weeks, I lost the rag at this point and told them if the bins go missing i dont care.

She said can you not drop them down to us in your car!!!!!

So rang Keating and he said he look into it.

2 days later a truck pulled up and collected the black bin, but get this he said it wasnt his job to collect the green or brown.

2 days later the brown and green were collected but by seperated vans on a sat morning before 9 am!!!

Advertisement