Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDCC announces privatiztion of waste collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

Did you say they were SDCC bin trucks ?

Thats what the colour scheme looked like but without the SDCC name, the cab door had a Greyhound sticker like the ones they are putting on the bins.

I just presumed they bought the lorries but didn't get around to respraying them yet.

Anyone got prices for Greyhounds collection, are they monthly/yearly or per lift?

manc wrote: »
    Thats what the colour scheme looked like but without the SDCC name, the cab door had a Greyhound sticker like the ones they are putting on the bins.

I just presumed they bought the lorries but didn't get around to respraying them yet.

Anyone got prices for Greyhounds collection, are they monthly/yearly or per lift?

I would imagine you are still paying the council as Greyhound are just contracted to collect the waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Greyhound have taken over completely I was told. It's nothing to do with the council anymore. All the council customers are now greyhound customers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

IPAM wrote: »
    Greyhound have taken over completely I was told. It's nothing to do with the council anymore. All the council customers are now greyhound customers

When i went to log in to my Refuse a/c it redirected me to a new version on Greyhounds site. Not sure how they're scanning the barcode on the bin though,they placed a large Greyhound sticker right across it last week!:confused:

lord lucan wrote: »
    When i went to log in to my Refuse a/c it redirected me to a new version on Greyhounds site. Not sure how they're scanning the barcode on the bin though,they placed a large Greyhound sticker right across it last week!:confused:

The bins were all chipped in the last year or two.

• Advertisement

foreign wrote: »
    The bins were all chipped in the last year or two.

That makes sense. Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Greyhound havent collected green bins in Grange Manor park in over 3 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Greyhound havent collected green bins in Grange Manor park in over 3 weeks!!

I was contemplating switching from Citybin to Greyhound as they are slightly cheaper and offer a few months free of charge when you sign up, but the thought of that puts me right off. I've more green bins to put out than grey bins. I've been with Citybin since they started in Lucan and they have NEVER missed a collection. Staying with Citybin, but just switched to the pay per lift method from the fixed €20 per month, so I'll try and recycle a bit more now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ferret81

Hi Everyone

I am new to Lucan and trying to organise my bins to discover the SDCC have sold on the bin collection. I am wondering would people recommend citybin or greyhound price wise etc... I am living near St Edmundsbury.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ferret81 wrote: »
    I am wondering would people recommend citybin or greyhound price wise etc...

Greyhound is slightly cheaper whatever option you take. But not lifting a green bin for three weeks in a row is miserable service levels. As bad or even worse than the council was

Citybin deliver outstanding service. Never missed one collection in the several years I'm with them. They place the bins neatly back to the same spot you've left them out, you get free txt reminders to tell you which bin will be lifted the next morning, free emails with all the details of your lifts, email invoices, etc. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

It appears Greyhounds standard price will remain the same as it was with SDCC (€10.50 a lift for black bin, €5.25 for brown) unless you ring them and get a price dependant on your usage.

manc wrote: »
    It appears Greyhounds standard price will remain the same as it was with SDCC (€10.50 a lift for black bin, €5.25 for brown) unless you ring them and get a price dependant on your usage.

How the fúck do they get away with charging €10.50 a lift? Citybin only charge €8.40!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I went to look at my account and was transferred to greyhound, where it said my account balance was -.75, I had lodged previously 8 euro so I had enough balance to have 1 lift while with SDCC, that money seems to have disappeared after having transferred to greyhound.

I rang SDCC but they claim they have no records of any payments anymore, this seems a bit ridiculous that they got rid of all records (or claim) I tried ringing greyhound but it never answered on numerous numbers.
    Anyone else have this problem of account credit getting lost in the transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Just got a letter from these. There is now an annual charge of €60 then it's 6.20 every second week based on 20kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

considering the average bin weights closer to 40 kilos (don't know anyone who puts one out every fortnight) the rates are more like €12.40 for black and €9.60 for brown. Throw in the 60 quid service charge and your talking about one hell of an increase!

How can one tell the weight of the bin every second week when you need to put it out.

mhtc wrote: »
    considering the average bin weights closer to 40 kilos (don't know anyone who puts one out every fortnight) the rates are more like €12.40 for black and €9.60 for brown. Throw in the 60 quid service charge and your talking about one hell of an increase!

I got a letter, I thought it was stating that you pay 60 and get all the lifts done for the year?
    I rang them to enquire but no answer, left message as they said high call volume, no call back yet.

Are you saying the flat charge is just that plus you pay for each lift?

If the charge is for the full year, it still makes no sense for me, as I barely put the grey bin out? maybe 4 times a year, brown maybe 2 times and green as much as i can/need to. I was planning on moving and if any/all the above is true, I plan on making my self clear to them by quitting their service and going to someone else.

Well the old way was @10.50 x 26 =€273
    The new way @ 6.20 x 26 +€60 = 221.20.
    That's if you put your black bin out every two weeks.

So there is some saving to be made. But they have the weight thing added in.

The thing is, I dont put my bin out every two weeks, if greyhound had a decent system to show what your account/usage was I could see exactly, but think literally 4 times last year, so every 10 weeks at 6.10 is 61 euro.

It actually makes no sense to encourage people to put the bin out all the time, surely they should be encouraging people to recycle more,
    OR
    Maybe people were recycling more, individuals realised the savings by being green, so now greyhound decided to charge a flat rate for all bin lifts in advance as maybe they were making a loss? edit or just not as much profit. I really have no problem paying for a lift by weight per lift, but not in advance for lifts that will not happen.

I have already been pi$$ed off by greyhound, when making an enquiry about missing credit in my account, they sent me an excel doc which they could have just typed up, I stayed with them as it was less hassle for me to stay and I thought the cost of each lift didnt warrant moving, but NOW they decide to charge me for bin lifts they and I know I will not make.

I hope more people that are in the same situation as me (recycle and thereby minimise the amount of bin lifts needed) vote with their feet and go to another service, not sure (but have an idea who that is in my area) , so will be looking it up as greyhound cant even be arsed to respond, its not that they are inundated with calls, they never have replied.

looks like my options are thorntons, citybin? or maybe panda (not sure if they do lucan)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

@Merch

If you call Greyhound they will tell you how many Grey and Brown bins they have lifted for you in the last 12 months. Saying that, I've heard it can be difficult to get through/call to/from them

I know it was approx 4 it might have been 3 or maybe 5, but I shouldnt really have to ring them, I should be able to check it online, until now they didnt even have the price per lift on their system (at least i could not find it and if you have to trawl a website then they are either doing it intentionally to obscure their costs or are idiots), neither did they have a calender for a long time.
    Once you recycle out all the stuff that can go in the green bin (separated, washed and flattened) and the brown bin, then the grey bin would take ages to fill and happily I reaped the benefits of that. Now it seems greyhound are not happy that I am (am sure others are too) being green which probably means they are not making as much profit, so they feel they should charge a flat rate regardless of how many bins you put out, which means they dont give a toss about whether you are green and dont put it out as they will bill you regardless.

Greyhound, as far as I can tell/experienced do not answer the phones, nor reply to voicemail.

Merch I agree with you they are not out to save us money in the long run. I think more people will add to this once they receive there letter.
    It's going to be 31 cent per kg. With a family of four I have to put mine out a bit more then yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm still confused about the weight thing. How do you know how much you need to pay for your bin to be lifted?

I'm sticking with Thorntons. We put our black bin out every 2 weeks so it's €208 for the year. I don't use the brown ones because they're disgusting. With greyhound it would be a good bit more I reckon, because there's no way my bin only weighs 20 kg. I'd say it's closer to 30.

Try ringing greyhound now to ask some questions about these new changes. Got put on to a call centre in cork that don't have a clue what's going on. So got no answer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Merch wrote: »
    looks like my options are thorntons, citybin? or maybe panda (not sure if they do lucan)

I'm with Thorntons in Lucan.
    If you only put your bin out once a fortnight, then they are the best option for you (in my opinion anyway)

my bin only goes out every few months at best, i'll look into yhem

I got the same letter the other day and there's 2 things that annoy me about it.

1) The introduction of a service charge. As far as i can see this is a way of catching everyone for a few quid. I only put my black bin out every 2 months at best,so roughly 6x€10.50=€63. Been that way for a few years now and unlikely to change. Under the new scheme i'll now pay €60+6x€6.20=€97.20,so a €34 increase over a year. Greyhound can go and ****e,i'm gonna switch to City Bin Co. next week.

2) The wording of the letter is very vague and ambiguous. This was done intentionally imo to confuse people. This thread shows evidence of this with people unsure as to whether the new €60 charge was a flat rate for the year as opposed to the flat rate + a new "reduced" lift charge. Bad form from Greyhound and i can see many others in a similar boat to me jumping ship.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I got the same letter the other day and there's 2 things that annoy me about it.

1) The introduction of a service charge. As far as i can see this is a way of catching everyone for a few quid. I only put my black bin out every 2 months at best,so roughly 6x€10.50=€63. Been that way for a few years now and unlikely to change. Under the new scheme i'll now pay €60+6x€6.20=€97.20,so a €34 increase over a year. Greyhound can go and ****e,i'm gonna switch to City Bin Co. next week.

2) The wording of the letter is very vague and ambiguous. This was done intentionally imo to confuse people. This thread shows evidence of this with people unsure as to whether the new €60 charge was a flat rate for the year as opposed to the flat rate + a new "reduced" lift charge. Bad form from Greyhound and i can see many others in a similar boat to me jumping ship.

This was always the case with greyhound I believe, I mean they have always been vague, they never had the lift price online, for a long time they did not have a calender of lifts online, I got the "oh sure you can ring the number" and we can tell you/send one out, but they hardly ever answered the damn phone and I had to ring them numerous times before I got a calender. Not to mention I prefer not to flush my money down the jax ringing them nor do I have the time to hang on while in the end no one answers.
    I'll have to dig out the letter, think it starts in October, I will be long gone from using their service and I believe people should look at whether this really is the best value for them instead of just rolling on the service, which I think is what greyhound hopes for. I'm looking up thorntons and city bin and am gonna have a look and see what company stickers ar eon bins on my road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

According to a poster on askaboutmoney - http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=160280&highlight=thorntons - Thorntons are also about to bring in an annual fee (€50).

Advertisement