Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDCC announces privatiztion of waste collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I havnt recieved my letter yet, which is weird as everyone else seems to have got the letters.

I saw the letter they sent to my boyfriend though, and had to read it a few times before i even understood it!!

He's been having a war of emails with them.
    Ive never found it a problem getting through to them, but i imagine people are having problems due to the high amount of volume of people ringing up at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

rgfuller wrote: »
    According to a poster on askaboutmoney - http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=160280&highlight=thorntons - Thorntons are also about to bring in an annual fee (€50).

I noticed that it seems to be the case already, but it still looks like it works out cheaper than greyhounds option.
    I looks like I could put a bin out once in a year with thorntons, and pay only the bin lift and that 50 euro,

with Greyhound I pay for them all whether I use them or not, I'm gonna look into city bin, if they do my area and have no charge, I'm going with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Well I have to put my bin out on thursday. So I will ask the bin men can they tell me the weight cos it feels a lot heavier then 20 kilos and it's only Monday.

wush06 wrote: »
    Well I have to put my bin out on thursday. So I will ask the bin men can they tell me the weight cos it feels a lot heavier then 20 kilos and it's only Monday.

Thats ok if u know what time they turn up at, greyhound say put the bin out at 7am but may not collect till 7 that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

the brown bin is always heavier too. Must see if I can weight both for the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just got the letter from Thorntons yesterday, they're imposing a €50 annual fee but lowering the prices of the lifts. The black bin is €7.20 now I think.

phasers wrote: »
    Just got the letter from Thorntons yesterday, they're imposing a €50 annual fee but lowering the prices of the lifts. The black bin is €7.20 now I think.

Will go with thorntons myself as they said that they are not going to apply the weight for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

City Bin have details of their new charges up on their website:

http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=Household-SouthDublin

I think these charges are for new customers. Existing customers remain on the old charging structure.. well that's what I was told over the phone last week.

I still havnt recieved my letter yet. Should i assume i have to pay fee, or deny all knowledge of knowing about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

has anyone weigted their bins? can't see them under 20KG

Edit - just saw this - OUCH
    http://www.lucannewsletter.ie/letters.html

If like us, you separate and bin all your biodegradable waste in the brown bin you will be aware how heavy that bin gets. I have just weighed my brown bin that is nearly full and it weighs 90 Kilos. This, at the new rate of 24 cent per kilo, equates to a charge of €21.60 to put out and adding the new €60 extra annual service charge, a total of approximately €26 compared to the old charge of €5.25 for a brown bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

has anyone weigted their bins? can't see them under 20KG

When we were with Citybin, our black bin was regularly coming in over the 50kg mark.

I got the email yesterday from Thorntons outlining the annual charge. It'll represent a significant rise in our bin costs because we only put out the black bin once a month.

Well they come every two weeks so are they saying the average household is 20kg per week and if so will it be 40kg every two weeks. Or 20kg every two weeks.

Try ringing them but they don't seem to know themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Heroditas wrote: »
    When we were with Citybin, our black bin was regularly coming in over the 50kg mark.

Our last grey bin was 105kg (6 weeks family of 5, so 3.5kg per person per week, that's not that much is it?) and the previous one was 90kg

Paying by weight kinda wouldn't suit me :(

So I hope coward is right...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I phoned greyhound last week and they were able to email me a statement for the last year showing all my lifts and the weight of each lift, interestingly they only had weights for when SDCC were doing it and I was told Greyhound didn't record them when they took over. My average (over a admittedly low number of reads was 25.5kg) although they ranged from a low of 15 to a max of 35 i think it was. They also didn't have the weight for brown bin lifts. When I tried getting the same info for my parents the next day they suddenly weren't able to send me any weight details, just a list of lifts. Seeing as they didn't record the weights when they took over I wonder where they are getting this average of 20kg from? I would assume as well that the median figure would be the best to work from as OAP etc who don't pay charges and living alone or on the dole and get a waiver will stick the bin out for every collection whether it's full or not and bring down the average.

Moving to Thorntons myself, not a whole lot in it for me but a bit pissed off with Greyhound giving people only a couple of weeks notice of the change and having to fork out a €60 annual fee at very short notice. I put my bins out maybe once a month so the fixed lift rate will work better than by weight. Ozo have a good deal as well at 189 for 26 lifts a year if you are putting you bin out every second week.

Well did anybody get the weigh of there bins on the new price plans. Like I said earlier on I move over to Thorntons.
    Would like to know if people's bins are coming in at 20 kilo each lift.

Well did anybody get the weigh of there bins on the new price plans. Like I said earlier on I move over to Thorntons.

Doesnt thorntons charge the service fee too though, do any of them not charge? in Lucan

Ok I put my bin out last week an had enough money on account for a 20kg lift. My bin was just about full and now when I checked my account it's 3 euro in debit.
    So 20kg is not even a full bin.

Merch wrote: »
    Doesnt thorntons charge the service fee too though, do any of them not charge? in Lucan

It's 50 euro service charge but they don't charge by weight.

It's 50 euro service charge but they don't charge by weight.

Actually, greyhound does charge by weight AND, I should say OR by lifts, as in either or (isnt it??) its why Im wondering if I will bother change, think i will.
    The thing is, they take away the bins I paid for?? it wasnt even greyhound at the time, I paid for a replacement bin at some stage with the council.
    Greyhound gave me a brown bin only, do they credit me for the grey and green ones? :rolleyes:

I'm happy to report that I'm still on pay by lift with citybin. That's €8.40 per lift, which is typically 70-105KG for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not a chance that your bin is going to be 20kg if it's even half full, unless you're throwing every bit of food waste into the brown bin.
    Even at 40kg, a full black bin seems too light.
    Unkel is pretty much on the money regarding the weight of a full black bin.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Not a chance that your bin is going to be 20kg if it's even half full, unless you're throwing every bit of food waste into the brown bin.
    Even at 40kg, a full black bin seems too light.
    Unkel is pretty much on the money regarding the weight of a full black bin.

This is why I went with Thorntons as its pay per lift for now anyway. I think the way greyhound went about this with there wording is very confusing for some people and misleading.
    I've been talking about this for the last few weeks here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unkel wrote: »
    I'm happy to report that I'm still on pay by lift with citybin. That's €8.40 per lift, which is typically 70-105KG for me

http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=Household-SouthDublin
    this says €48 + €7 per lift

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think that's for new customers. Existing customers like Unkel are on the old plan.

And long may it last! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

I know this thread abit old! But I'm LIVID!!!!:mad::mad:

Like all of SDCC customers, i received a letter from Greyhound re: the annual charge and changes to lift charges. They worded it to sound that you pay the annual charge and the new lower rate of €6.20! They spoke about saving's against SDCC charge of €10.50 per LIFT! :rolleyes:

Well i duly paid the €60 and topped up my bin credit to do me until now, you can imagine my shock when i logged on to my account to find that I'm in arrears of nearly €50 so since October my bin has cost me over €120?!?!:eek::mad::mad:

How the hell is that a saving!?! 5 lifts used to be €52.50 and now it's working out way more than that!!!!

Well Greyhound can go fluff off with themselves!!! and they can take that 40quid I owe them and take it out of the remaining annual service charge I've already paid to them!! The dirty robbing f*%%ers!!:D

Buyer beware!!

Rant over!! :D:cool:

Can you tell us what the wiegh was for each lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

With Greyhound, lift charge is less than the old €10.50 each time for us, and usually the bin is pretty full, 20-30kg. If the bin is only 2/3rds full or so, then the lift charge is quite a bit cheaper. So we can put the bin out every time and not get penalised for not having it full. Fixed lift charges and fortnightly collections are a bad combination.

No idea how you could get 100kg into a bin unless you're throwing out depleted uranium or something, and how the bottom wouldn't fall out of the bin when lifted...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ninja900 wrote: »
    No idea how you could get 100kg into a bin unless you're throwing out depleted uranium or something, and how the bottom wouldn't fall out of the bin when lifted...
    It's a 250L bin so at 100Kg it would be at least 60% full of air. (stuff that doesn't float would be even heavier)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Here's our last few lifts

05-Dec-2011 3:40 PM 31.5 Black bin €9.76
    21-Nov-2011 4:08 PM 16.5 Black bin €5.11
    07-Nov-2011 4:25 PM 28 Black bin €8.68
    24-Oct-2011 2:05 PM 27 Black bin €8.37
    10-Oct-2011 3:24 PM 34 Black bin €10.54
    29-Aug-2011 3:31 PM N\A Black bin €10.50
    15-Aug-2011 3:07 PM N\A Black bin €10.50
    01-Aug-2011 2:46 PM N\A Black bin €10.50
    19-Jul-2011 7:56 AM N\A Black bin €10.50
    04-Jul-2011 2:12 PM N\A Black bin €10.50

So only the 34kg one is dearer than the old fixed charge (of course there's the annual fee too..)

The 34kg and 31.5kg bins would have been quite full. Yes a lot is air but that's normal for domestic waste, this is kitchen bin bags and individually bagged pooey nappies :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement