Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDCC announces privatiztion of waste collection

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Unfortunately citybin has now hit me with a monthly service charge now too :(
    ninja900 wrote: »
    No idea how you could get 100kg into a bin

We recycle all tins / paper / cardboard / cartons / paper. Basically all the stuff that weighs little but takes up lots of volume

We don't have nappies anymore :D

And then we remove some of the air ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

Here's our last few lifts

05-Dec-2011 3:40 PM 31.5 Black bin €9.76
    21-Nov-2011 4:08 PM 16.5 Black bin €5.11
    07-Nov-2011 4:25 PM 28 Black bin €8.68
    24-Oct-2011 2:05 PM 27 Black bin €8.37
    10-Oct-2011 3:24 PM 34 Black bin €10.54
    29-Aug-2011 3:31 PM N\A Black bin €10.50
    15-Aug-2011 3:07 PM N\A Black bin €10.50
    01-Aug-2011 2:46 PM N\A Black bin €10.50
    19-Jul-2011 7:56 AM N\A Black bin €10.50
    04-Jul-2011 2:12 PM N\A Black bin €10.50

So only the 34kg one is dearer than the old fixed charge (of course there's the annual fee too..)

The 34kg and 31.5kg bins would have been quite full. Yes a lot is air but that's normal for domestic waste, this is kitchen bin bags and individually bagged pooey nappies :)

Well my friend, looks like it would be cheaper for you to sign up to Thornton's like i just did.... €50 annual charge and 7.50 a lift regardless of weight!;)

All my lifts seem to be 12.40 with greyhound coupled with the 60quid charge Thorntons are going to work out a hell of alot cheaper for me! :D Thats if i read Thorntons small print RIGHT THIS TIME!!:P

I seriously think it's the nappies that catches us out more than anything! Nappies for 2 kids collected every 2 weeks..... That's a whole lot of sh1t!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well my friend, looks like it would be cheaper for you to sign up to Thornton's like i just did.... €50 annual charge and 7.50 a lift regardless of weight!;)
    city bin is slightly cheaper at €48 + 7 per lift

https://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=Household-SouthDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We looked into Thornton's before but they hid in the small print that they only worked out cheaper than SDCC if you put the bin out every week (still had weekly collections then :( ) will look into them again and City Bin... have already paid the annual fee with Greyhound though.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

No idea how you could get 100kg into a bin unless you're throwing out depleted uranium or something, and how the bottom wouldn't fall out of the bin when lifted...

Cat litter :(

• Advertisement

Anyone else in Lucan have their black bin lifted by Thorntons today?
    They haven't collected ours the last two times now and today is the last straw.
    Despite having credit in my account and the lid being fully closed, my bin has been ignored three times in a row :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Heroditas wrote: »
    Anyone else in Lucan have their black bin lifted by Thorntons today?
    They haven't collected ours the last two times now and today is the last straw.
    Despite having credit in my account and the lid being fully closed, my bin has been ignored three times in a row :mad:
    I was out walking in hillcrest today and saw the Thorntons lorry collecting the black bins.

Crisis over! They just arrived. Usually they're here first thing in the morning.
    As soon as they'd emptied the bin, I went out to wheel it in and also transfer all the rubbish I had to store in the brown bin for the last few weeks. Also, I emptied our main bin in the kitchen and was shocked to see the black bin was already full! :eek:

Anyway, I trotted after the lorry and asked the guys would they do a second lift for me.
    "Sure... just bring the bin to the entrance to the estate and we'll pick it up again on the way out"

Yay! I have an empty bin and no rubbish accumulating everywhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

All my lifts seem to be 12.40 with greyhound

I think its capped at €12.40 as thats what they claim a full bin weighs (40kg - their ads said a half filled 'average bin' would cost €6.20). My friend showed me his weighed prices of 60+ kilos and it cost €12.40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Greetings southsiders,

Can I ask what the process was when your service was first privatised.
    Did you have an option to immediatly shop around for a new provider or did you have to sign up with greyhound for the first year?

• Advertisement

You had the option to shop around. I think we had a monnth/6 weeks between notice, adn the time it was due to be paid

EDIT; actually I'm not sure that is correct. I'm thinking about the annual charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

The situation seems different in the dub city area. Thorntons have confirmed they dont service the area, waiting for city bin to confirm but their website only has fingal and south dub options. It looks like dub city council have given greyhound a monopoly.

Its not a monopoly as Thorntons already work in Dublin City council's area, now if they don't want your custom, then thats another thing

As DCC only announced it this week, I'd wait a little while before closing off all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Greetings southsiders,

We is West Side.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvE6KpZMKUVDkkxV2PhuUnSCfsvPnlWKKzuFh7thSRrcdj93bU4SrmDSkY
    Can I ask what the process was when your service was first privatised.
    Did you have an option to immediatly shop around for a new provider or did you have to sign up with greyhound for the first year?

Annual fee didn't apply then (for SDCC or Greyhound) you just paid per lift, so you could switch at any time if you wanted without losing out.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

On average,how long has anyone here who switched from Greyhound/SDCC to a private operator been waiting for their old bins to be collected by Greyhound?

I'm a month now and not a word from them. The first of many emails will be winging its way to Greyhound tomorrow.

lord lucan wrote: »
    On average,how long has anyone here who switched from Greyhound/SDCC to a private operator been waiting for their old bins to be collected by Greyhound?

I'm a month now and not a word from them. The first of many emails will be winging its way to Greyhound tomorrow.

It took me about two months to get the bins collected by SDCC when I moved from them back in late 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Been waiting 5 months for Greyhound to collect their old bins after moving to Thorntons.

Got through to them on the phone the other day (finally, after many attempts) and apparently they aren't taking their bins away as there's EUR18 owing on my account - which is BS as I was actually in credit when I moved away from Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Took me 6 months!

I had written letters, phoned (got told i had to email the customer care section).

Eventually I went to their website and the 'contact us' section and submitted a query form, got a reply and confirmation that bins would be collected 'in the next few days' - they werent!!

But armed with that i emailed them again and rang and lo and behold following week bins were removed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It took 2 months and many emails but finally Greyhound removed their bins from my house yesterday. They don't half make it a tortuous process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

lord lucan wrote: »
    It took 2 months and many emails but finally Greyhound removed their bins from my house yesterday. They don't half make it a tortuous process.

Only two months, wow thats quick, mine were there for the last 8, having said that I gave up calling them right at the start, after staying on hold for 15 mins a number of times? I just wanted them gone recently so got back onto them, same hassle and the reason I left them (i.e. they are virtually uncontactable and a pain to deal with/abrupt).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Still waiting one year later.

Advertisement