Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandra Collins

Options
  • 23-03-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

A 21-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of withholding information in relation to the disappearance of a woman in Mayo 10 years ago.

29-year-old Sandra Collins was last seen in the Killala area in December 2000.

She was 10 at the time.:confused:

A local woman was arrested at 11am this morning and is being held at Ballina Garda Station.

I do hope though this will lead to closure for the family of Sandra Collins.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0323/collinss.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bettyl

Until a bit more info or a name are released its really hard to understand how a 21 year old could be arrested.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

bettyl wrote: »
    Until a bit more info or a name are released its really hard to understand how a 21 year old could be arrested.

:confused:

It says she apparently had information in later years and withheld it.But thats just speculation.Other wise its strangest i ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I hope for the Collins family this leads to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Sympathy to the Collins family and I hope this arrest leads to information aboout what happened.

Thius family have also suffered a tragedy some years ago in an industrial accident at Oasis factory Ballina.

That was a terribe time too - the staff who were there that night will never get over what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

That's a crazy story alright, hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

More news on this,Looks like a breakthrough.
    Heres hoping thoughts and best wishes with her family and friends.

A man aged in his 40s has been arrested in connection with the disappearance of a woman (29) in Co Mayo more than 10 years ago.

The man was arrested in Ballina early this morning and is being held under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 at Ballina Garda station.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0324/breaking53.html

Looks like arresting her might have led to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

It sounds like the guards know what happened but need a confession or body. I hope this case is concluded soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

nuac wrote: »
    Sympathy to the Collins family and I hope this arrest leads to information aboout what happened.

Thius family have also suffered a tragedy some years ago in an industrial accident at Oasis factory Ballina.

Is it possible to outline more info about what happened , and how all this came about /?

even a link to the national news story

Is it possible to outline more info about what happened , and how all this came about /?

even a link to the national news story

I think its this very sad. http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0611/inquest.html?view=print

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Another arrest made and the other man was let out,file being sent to DPP.

A 46-year-old man who was also being questioned by gardaí was this evening released from custody. A file will now be prepared for the information of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

It looks like a long drawn out situation for the family again.
    Best wishes and thoughts and prayers with her family and friends.

Gardaíin Co Mayo have made a second arrest in their investigation into the disappearance of Sandra Collins more than 10 years ago.

A 58-year-old man was arrested in the Ballina area today. He is currently detained at Ballina Garda station under the provisions of Section 30 Offences against the State Act 1939, a Garda statement said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0325/breaking12.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title amended so people will know what thread is about.

A man detained this morning in connection with this in Ballina. Will the Collins family finally see an end to their anguish.

Careful please re comments on this matter.

Sad time for the Collins family

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Careful please re comments on this matter.

Sad time for the Collins family

Thanks for that.

As said, don't say anything out of step, the comment will be deleted and you will be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

I cant imagine how the family must feel at this time of year, hopefully this arrest will prove helpful and give the family a christmas present of information and/or closure for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Was it an arrest or was someone just brought in for questioning?

Sorry i just used the word arrest for convenience sake, he has been further retained in custody today so hopefully something comes of it

pls people be careful in your comments

mods consider closing this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

This matter has been reported in the paper of record here......

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1221/breaking21.html

Nuac i don't think any improper comments have been made. Everybody in the county is taking a great interest in this matter out of solidarity with the family and everybody wants to see a resolution.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

pls people be careful in your comments

mods consider closing this thread

There is no need to close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

What exactly does it mean when it says "file being sent to DPP" Is it up to the dpp then if charges can be brought or are the wheels already in motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What exactly does it mean when it says "file being sent to DPP" Is it up to the dpp then if charges can be brought or are the wheels already in motion?

It's up to the DPP to decide if there is a case or not based on the evidence provided by the gardai.

Suffice to say that if there was sufficient evidence the person would have been charged by the gardai, already.

Nuac best person to discuss this but not sure if this may prejudice the proceedings, or if I haven't already.

Yop, with great respect I again suggest this thread should be closed. If you are not a lawyer, pls talk t0 one

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as we only discuss what been reported in the paper and no court proceedings are in the future I don't see an issue. The man was released without charge. And let's not get entangled in legal discussion, that's for another forum.

nuac, if you disagree with me and yop then feel free to contact Cmods Black Swan and Mr Magnolia.

Thanks Biko. I dont know how to contact those eminent persons, and am busy with other matters just now. I suggest the owners of this board take legal advice about this issue.

?! Confusion. Nobody here is breaking any laws we're just offering our sympathies? I may not work in the legal field but I have a law degree and am utterly perplexed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Charging a person and deciding on whether there is sufficient evidence to proceed through the court process are completely different issues.

The DPP can always be consulted for advice prior to charging or issuing a summons. The DPP or his representative will consider whether there is a likelyhood of a succesfull prosecution based on the evidence provided and whether there may be any public interest issues.

As far as this thread is concerned I have no idea what Nuac is alluding to but can see nothing of any concern in any of the posts. ( I also have a criminal law background). These matters are discussed openly up and down the country and in the press. Perhaps Nuac could enlighten us?

:confused::confused:

TT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement