Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandra Collins

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

1. I note the various comments. In general terms:.

2. There is great sympathy in the county for the Collins family

3. The print and electronic media do comment on garda enquiries. In doing so they are behaving as professionals, knowing what may and may not be published. In cases of doubt they have access to appropriate legal advice.

4. These boards like many are wide open. Once registered as a member you can post whatever you like about anything. A mod may review and delete it, but as mods are not there 7/24/60/60, an improper post may be there for some time, and recorded or republished.

5 On some boards i.e. the Castlebar Discussion board whatever you post does not appear for some hours and is obviously screened by a moderator.

6 A defendant accused of a serious crime has a right to trial by jury. A defendant can claim that a particular public comment is prejudicial to his or her fair trial in that a jury may be influenced by such remarks, and seek various remedies including dismissal of the case against him ( or her ). Anything put on an internet discussion board is a public commment. Public recorded comments made anywhere, even before return for trial, may be used in such an application.

7. Therfore if this thread is not being closed I suggest that the mods or board owner take legal advice.

8. I have worked 40+ years as a lawyer. Have spent many days in court. Not a good place to be if avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Sorry if I am being slow witted here but nothing in Nuac's response explains why he thinks any of the comments made by posters may breach rules relating to Subjudice (Matters under consideration). i.e. in danger of interfering with the potential course of proceedings.

Nuacs first 6 points are fact and do not answer the original query. The 7th is opinion and not explained and the last is irrelevent. Like him, I have spent many many hours in court though what relevence this has to the original point I know not.

A arrest is sufficient to bring matters into subjudice rules but there have been no comments on Garda enquiries, no names, no allegations, no gossip. In fact more has been reported in the National papers than discussed on this forum.

I have one last point. If my post took several hours to appear on these boards due to censoring issues then I would not bother being a member - And I suspect many other members would agree.

TT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement