Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning something to the Shop with receipt?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

So you buy something in Maplins but find it somewhere online where its 3 times cheaper..

I buy it off the net, when it arrives I can use it.

Can I bring back the item to Maplins with the receipt and get a full refund?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Joebits wrote: »
    So you buy something in Maplins but find it somewhere online where its 3 times cheaper..

I buy it off the net, when it arrives I can use it.

Can I bring back the item to Maplins with the receipt and get a full refund?

You can try, Maplin would have absolutely no reason to offer you a refund other than their own goodwill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

Mactard wrote: »
    You can try, Maplin would have absolutely no reason to offer you a refund other than their own goodwill.

What are the legalities? What are my rights as a consumer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Joebits wrote: »
    What are the legalities? What are my rights as a consumer?

There's no consumer law to cover changing your mind, they have absolutely no obligatiion to take the item back in this instance. However some shops will take items back as a goodwill gesture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

dearg lady wrote: »
    There's no consumer law to cover changing your mind, they have absolutely no obligatiion to take the item back in this instance. However some shops will take items back as a goodwill gesture

Just to add that Maplin's may have added to your consumer rights if they've published a policy saying they'll accept items back within 28 days or whatever. Of course, if that is their policy (and I have a feeling that it is) then they probably won't give you grief anyway (i.e. you won't have to assert your rights).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thing is, if you bought it online you'd have every right to get a refund, you can even change your mind. Online has more rights. I never buy anything on spec anymore, I use google to research and buy online

• Advertisement
Advertisement