Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rent going up??

Options
  • 23-03-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    Is it just me or in the last three weeks or so does it seem that all the newly adverstised apartment for rent around north Dublin seem to be slightly more expensive than the last few months. Nearly all of the latest 2 bed room apartments seem to be around 900 or more when before half where down around the 800/850 mark, is it just me or is rent going back up,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

asking rents may have increased in a few instances - but paid rents are not known.

does it seem likely with unemployment rising & income falling that rents would actually increase?

but to counteract that argument the graph below shows a fall in the supply of rental properties in recent times. Stock of 1/2-beds available to rent, by region (2007 average = 100)

rent-stock-1.png

Remember people are forced into rrenting in many instances as they cannot access mortgage credit.

i would compare & contrast other similar properties in the area you are looking in before deciding to haggle on the rent.

bear in mind that NAMA, particularly in the greater Dublin area, is restricting the supply of new rental properties so as to keep rents artificially high. it's all a game to them but it's a bitch for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Nobody is buying. Good rental properties are still somewhat scarce. Also some landlords are nuts. And loads of tenants don't shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Do you think we will see a rise or a fall in the up coming months,
    As many people i just cant afford to buy due to not having enough for a deposit ,which is really annoying as i well beleive i could keep up repayments but the just cant seem to save enough for a deposit, but will certainly be looking to rent in the next month or 2m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Do you think we will see a rise or a fall in the up coming months,
    As many people i just cant afford to buy due to not having enough for a deposit ,which is really annoying as i well beleive i could keep up repayments but the just cant seem to save enough for a deposit, but will certainly be looking to rent in the next month or 2m

if you cannot demonstrate that you can save for a deposit then you won't secure a mortgage.

Advertisement