Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumboe Wood

Options
  • 23-03-2011 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

hi all... wonder whats going on at Drumboe, trees being felled there this last few days right opposite Jackson's Hotel car park.. anyone know the story?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

someone told me recently they're cutting down an entire wood up near ballybofey, could that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I walk my dog there, but haven't been since before Christmas. I was intending to start again now that the evenings are lighter. I hope they don't ruin it!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

As far as i know they are removeing the fir only and replacen them with hard wood but thats just my thoughts .

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Sorry to hear this , I have some fond memories of the trees in Drumboe woods from my school days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just commented the other day that there is a lot of tree cutting (and verge cutting) going on around. Probably just thinning out certain areas. Isn't there a regulation that this can only be done at a certain time of the year (which I guess is now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just commented the other day that there is a lot of tree cutting (and verge cutting) going on around. Probably just thinning out certain areas. Isn't there a regulation that this can only be done at a certain time of the year (which I guess is now).

Section 40 of the Wildlife Act 1976, incorporating section 46 of the Wildlife (Amendment) Act 2000

(a) It shall be an offence for a person to cut, grub, burn or otherwise destroy, during the period beginning on the 1st day of March and ending on the 31st day of August in any year, any vegetation growing on any land not then cultivated.

(b) It shall be an offence for a person to cut grub, burn or otherwise destroy any vegetation growing in any hedge or ditch during the period mentioned in paragraph (a ) of this subsection.

(2) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply in relation to – (a) the destroying, in the ordinary course of agriculture or forestry, of any vegetation growing on or in any hedge or ditch;
    (b) the cutting or grubbing of isolated bushes or clumps or gorse, furze or whin or the mowing of isolated growths or fern in the ordinary course of agriculture.

(c) The cutting, grubbing or destroying of vegetation in the course of any works being duly carried out for reasons of public health or safety by a Minister or the Government or a body established or regulated by or under a statute.
    (cc) the clearance of vegetation in the course of fisheries development works carried out by the Central Fisheries Board or a regional fisheries board in the exercise of its functions under the Fisheries Acts, 1959 to 1999;

(d) the destroying of any noxious weed to which the Noxious Weeds Act 1936, applies

(e) the clearance of vegetation in the course of road or other construction works or in the development or preparation of sites on which any building or other structure in intended to be provided.

(f) The removal or destruction of vegetation required by a notice served by the Minister under section 62(1) of the Act of 1946 to be removed or destroyed;

never stopped anyone though a lot of hedgerows been ripped up last summer and trees cut in the last 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

.17hmr wrote: »
    As far as i know they are removeing the fir only and replacen them with hard wood but thats just my thoughts .

I just heard this today also. They x-rayed some of the trees and found some of them to be unsafe because the centres were rotting and they could come down more easily in high wind. They are planting hardwood in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Section 40 of the Wildlife Act 1976, incorporating section 46 of the Wildlife (Amendment) Act 2000

(a) It shall be an offence for a person to cut, grub, burn or otherwise destroy, during the period beginning on the 1st day of March and ending on the 31st day of August in any year, any vegetation growing on any land not then cultivated.

(b) It shall be an offence for a person to cut grub, burn or otherwise destroy any vegetation growing in any hedge or ditch during the period mentioned in paragraph (a ) of this subsection.

(2) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply in relation to – (a) the destroying, in the ordinary course of agriculture or forestry, of any vegetation growing on or in any hedge or ditch;
    (b) the cutting or grubbing of isolated bushes or clumps or gorse, furze or whin or the mowing of isolated growths or fern in the ordinary course of agriculture.

(c) The cutting, grubbing or destroying of vegetation in the course of any works being duly carried out for reasons of public health or safety by a Minister or the Government or a body established or regulated by or under a statute.
    (cc) the clearance of vegetation in the course of fisheries development works carried out by the Central Fisheries Board or a regional fisheries board in the exercise of its functions under the Fisheries Acts, 1959 to 1999;

(d) the destroying of any noxious weed to which the Noxious Weeds Act 1936, applies

(e) the clearance of vegetation in the course of road or other construction works or in the development or preparation of sites on which any building or other structure in intended to be provided.

(f) The removal or destruction of vegetation required by a notice served by the Minister under section 62(1) of the Act of 1946 to be removed or destroyed;

All off this does not matter if you can prove that the trees are in a weak condition and are a danger to the public .its about time they cut them to be honest .but they will be missed by some.

Advertisement