Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things to do in Galway City....

Options
  • 23-03-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently changed jobs where i have my evenings free. Am looking for stuff to do to pass the time in the evenings in the city or nearby.

I've done the norm of walk the prom etc and to be honest i find it a little monotonous, does anyone have any other ideas on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mcmurphy995

Free poetry gigs in the evening , over the edge , north beach etc !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Driving range out by Salthill, Bowling, Gaming places like Square Eyes in town. I'm a little bored myself when I have evenings free but only because I'm not pushed by what is out there to do..I usually end up working late most days though. So it's a case that when I have free time I'm not motivated to do much else

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

You could try volunteering, plenty of these organisations operate in the evening time, thats what I am currently doing with my free time and you would be amazed at the satisfaction you get from it. Here is a good site for finding voluteer work in Galway http://www.volunteergalway.ie/volunteer-vacancies

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are a LOT of options in Galway: give us some clues what you're interested in, and we might be able to target suggestions a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

hi swinty - how long have you lived in Galway - I think from a previous post about ten years or so. Could you not organise something with your friends for an evening - different walks, swimming, cinema, theatre, classes. Sorry but going by your first post, people might think you have just moved here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Start a crocheting gossiping club. Alternate with knitting or lace-mending for some extra fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

birdwatching around the town ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

How can you not think of something to do?! Galway is full of clubs, societies, groups etc, has a very active volunteering sector, has the sea and countryside...

Try any kind of sport you can think of - soccer etc, hockey, tennis and squash, running, cycling, horse riding, sailing, swimming, hill walking, kayaking.

Try the arts - drama, choirs, macnas, painting, stained glass, film club, dancing of every kind, reading club, music groups like Dusty Banjos.

Try a night class - learn a musical instrument, a new language, a new skill...

Try reading the Advertiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You could try volunteering, plenty of these organisations operate in the evening time, thats what I am currently doing with my free time and you would be amazed at the satisfaction you get from it. Here is a good site for finding voluteer work in Galway http://www.volunteergalway.ie/volunteer-vacancies

I was interested in volunteering before but the office is in town, I couldn't meet with anybody at a time that actually worked for me as I work on the other side of town and anything I was interesting in doing could only be done during the week. Volunteering in Galway seems to be more aimed at the unemployed!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I was interested in volunteering before but the office is in town, I couldn't meet with anybody at a time that actually worked for me as I work on the other side of town and anything I was interesting in doing could only be done during the week. Volunteering in Galway seems to be more aimed at the unemployed!

I was lucky to find something that suited me fairly quickly but I work weekends. I volunteer every Tuesday night and do other things for them at home. It might depend on what you are interested in too, I am volunteering in environmental based projects which I do have an interest in and fortunately for me there are projects available during the week and the weekends so if my hours change I do have options :)

Keep an eye on that site though as it seems to update on a regular enough basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

What part of the city are you in? There are Resource Centres in Ballybane and Westside that run classes for free in lots of areas - art, cardmaking, craft and sewing, computers, music. They are also open to ideas. I'm sure there are community centres in other areas that run activities also. If not become a community activist in your area!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Volunteer Center are running a 2 day volunteering exhibit in Eyre Square Shopping Center next saturday and sunday.

Over 30 organisation will be present and each will have a range of opportunities you might like.

Everything from Brigits Garden in Roscahill/moy cullen to Foundation Nepal in salt hill to consider.

Go Along and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Brewers on the bay beer festival in Salthill is coming up in May

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Get in touch with The Galway Volunteer Centre on Millstreet and explain how you can't come in to talk during the week. They'll find a way around it.

Advertisement