Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(another) Cycle to Work Query/Evans cycles

• 23-03-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Looking for clarification on a possible cycle to work purchase.

Bike is from Evans Cycles online at £1100 (say approx €1300).
    1) To be paid for by my company. Do I request it is delivered VAT free for the company and let accounts here pay local VAT over here?

2) As the limit is €1000, what is the typical method of paying additional the €300 above this? (giving a cheque to company without issuing an invoice? take from next net paycheque?)

3) Anyone any experience with Evans with or without the cycle to work scheme?

Cheers
    M/L

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

1) Yes
    2) Either option should be fine
    3) Yes - no problems whatsoever (not BTW though)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Beasty wrote: »
    1) Yes
    2) Either option should be fine
    3) Yes - no problems whatsoever (not BTW though)

Cheers.
    Having bought other stuff for the company from the UK, I'm expecting the usual battle trying to explain that they shouldn't charge VAT if exported to an Irish business. If they do not relent, will it cause problems having a receipt with UK VAT?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cheers.
    Having bought other stuff for the company from the UK, I'm expecting the usual battle trying to explain that they shouldn't charge VAT if exported to an Irish business. If they do not relent, will it cause problems having a receipt with UK VAT?

Should be straightforward - your employer should provide its Irish VAT number to Evans, which allows them to export the bike without charging VAT

The problem is that if your employer pays UK VAT it then has to add Irish VAT also

Can you get the bike in question from CRC or Wiggle (who already charge Irish VAT and no adjustment to their retail prices is required), or Slane Cycles (who will accept the Irish VAT number to allow them to sell to your employer without VAT)

Bike is a rather tasty Cannondale that they have agreed to do a price match with another online shop in the UK so it's now over £400 less than list.
    Only viable option is Evans.

Should be straightforward - your employer should provide its Irish VAT number to Evans, which allows them to export the bike without charging VAT

The problem is that if your employer pays UK VAT it then has to add Irish VAT also

Can you get the bike in question from CRC or Wiggle (who already charge Irish VAT and no adjustment to their retail prices is required), or Slane Cycles (who will accept the Irish VAT number to allow them to sell to your employer without VAT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I bought a bike from Germany through that BTW scheme.

The way it worked out for me was as follows.

My employer bought it with zero VAT. My employer then added VAT at 21%. This brought the total to €1100. The €1000 was then taken out of my salary in installments and the €100 is given to me as a BIK (as per the rules of the scheme on revenue.ie). I lodged €100 into my employer's account to balance out the BIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I presume here it's the case that the employer has to add the difference between UK and Irish VAT rather than adding the full 21% on top of the UK VAT? The employer is not selling the bike on to you but rather giving you an interest-free loan to make the purchase.

Actually, in that case, I'm not sure that the employer should be adjusting to Irish VAT at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I presume here it's the case that the employer has to add the difference between UK and Irish VAT rather than adding the full 21% on top of the UK VAT? The employer is not selling the bike on to you but rather giving you an interest-free loan to make the purchase.

The Irish Revenue will want their full wack, that I can assure you. It will be 21% on the net price of the bike (i.e before the UK VAT is added). However your employer can claim the UK VAT from the Irish Revenue through this procedure (ignore the heading and go down to the para that starts "The system for EU registered Traders changed with effect form 01/01/2010"). It's a bit cumbersome if it is just a once-off.

Well, to answer my own questions above..
    After being bounced around and plenty of being put on hold, a very helpful lad in Evans sorted it out.
    Usual send Fax with company VAT details. They check online and process the order on the phone. No problem with the price match either and free shipping even though the VAT free price put it below their treashold amount.

Just hope the order ships ok now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi MunsterLeinster,
    How did you get on purchasing from Evans for cycle to work scheme?
    I want to buy from them.
    Can you tell me step by step what to do.
    Thanks
    Pajoe

Advertisement