Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French oral help PLEASE:)

• 23-03-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hey! This is my first time posting here so pardon me for any mistakes! :)

Anyway, i have my french mock oral tomorrow and I am really freaked out! I have been revising a little everyday and my teacher's notes are great but it's just that I have NEVER experienced an oral before...I mean we have been paired up with other students in class alright but never any one to one oral with the teacher and tomorrow will be my very first time! I am really freaking out and think will end up messing it 2moro cos of this!
    I was jw if anyone of ye could kind of help me as to what should I do to revise for it? Any key topics or anything?
    And what do I do with my document? I mean just go in and give it to the teacher or wait until she asks me and should I like give an intro kinda thing to my document or should I wait for the teacher to ask questions?

I would appreciate any help at all!
    Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I just did my pre oral last Saturday. Don't worry about never having experienced an oral exam before, that's exactly why you have mocks!:)

Make sure you know yourself, your family, school, what you want to do after the leaving cert, what you did last summer/weekend, and what you'll do this summer/weekend. Make sure you have topics that cover all of the tenses because they have to examine you in them.

Just place your document on the table where the examiner can see it, there's no need to hand it to them. You don't need to have an introduction to it, they'll start the discussion on it with an open question like "why did you choose this as your document" or "talk about your document."

You'll be grand! Most of my year didn't even bring a document into their oral. I did just to see what kind of questions I might be asked.

Good luck!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Thanks a mill Meehan. :) That really helped! :) Ya many people in my year aren't bringing in their documents too but I really wanna see how it goes and wanna make all the mistakes now rather than in the real one. Thanks again! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I think you need to relax cocopops. You seem like you're over-stressing. Relax, treat it like a friendly conversation. My examiner (Leaving Cert.) was a lovely bloke and the kind you'd have a pint with, if only my standard of French was good enough! Also, this is the 'pre', not the real thing, any mistakes you make, you can learn from.

Know your stuff, relax, show off what you know. Godspeed with it!

Quick note, write normally, don't "bold" everything, that'll nark people fairly quickly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 radiateur

You'll be fine.

From the teacher's perspective, we're here to give you all the marks we possibly can - there's no negative marking. Great idea to bring the document, proven that those who use it do better than those who don't. Smile when you go into the room, hand over your document and remember to say "Bonjour" and feel free to tell them you're nervous! Also if by any chance they forget to ask your document just remind them before you leave - we HAVE to ask you on it once you produce one. (Just say "excusez-moi, Monsieur/Madame, j'ai un document")

Bon courage! It's great you get a trial run!

@ReacherCreature: Thank you so much for the help! The oral didn't go that well as my nerves got the better of me but as you said, It's just the pre so I can learn from my mistakes. :) I have another trial one next week so will hopefully do better on that. Thanks again. And sorry about the bold,it's my bad habit! :-P Will not do it again. Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

@radiateur: Thank you too for the tips...will surely keep them in mind. Have another practice oral next week....thanks for the help! :)

Advertisement