Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consolidation of Subsidiary by Golden Share

Options
  • 23-03-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Anyone know if you should / have to consolidate a subsidiary that is only a subsidiary by golden share?

I know that a golden share makes a sub under FRS 2 / Co. Acts but under the equity method in FRS there isn't any equity share of net assets to include on consolidation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You would have to consolidate as the company is controlled by the holding company. Even though in terms of equity the golden share is only a small proportion of the share capital it is control that is the overriding issue. So 100% of the assets must be included in the consolidation.

Kind Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gaddrep2

Thanks dbran. Is there any out to avoid consolidating a golden group, that I could technically stand over?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

gaddrep2 wrote: »
    Thanks dbran. Is there any out to avoid consolidating a golden group, that I could technically stand over?

Exclusions of a subsidary from consolidation

- with effect from April 2009 if a subsidary satisfies the definition of a Asset held for resale

- on the basis that IFRS, IAS's and FRS only apply to material matters, it may be argue that a subsidary can be excluded on the grounds of immaterialy.

Hi

As Ant mentioned some possible ways to exclude it from consolidation. Another is if to include it would incur unreasonable costs far and above the benefit of inclusion in consolidation.

Presumably is is a large company group and not exempt from consolidation anyway? Also I assume it is material as otherwise you would not be asking the question.

Kind Regards

Dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gaddrep2

Thanks.

No if the golden share creates a group it breaches the consolidation threshold alright. However the shares were really only put in place to avoid s. 31 breaches and allow some funds to move between companies. Consolidation wasn't the motive.

• Advertisement

gaddrep2 wrote: »
    Thanks.

No if the golden share creates a group it breaches the consolidation threshold alright. However the shares were really only put in place to avoid s. 31 breaches and allow some funds to move between companies. Consolidation wasn't the motive.

But it is the unfortunate byproduct....

Advertisement