Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A restoration tale (with pics)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Christ, it could be a while before I get neaer that boat again. I went to Lidl (Carrick) yesterday to pick up one of their gazebo's, sold out! Went on cross country to Roscommon, sold out! It's not meant to be!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you . . . . . Summer 2011

170881.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I did up a boat in a pvc tunnel, a local farmer had one that the plastic had ripped off and was not been used so I asked him for a lone of a few poles off it, with 4 poles I was able to cover a 23 foot boat it was also well able to stand up to the wind where as I think it would be a nightmare with one of those tents.
    Might be worth your while having a look around. This is the type I mean.

CR%20PVC%20Hoop%20House%20Endwall%20Bear%20Creek%20Farm%20Osceola%20MO%2012_01%20TC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fanintheattic

Aazing stuff just read it from start to finish sorry present. Keep up the good work I would love to do somethng like this myself.Well done you. I,m a carpenter and not too far (Athlone) if you need any advice on fit out drop me a line not that i think you need it your doing so well by your own some. Oh on the windows keep the original 70,s bono wrap arounds soo cool!!!

Aazing stuff just read it from start to finish sorry present. Keep up the good work I would love to do somethng like this myself.Well done you. I,m a carpenter and not too far (Athlone) if you need any advice on fit out drop me a line not that i think you need it your doing so well by your own some. Oh on the windows keep the original 70,s bono wrap arounds soo cool!!!

Many thanks Fanintheattic

I guess my next job is cutting out panels (access) in the top of the cabin seating. But then I need to run stringers across the deck floor and lay down a floor (18mm marine ply).

Any tips as to how to get the shape / coutour right on the stringers? Lets say I run 3 stringers across, is it simple enough to get them all level with one another?

...and that's another thing? How do I know what level is in this boat? What's my reference point for levelling, I guess I can level her side to side but what about lengthways? Christ! hadn't thought about this too much

fergal.b wrote: »
    I did up a boat in a pvc tunnel, a local farmer had one that the plastic had ripped off and was not been used so I asked him for a lone of a few poles off it, with 4 poles I was able to cover a 23 foot boat it was also well able to stand up to the wind where as I think it would be a nightmare with one of those tents.
    Might be worth your while having a look around. This is the type I mean.

What did ya cover it with Fergal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I used plastic it was a bit warm on hot days but also a bit warm on cold days:D
    If you could get your hands on some corrugated sheeting you could make a themporary shed but the plastic would be the cheapest. It was also able to open at each end to keep it cool on very hot days "back when we had summers"

DSCI0004-1-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sausages79

Love this project/story - I would love your patience and skill - I think the satisfaction you will get when launched will be great....cant wait for it.

The only issue I see is you will then want that sense of satisfaction again that you will have to do it all over agin!!! And as a poster said earlier this time you will have to get RTE to do a show on it!!!

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NewHope

Hi dnme, following your "adventure" for the last few days when my nephew sent me a link. You are an inspiration. All the blood sweet and tears will be worth it when you and the Lab are sitting on her watching the sun go down, or rise and you feel the peace, joy and tranquility of the lake, what a feeling.
    I might have a pair on original Freeman cabin lights, might suit a classic refit if they are any good to you PM me. What about “MeTime" for a name, you`ll need it by the time you’re finished..
    Good Luck Man....

dnme wrote: »

Many thanks Fanintheattic

I guess my next job is cutting out panels (access) in the top of the cabin seating. But then I need to run stringers across the deck floor and lay down a floor (18mm marine ply).

Any tips as to how to get the shape / coutour right on the stringers? Lets say I run 3 stringers across, is it simple enough to get them all level with one another?

...and that's another thing? How do I know what level is in this boat? What's my reference point for levelling, I guess I can level her side to side but what about lengthways? Christ! hadn't thought about this too much

Right I've been thinking about this so here it goes. Measure up 4" at front and back of deck area mark with a piece of tape above line string a line in a grid pattern of say six by six this grid is the true plane of the deck and you can measure down to the " floor " to get sizes of your stringers. It's not level as in spirt level level but it would be true and stable. If you wanted to get it true level I would imagine you'd need to get the water line the only way I can think of doing that is get the weight of the boat convert to volume fill water volume into boat and see where it settles allowing for displacement your water line would two inches higher than the level of the water in the boat I think. It's a long time since I did any volume to weight calculations.

Right I've been thinking about this so here it goes. Measure up 4" at front and back of deck area mark with a piece of tape above line string a line in a grid pattern of say six by six this grid is the true plane of the deck and you can measure down to the " floor " to get sizes of your stringers. It's not level as in spirt level level but it would be true and stable. If you wanted to get it true level I would imagine you'd need to get the water line the only way I can think of doing that is get the weight of the boat convert to volume fill water volume into boat and see where it settles allowing for displacement your water line would two inches higher than the level of the water in the boat I think. It's a long time since I did any volume to weight calculations.

Measuring 4" up is the problem. The floor is curbed, uneven etc. 4" up in one place is different to 4" up in another place. Look not to worry, I'll figure it out. I might actually fill it with water and see if i can choc it to what appears level, then mark a line at watertop etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Measuring 4" up is the problem. The floor is curbed, uneven etc. 4" up in one place is different to 4" up in another place. Look not to worry, I'll figure it out. I might actually fill it with water and see if i can choc it to what appears level, then mark a line at watertop etc.

Have you any old photos that show the water line on the outside. You could scale off measurements from them maybe and choc the boat level to these. It would be a start. Then you could fill the floor with water on inside to find a common level.

Might want to keep in mind too that from now on, most of the weight added will be towards to front of the boat (but an old water line should take account of this I suppose).

harry21 wrote: »
    Have you any old photos that show the water line on the outside. You could scale off measurements from them maybe and choc the boat level to these. It would be a start. Then you could fill the floor with water on inside to find a common level.

Might want to keep in mind too that from now on, most of the weight added will be towards to front of the boat (but an old water line should take account of this I suppose).

I wouldn't trust the old water line. Some joe just covered the bottom in black bitumen. I can level it side to side with a lath and a level. Bow to stern I'll do by eye I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I wouldn't trust the old water line. Some joe just covered the bottom in black bitumen. I can level it side to side with a lath and a level. Bow to stern I'll do by eye I think.

If thats the same 'Joe' that did some of the repairs (can I call them that??) you found so far I wouldn't blame you.:D

Regards leveling it front to back there is a line (not sure if its a water line) in the 3rd picture of your first post. Might be a starting point??:confused:

Sorry to hear about your back and neck:o... get well soon

You could run 2 or 3 bits of string from one side to the other side along the white lines here at the side of the boat and tape them in place then run one from the transom to the bow and when it touches the other strings you should have a level floor line.:)
    166891.jpg

Day 42

Coming up on tonight’s ‘A restoration Tale…’
    Can the boat really be haunted?

A rare break in the wet and grey for the afternoon. My neck drugs are kickin ion so I’m off out to hack away at the money boat. Thought I'd cut me some seat panels. Well….the idea is to cut out access panels in the cabin seat tops. I will then try and line them someway and make lids or perhaps ply seat covers on hinges, whatever.

Now, in cutting out access panels, I was immediately reminded of the two repair patches on starboard bow that I never got round to investigating. Well it’s amazing how one job can not only lead to another, but become another – altogether. So…I’m no longer working on seat panels, I am now working on more hull repairs. One step up, two steps back (great song – Springsteen).

1. Now, what about my attention grabbing red top headline? We’ll I’m not saying that the boat is haunted one way or another, but all I know is that I went in and made a cup of coffee. I brought it out along with a plate containing 5, yes “Five” Jaffa cakes. I placed the plate down on the port side of the deck and went in to the cabin to do something. When I returned, the plate only contained 3, yes “Three” biscuits. Compelling evidence I think you’ll agree, I mean; what else could it be ?
    171025.jpg

2. Drawing lines and stuff, nothing in the boat is true, level or even etc; so reference points are hard to come by. The rectangles that you see on each side seat correspond to the inside of the glassed timber supports underneath, and even these do not mirror each other at all.
    171026.jpg

3. Every sodding pilot hole I drilled, went into timber, who knew?
    171027.jpg

4. I wonder when was the last time that bow hull saw daylight?
    171028.jpg

5. Just wanted to mention these. The sanding disks are 12 quid for a pack of 5 in my local hardware. Here is a pack of 25 for the same 12 quid from Amazon. I rest my case, who could buy anything in this crazy country anymore.
    The torch is one I just bought to replace one I broke in anger when at the boat last week. I mention it because it could be the very thing for all boaters. Its a Lenser P7. Youtube it. It's one of the most incredible things I have ever owned. It arrived yesterday and I took it out last night for a trial. It was like artificial daylight. It lit up my entire neighbourhood. It has a beam focus, you can spotlight or wide area. It is so awesome. Serious little piece of kit, it also has low and high settings and aparently very long battery life. And it takes regular aaa's so you can buy rechargables etc. highly recommended.
    171029.jpg

5. And from the activity above, new horrrors. So much so, that I decided to film for a bit. Hope you find these interesting, let me know if its boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Reading the updates to this thread religiously every night - Thanks and well done for the very interesting, entertaining and humoristic documentation of each and every step towards a soon-to-come successful and rewarding achievement ! :)

Just a thought, now that you have opened up the bow, would it be an idea to keep it accessible in the future? There always are plenty of things on a boat you want to store somewhere and have no place to keep it.

As far as the colour scheme and naming of the boat, I suggest yellow and white. Yellow is always nice and cheerful on a boat. For the name, I suggest "Black Arrow" : Black for the Sligo colours and Arrow for the Lough ! :) Of course, these reasons in additional to the actual novel of adventure and romance (between your boat and yourself that is ! :D).

The ghost ... is not that greedy really - he should really have taken the 5 Jaffa Cakes :)

I have to add I love the doggie - she is absolutely gorgeous ! :)

Keep up the good work ! :)

ValerieR

ValerieR wrote: »
    Reading the updates to this thread religiously every night - Thanks and well done for the very interesting, entertaining and humoristic documentation of each and every step towards a soon-to-come successful and rewarding achievement ! :)

Just a thought, now that you have opened up the bow, would it be an idea to keep it accessible in the future? There always are plenty of things on a boat you want to store somewhere and have no place to keep it.

As far as the colour scheme and naming of the boat, I suggest yellow and white. Yellow is always nice and cheerful on a boat. For the name, I suggest "Black Arrow" : Black for the Sligo colours and Arrow for the Lough ! :) Of course, these reasons in additional to the actual novel of adventure and romance (between your boat and yourself that is ! :D).

The ghost ... is not that greedy really - he should really have taken the 5 Jaffa Cakes :)

I have to add I love the doggie - she is absolutely gorgeous ! :)

Keep up the good work ! :)

ValerieR

Well god bless ya Valarie. Its the silly season I guess and replies are thin on the grounf atm. Great to hear from you.

1. Opened up the bow, well opened up the seating. The whole point being to create access panels for accessing the space underneath for storage.

2. The ghost - who knows! All I can say is, If I hadn't returned when I did, the entire plate was history. But the dog is a she. Her name is Honey. Shes a rescue so I didn't name her. I brought her up from Kerry last year after posting a request on Irishdogs.ie. Shes a dote, highly intelligent and very vocal - loads of loud yawns, moans when I talk to her, snores, howls and kicks the door to get in etc. Shes a beauty, I love her dearly.

2. The ghost - who knows! All I can say is, If I hadn't returned when I did, the entire plate was history. But the dog is a she. Her name is Honey. Shes a rescue so I didn't name her. I brought her up from Kerry last year after posting a request on Irishdogs.ie. Shes a dote, highly intelligent and very vocal - loads of loud yawns, moans when I talk to her, snores, howls and kicks the door to get in etc. Shes a beauty, I love her dearly.

LOL - it does sound very much like ours. He's a black lab-collie X and his name is Casper (a real ghost !!! :p)

p1090863-mod_400x300_9cee10cd6993fe8af3ae997e4c6cf660.jpg

I hope the day is as nice and sunny up there as it is promised here.

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Keep up the trojan work dnme - you're doing so well!

The vid is great - I know you don't have time to be doing too many of them, but maybe a weekly update/review of progress is an option?

Those 2 'new' holes in the hull are a real pain - but you're right to tackle them now. They would nag at you forever otherwise.

As you're being plagued by rain, here's a link to a good weather site:

http://www.meteoblue.com/en_GB/point/forecast/week/f/7914/c/ie

It shows the 7 day forecast for Sligo - if you click on the icon/pictogram under Day/Date, it give the hour by hour forecast.

The RainSpot feature lower down the page is useful also.

Met.ie's Rainfall radar is good for current conditions, but Meteoblue is good for 3 days out - I don't think anyone will commit to longer unless we get get a big high or low pressure system.

Anyway, hope it helps a bit, and I'll keep reading!

Many thanks blindsider and I'll have a look at that link today.

• Advertisement

ValerieR wrote: »
    LOL - it does sound very much like ours. He's a black lab-collie X and his name is Casper (a real ghost !!! :p)

I hope the day is as nice and sunny up there as it is promised here.

ValerieR

Your dog is a stunner, but whats with the life jacket? are you far out at sea?

fergal.b wrote: »
    You could run 2 or 3 bits of string from one side to the other side along the white lines here at the side of the boat and tape them in place then run one from the transom to the bow and when it touches the other strings you should have a level floor line.:)
    166891.jpg[/Quote

Just another thought on finding a starting point for levelling the deck. In some of your recent photos I noticed you can still see where the original seating was( just above Honey's shoulder in most recent photo ) the seats were prob level with original deck if you measure down from this line you would be very close if not spot on level. Save you the hassle of complicated conversions and filling the boat with water. How about "no hassle" for a name I'm feeling ironic today as I started a job that would only take two hours at nine this morning and I'm only half way through, did no trades man in this country have a level back in the boom times ducking ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 big zeb

Hi dnme, firstly like everyone else whos commented before me congrats on the work so far, I take my hat off to you. Having done various rebuild projects on cars/ campers etc in the past I know how difficult it can be to find the drive to keep going when your at it on your own day after day but there's a chink of light shining at the end of the tunnel as bright as your new torch:D. So now that i've offered up my tuppence woth of moral support I can only give you a suggestion or two for a name for your legacy of patience. I suggest "The Enemy Within" (dnme within get it?) or maybe An Namhaid for an irish twist. Anyway keep the faith and keep posting.

big zeb wrote: »
    Hi dnme, firstly like everyone else whos commented before me congrats on the work so far, I take my hat off to you. Having done various rebuild projects on cars/ campers etc in the past I know how difficult it can be to find the drive to keep going when your at it on your own day after day but there's a chink of light shining at the end of the tunnel as bright as your new torch:D. So now that i've offered up my tuppence woth of moral support I can only give you a suggestion or two for a name for your legacy of patience. I suggest "The Enemy Within" (dnme within get it?) or maybe An Namhaid for an irish twist. Anyway keep the faith and keep posting.

many thanks Zeb.

By the way folks, I mentioned in an earlier post that "I felt the hand of history upon us":cool: as the boat was now watertight for the first time since I got her. Well we're gonna have to take the hands off for a few days :D cos after last nights escapades, we're back to holes in hulls.

Also, there may be good news on the front windows issue. Waiting for a phone call tonight. Watch this space for breaking news:D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Watch this space for breaking news

We're all watching dnme with Baited Breath:D:D

Sorry I can't offer anything more constructive, enjoying the posts and vids your making powerful progress;)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I love this thread - cannot wait to see the finished product. I just hope it isn't too soon. :D

Your dog is a stunner, but whats with the life jacket? are you far out at sea?

Thank you ! I think he is a stunner too !! ;)

Galway Bay can be big and wild ... we are assuming that if the dog went overboard, the life jacket would help him staying afloat. It takes a while with a (sailing) boat to manoeuvre back to a man-over-board (or dog-over-board in this case) especially in rough conditions ... Plus, it would be easier to pull a wet 35kg+ dog back on board with a handle on his back than just a regular collar.

Valerie

Day 43 - The Thief of Bagdad Ballinafad

Yesterday evening, myself and Honey took a spin up to our good neighbours the McDermottRoe's. Karl is a builder and I went to ask him if he might know where I could lay my hands on some scaffolding to try and make a shelter for the boat. Being the decent soul he is, he said I could use some of his. Many thanks again Karl if you’re watching.

Anyway, while there, Kay brought me in for a cup of tea. I left honey in the yard playing with their dog 'Guinness' (b/w sheepdog :D). I was chatting away to herself and Henry. She produces a cup of tea and a plate of homemade heaven. Whatever it was, I dunno but it was like a ginger cake packed with fruit and served in slices with butter. Kay is known for her baking and this thing was as good as home baking gets.

We shot the breeze for a half hour and then I upped and headed back out to retrieve my dog and head home. There in the yard by the back kitchen door (which had been open), was Honey, she was sorta savaging something. I looked down, in her mouth was half the cake, the rest of it was on the ground. She had obviously gone into the kitchen, up on the countertop and scarpered with the prize. I had to go back in and tell Kay. Talk about a mix of guilt, shame, wry smiles and sheepishness. I was truly humbled. Kay laughed it off. I did try to make good today with a shop bought confection......never be the same! Honey has brought shame to the family. :rolleyes::o:p:D:cool::eek::D

What?? ...... .. . . . Boat???? .... . . . . . .. . . oh yeah, ahem sorry!

Today was a minor update really in the story of this vessel. I just spent the day grinding (careful now). I was simply going to get in at the bow and repair those holes, but it then occurred to me that to do that, I would need to grind them clean, so why not do all the dam grinding in one go and get it over with. It’s such a horrible dangerous and unhealthy job that I want it done and out of the way.

I finished cutting out my access panels. To do this I just decided to ignore the constraints of the underside supports and design my panels from the top. As nothing was really true, I resorted to nature to find my measurements and lines. If you’ve never heard of the magic ratio, google it. Also when lacking precise reference points, always resort to tapers and curves, that’s what I did and I have to say, the side panels look very pleasing to the eye.

Once these were out and edges cleaned up, I was then able to get to that grinding I mentioned above. I ground out the entire cabin floor underneath all that seating. Years of old blue paint and crap. I found a big old lead fishing weight down there, the type you’d use for sea angling. So she must have been at sea in her past. It again occurred to me – the last time this grp saw daylight and all the history she has known since. If only she could talk, I’d listen to her for days on end.

So the cabin is ground clean. I also used the opportunity to start at the top of the seating. It’s a corrugated profile, horrible, awkward, caked in years of crap. I intend to grind it back a bit and fill it flat. So I got that grinding done tonight also. The grinder just ate up that corrugated profile like butter.

I gotta say one thing about that grinder. From here on in I am going to refer to it as “The Bitch”. It’s so dangerous, you have a disk spinning just by your hand at 11000 rpm. There is no guard. Your hands naturally tend to slip up along its body towards the disk. Today I put myself in so much danger trying to over reach in under that seating with this bitch ready to rip into my flesh at any given moment. While working on the bow, it slipped out of my hands. I just became aware of this crazy noise, clouds of dust and sparks as it danced around out of control and my brain struggled to find the solution - which was to get to the extension lead socket and unplug the thing. Why is it, whenever you’re in panic, a simple thing like unplugging a plug, takes ages and never goes smoothly! Mind you – I also have to say, the bitch is helping me sail through large volumes of work. If only I’d known about using it with those disks in the early days of this boat restoration, it would have saved me weeks of time spent with wire brushes, sanders, scrubbers etc. It’s doesn’t f’about, it just removes material at a very fast aggressive rate….so you gotta keep it moving, but by god it works.

1. Cutting out access panels. The magic ratio, curves and tapers along with some good measurements always make for an aestheticly pleasing design.
    Image1.jpg

2. That was one busy boat today
    Img_7085.jpg

3. More history, and old lead fishing weight under the seating.
    Img_7081.jpg

4. before and after grinding, both taken today.
    Image2.jpg

5. The bitch
    Img_6634.jpg

6. The other bitch (ah my teen years, those were the days and I've invited her to the launch, ke ke ke ke)
    bitch_poster_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Those battens along the side of the seats are to hold up your bed so dont forget about them:D.

The pieces of string levelling method that was mentioned above sounds the best. You'll never have a level boat. The engine to cabin furniture weight ratio will always be changing and the bow rises when you go faster......and those inconvenient wave things rock it about abit aswell. As for lateral levels, your steering and controls will be on one side along with your good self and that will distort the level across the beam.

I was just thinking about it there abit but is there an upstand between the cabin and the outside deck now that you are putting in a deck above the hull on the outside part?
    Pretty important if you want to keep the cabin dry and it should allow you to put in the outside floor at a level that gives you the most deck space as opposed to whats true level.

• Advertisement

Slig wrote: »
    Those battens along the side of the seats are to hold up your bed so dont forget about them

What battens?
    Slig wrote: »
    I was just thinking about it there abit but is there an upstand between the cabin and the outside deck now that you are putting in a deck above the hull on the outside part?
    Pretty important if you want to keep the cabin dry and it should allow you to put in the outside floor at a level that gives you the most deck space as opposed to whats true level.

A what? - upstand? can you explain?

Advertisement