Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A restoration tale (with pics)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

oscarBravo wrote: »

Hopefully it won't end up like this one:

spice_wreckage_-_guadeloupe_scale.jpg

:eek:

It's all oscar bravo's fault for posting the above!!! He started it.
    He should be banned from this thread now ;).

On a serious note, look at the positives
    • nobody was seriously hurt,
    • no damage to boat,
    • you talked to you neighbours today, and
    • you now have a great 'one day when I was restoring my boat' story
    Really nice job on the hull repair, easy to see where 2 hours of dremel work goes! Also great job on the posting, croping and combining pictures etc. before you post..... we do appreciate it....

Actually, I think the boat was just trying to get out on the water itself!!:P

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

harry21 wrote: »
    It's all oscar bravo's fault for posting the above!!! He started it.
    He should be banned from this thread now ;).
    :(

I had a slightly disheartening evening on my own boat project, the hole in the side panel is going to be a tougher repair than I'd hoped. I also have to repair the joint between the bottom panel and the midship seat riser.

But, dude: hang in there. I've said it before, Fergal has said it before - rocky patches go with the territory. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Take time out, clear your head. You'll look back someday and laugh, so why wait? Laugh now.

I can't believe I mentioned rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

for some reason that stupid wedding song with the lyrics "rock the boat" keeps going round my head:p, but seriously, if anything like that happens again just give me a call and I'll see about organising a forklift (or an appropriatly large chainsaw) much better than doing your back in.

dont worry too much about structural damage, if it cant take a little roll then you'd be in trouble on rough water anyway, better to find out now (but prefferably not while in the boat). If its any consolation I think I've found some mahogony panels in the "commune" that could be used for a new door or hatch cover, something you could work on outside of the boat and get you away from the fibre glassing for a while.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

"Worse things happen at sea" Keep the faith and your boat will be restored, or is it keep the boat and your faith will be restored.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Slig wrote: »
    for some reason that stupid wedding song with the lyrics "rock the boat" keeps going round my head:p, but seriously, if anything like that happens again just give me a call and I'll see about organising a forklift (or an appropriatly large chainsaw) much better than doing your back in.

dont worry too much about structural damage, if it cant take a little roll then you'd be in trouble on rough water anyway, better to find out now (but prefferably not while in the boat). If its any consolation I think I've found some mahogony panels in the "commune" that could be used for a new door or hatch cover, something you could work on outside of the boat and get you away from the fibre glassing for a while.

Slig, if you can ever deliver on that forklift, I need to move the boat, needs to be straightened and moved up the paddock after yesterdays events. I'd be very grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

When I saw you'd posted again, I held my breath when I clicked on the thread...!

No chainsaw pics, whew.

My repair job is coming on nicely. It's always the way: bad days, good days.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    When I saw you'd posted again, I held my breath when I clicked on the thread...! No chainsaw pics, whew.

No oscar, mind you I have been checking out Aldi's specials this coming Thursday!! The cun..eh..I mean boat; seems unharmed. Infact I was impressed at the absolute strength of it after it fell. Not a scratch afaics. All the comments coming in after my post were a bit of an aa meeting.:rolleyes: Lots of positive little wisdoms. Yeah! - they're helpful :cool: (I know, I know, and I'm grateful to all who replied)

Spent the day rebuilding my work table. The legs and upper tabletop laminate are in bits from all the wet. So they are now replaced, re-enforced and slapped with coats of fence preservative. Just got in before the rain, the forecast is berrr-oooooo-tal!

In the mean time I need cheering up, so I'll Soprano up into the wee small hours ands leave you with this gem

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's taken me 3 sittings just to get through this thread dnme and have to say, it's one of my favourites on boards.ie to date.

The fact the boat took it's tumble in it's stride is a testament to the quality of the work you've done on her to-date so don't get disheartened by it: try think of it as part of the Quality Assurance phase ;)

As someone who can only dream about such a project I've nothing to offer but encouragement: keep her going and consider firing a treatment and sample chapter to a couple of publishers. Something tells me there's a book in this.

Slig,

Cancel that request for a forklift, I managed to straighten and move the boat tonight using the car, a trolley jack and a 12ft beam. She's back up out of that hole now, straight and a bit closer to the house:rolleyes:.

Many thanks for the offer all the same.

Day 47

This is not an update. It's merely a post to satisfy the do-gooders and various law enforcement agencies that the boat is indeed still alive. I have received many communique's expressing concern as to its welfare, especially considering Aldi's special offer coming up tomorrow.

I can assure you all the boat is fine. Absolutely fine! Infact the boat is resting. I'd go so far as to say it's experiencing a new found piece. Nah there's no need for any photos ........ you trust me don't you?

Meanwhile somewhere in dnme's brain (mouthed in a very stressed hoarse whisper)........ DIE!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! REDRUM! REDRUM! REDRUM! ....... HI HONEY I'M HOME!!!......DIE!!! DIE!!! DIE!!! RRRRREEEEEDDDDD RRRUUUUMMMMMM!!!

Neeahh...the boats fine:rolleyes:

Oh alright goddamit. But I draw the line at photographing the dam boat holding up the cover of today's Irish Times:D

1. Look at it there:cool: Photo taken 20:00, August 24th 2011. Also note the work I have done on my table. New legs jointed into the table top, braced and preserved. Table is rock solid now. Legs sitting on grp pieces cut from the seat access panel cutouts.
    171972.jpg

2. Straightened up and pulled about 10ft forward.
    171974.jpg

3. Tucked in for the night. MoFo!
    171975.jpg

4. Couldn't let you go without this. Dreaming of the day, even in a rain storm.
    171976.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

looking good mate, just for yer own sake compare these to photo's
    152681.jpg
    171974.jpg

thats some gooooood work my friend!!!

gardoyle27 wrote: »
    looking good mate, just for yer own sake compare these to photo's
    152681.jpg
    171974.jpg

thats some gooooood work my friend!!!

neayesssssss! basically it's taken 4 months to do a bit of sanding. But I appreciate your effort:cool:

......and while we're at it

Now that the nights are drawing in and I find myself twiddling my thumbs more and more, I have decided to throw together a boating top ten (you knew this was coming)....

It's not easy. I challenge you to pun up boating jargon. I was going to extend the terms of reference to include fish but for now I think it best to remain focussed:cool:. So, here's my top ten, but it's always open to new chart entries. Come on, throw one or two into the hat.......you know you want to.

More than a 'keeling' - Boston
    'Keels' Like Heaven - Fiction Factory
    Don't stop me 'bow' - Queen
    Where is the lifering I gave to Nancy Spain - Unknown
    Love me 'fender' - Elvis Presley
    Riders on the Stern - The Doors
    'Transom' Prison Blues - Johnny Cash (well I'd like to see you find a better match)
    My Girl 'Bilge' - Jim Stafford:
    'Starboard' - David Bowie
    'Hull'o - Lionel Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Bilge over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
    Lets Hear it for the Buoy - Deniece Williams
    Keeling me Softly - Roberta Flack

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Bilge over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
    Lets Hear it for the Buoy - Deniece Williams
    Keeling me Softly - Roberta Flack
    :D:D:D

Hoahhh There e is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NewHope

" Plimsoll Line " by The Electric Light Orchestra
    " The Anchor Song " Björk :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

"Banana Republic" - a Boom Town Rats original sung by the talented Lads of Leisire

"Sailing" by Rod Stewart

"Dont forget your epoxy if you want to go to work" by Christy Moore

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No need for puns:

'Sail Away' - David Gray
    'Sailing' - Rod Stewart
    'Rock the Boat' - The Hues Corporation (had to look up the band on that one!)
    'Sloop John B' - The Beach Boys
    'The Voyage ' - Christie Moore
    'Drifting' - Jimi Hendrix
    'Into the Mystic' - Van Morrison

Not sure if Otis Redding's 'Dock of the Bay' counts as it's more about the dock than the ships but worth a bonus point, surely? :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

How about writing a song, a song for the times that are in it ?

" there I was, with nothing to do all day
    I though of fixing a boat, to go out on the bay
    No use complaining about the rain,
    The IMF and the dole, they are all a pain"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NewHope

KEMAS- row row row your boat - //www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB31YummgAI

neyessssss! I'm not so sure! What in gods name have I started?:D

@Sleepy, I think the pun might be the point, as therein lies the humour. :D
    @Fergal, Who and what is that? and what is it singing? Is it a man in drag? :D:D
    @jimmmy and @Newhope, I trust you both have day jobs?:D:D

dnme wrote: »
    @jimmmy and @Newhope, I trust you both have day jobs?
    I do not know about Newhope, but I normally do work, I'm just on a few days holidays at the moment.

I've got a theme song for the upcoming tv documentary / book / whatever. For some reason Christry Moores "Ordinary Man" springs to mind.
    I'm an ordinary man, nothing special nothing grand
    I've had to refurbish the boat that I own
    I never asked for a lot, I was happy with what I got
    Enough to keep my car and my home

Now they say that times are hard and the wind has dealt my cards
    They say there's not enough luck to go around
    And when the wind did blow, the boat over did go
    Tonight i'm going to cut this vessel down
    And I'll tear it d-o-w-n

I never missed a day nor went on strike for better pay
    For twenty weeks best I could
    Now with a coffee and a mouse, it seems so easy to forget
    Loyalty through the bad times and through good

And so condemned I stand just an ordinary man
    Like thousands beside me in the queue
    I watch my darling dog, trying to make the best of life
    And God knows what Aldi is going to do
    No more epoxy from outside the state
    I will have no boat for a mate
    And as long as I live, I never will forgive
    The wind that stripped me of my dignity and pride, it stripped mebare
    it stripped me bare, it stripped me bare

Keep up the good work, the boat will be worth it when its finished. Leave that chainsaw you were talking about with your neighbours.

jimmmy wrote: »
    [ /QUOTE]

I've got a theme song for the upcoming tv documentary / book / whatever. For some reason Christry Moores "Ordinary Man" springs to mind.
    I'm an ordinary man, nothing special nothing grand
    I've had to refurbish the boat that I own
    I never asked for a lot, I was happy with what I got
    Enough to keep my car and my home

Now they say that times are hard and the wind has dealt my cards
    They say there's not enough luck to go around
    And when the wind did blow, the boat over did go
    Tonight i'm going to cut this vessel down
    And I'll tear it d-o-w-n

I never missed a day nor went on strike for better pay
    For twenty weeks best I could
    Now with a coffee and a mouse, it seems so easy to forget
    Loyalty through the bad times and through good

And so condemned I stand just an ordinary man
    Like thousands beside me in the queue
    I watch my darling dog, trying to make the best of life
    And God knows what Aldi is going to do
    No more epoxy from outside the state
    I will have no boat for a mate
    And as long as I live, I never will forgive
    The wind that stripped me of my dignity and pride, it stripped mebare
    it stripped me bare, it stripped me bare

Keep up the good work, the boat will be worth it when its finished. Leave that chainsaw you were talking about with your neighbours.

:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

ValerieR wrote: »
    LOL - it does sound very much like ours. He's a black lab-collie X and his name is Casper (a real ghost !!! :p)

p1090863-mod_400x300_9cee10cd6993fe8af3ae997e4c6cf660.jpg

I hope the day is as nice and sunny up there as it is promised here.

ValerieR

I think it is very cruel to be forcing this dog to carry the top of an outboard motor round the place. I don't care what "special harness" you had made to help him carry it! The cruelty to animals people should hear of this.
    :)

This thread has gone to the dogs.:D Aaaaaannnnyway, I am working away on the money boat ands will post an update in a few days time. Hope to combine a few images and video.

Again rain halts play.
    Absolute bitch of a night out. Only one thing for it....
    172351.jpg

Day 48

Summer is gone; It’s a thing of the past, a distant grey damp memory. I am acutely aware of this as I struggle to get out to the boat every day. It is a constant battle against heavy showers, high winds and rapidly diminishing daylight. It’s getting to the stage now where there is almost no window of opportunity to do any significant work after tea. I am desperately dependant on September giving me some ray of hope. I need a few dry days, not to mention warmer temperatures.

I’m working on the seating inside the cabin. I had always envisaged this being a simple job. Cut out access panels, then add new batons that doubled up as seat / lid support flanges. Well it turns out it’s a massive, difficult and complex job. I have a knack for doing things the wrong or at least the hard way, and I fear I may have struck again when it comes to these damn seats.

The seating in the cabin has a corrugated finish on the top. I hate it, always did. It’s a nightmare to sand, strip and clean and it looks awful. So I decided to bite the bullet with it. I grinded down the corrugated surface, using the edge of “the bitch” to get into the grooves and the belt sander to remove some of the high spots. That left me with a weakened version of what was already there, stripped of all paint and gelcoat. I then mixed up a few batches of clotted cream and proceeded to fill out the old corrugation. Some of you may think this is a waste of epoxy and you may well be right but I can’t think of another way to preserve these seats and get them flat. I have also spent some time repairing old damage in the seating structure, using small pieces of woven roving glassed in on the inside and filling with clotted cream on the outside.

Now to deal with the seat access panels. Firstly it occurs to me that I may have cut them too big but that’s another story. After cutting out the panels, I was left with old baton profiles underneath that needed to be gouged out carefully thus not damaging the seat. This proved to be one of the most dangerous jobs I have ever done. I cut out all the old stuff using the bitch, in many cases single handed and often blind, kinda hoping for the best. It would often bite into baton timber making it kick violently. I’m way too blaze with that thing. Anyway, old batons are out.

Onward to make new batons. The plan is to cut out plywood surround batons in single pieces. These will support the old seat and provide me a 20mm lip which will support new seat lids. The plywood is measured to butt up to other existing batons under the seating. Once cut, I rounded over the inner edge with a router as this is where arms and limbs will be when in use. I then cut out some pieces of woven roving tape, wetted out all mating surfaces and glassed the tape to the baton using a staple gun to hold it on the underside and the outer edge. Then it was a matter of turning the ply assembly over, adding thin ply shims to act as standoffs and lining the surface with a bed of heavy thick clotted cream packed with glass strands. This is then offered up in under the seat access panel and held in place with pinch clamps.

I have to tell you, all the above jobs are really tricky. I am covered in epoxy as is most of my gear. I have spent hours struggling to get in underneath those seats in seriously restricted access, trying to wetout glass cloth and trying to get it to stick upwards. It’s awful work, usually in rain and cold. It’s so cold that any epoxy I am using is not cured fully next day, still tacky and soft to the sander.
    So as you can see, I am doing these seats the hard way. In my head, when I visualised this before cutting the panels out, it all seemed so simple. Turns out, it’s very tricky and using a lot of valuable epoxy. Am I crazy, am I doing this all wrong, tell me if you think so, or if there is a more obvious or better way to do this.

1. Video sets the scene

2. Grinding and sanding the old corrugated grp.
    Image3.jpg

3. After cutting out the access panels, I needed to gouge out the old batons with the grinder. Dangerous stuff!!! I’m lucky to have both hands tonight, I swear to god.
    Image2.jpg

4. Repairing all the small damage areas in the seating. Then starting to fill the old corrugated profile with clotted cream.
    Image4.jpg

5. After curing overnight, the old corrugated profile is filled and more or less flattened. I have also fillited the edge of the seat grp to add strength and stability.
    Img_7589.jpg

6. Making plywood surround batons. These will sit underneath the seat protruding inwards creating a lip to support seat lids. The lids will be varnish finished 3mm ply with a layer of glass underneath.
    Image1.jpg

7. Glassing in the plywood baton. I glass and staple 2 pieces of woven roving tape all round the underside. Then flip over, staple on standoff shims, add a bed of clotted cream. And then the fun starts. Getting down in under that seat, in the tightest spaces, hardly any access, trying to get cloth to stay up, epoxy everywhere, on everything. Cold, wet, miserable.
    Image5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

Day 48

6. Making plywood surround batons. These will sit underneath the seat protruding inwards creating a lip to support seat lids. The lids will be varnish finished 3mm ply with a layer of glass underneath.
    Image1.jpg

Glad to see you back hard at it!

Looks good, what would you think of fixing (glue/screw) some more battens underneath the plywood batten you have already added and using the centre off cut of the 12mm plywood as part of the lid construction. i.e. glue the centre off cut of 12mm ply to the 3mm lid. It might strengthen everything up a bit. I'd say if you just lipped the four corners of the existing plywood batten with some 2 by 1 or whatever you have to hand, then the centre off cut of plywood would sit down nicely onto them, it might be necessary to support it in the middle also.

• Advertisement

Jack_regan wrote: »
    Glad to see you back hard at it!

Looks good, what would you think of fixing (glue/screw) some more battens underneath the plywood batten you have already added and using the centre off cut of the 12mm plywood as part of the lid construction. i.e. glue the centre off cut of 12mm ply to the 3mm lid. It might strengthen everything up a bit. I'd say if you just lipped the four corners of the existing plywood batten with some 2 by 1 or whatever you have to hand, then the centre off cut of plywood would sit down nicely onto them, it might be necessary to support it in the middle also.

Good points Jack, thanks for the reply btw, tonight's post took ages (like nearly 3 hours).

I think the lid will be pretty strong, it'll be 3mm ply with a layer of woven roving epoxied to the underside. It will be like a piece of heavy plastic, almost no bend in it at all, you would not believe the strength of epoxy/glass. If it sits too low into my recess, I'll just laminate another piece of 3mm ply to it. Bear in mind, all this will be covered by cushions when it comes to people sitting/sleeping etc.

Now about the extra batons / corner supports underneath. You may well be right here. Tomorrow (when it's cured up) I'll know how it looks feels with regard to weight. I had to leave it this evening as I was destroyed in epoxy and was soaked, miserable.

So, this seat assembly is the first one, a trial run. I'll learn from it and apply the lessons to the rest. But jesus what a bitch of a job. Way to complicated and epoxy thirsty I reckon. I've probably done this all wrong and am annoying the experts / purists. I'm a total novice. That's one of the main reasons for this thread...............help and advice.

Glad you're reading, nice to hear from you.

Advertisement