Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

GuardCam

• 23-03-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on this product?
    http://www.espuk.com/guardcam1.htm

I saw it advertised in Kellihers, €127. I was thinking of it for my parents house - retired. I'm looking for something very straightforward to operate, decent quality. The video is 10fps at 480x640.

My initial concern was that all the controls are quite accessible, incl. the SD card housing(with a bit of effort). It would be for a bungalow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Cole

Anyone? I'm sure that it's not the best product out there, but it's for basic enough use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 daveoc16

Hi. Ya i got one for farmyard. Basic enough unit, works perfectly. Very handy for me as i already had a light in that position with power cables so easy enough install. Picture pretty good at night, in colour as well. Picture quality ok. I've used other cameras and recording equipment before and this is as good if not better.
    I wouldn't be too worried about intruders getting access to sd card. Chances are they will just think it's a sensor light anyway and not a camera. SD card is secured in place behind a panel which is locked by an allen key.
    The instructions say that installation height for optimum coverage is 2m, personally i think you'd be mad to have it as low as 2m for various reasons. I've mine about 3.5m, you do loose a image directly below the camera but get the surrounding area perfect.
    Beware - SD card video download on PC with XP, does not work with Vista or Windows7!
    Also, ignore some of the negative reviews on the net regarding this camera (not recording etc). Works perfect if you follow the instructions e.g. removing SD card correctly.
    Bought mine in Kellihers Cork. I'm planning to get another for gable end of my parents house.
    Overall very good product, excellent instructions, easy to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Cole

That's great Dave, thanks for that....and I see that that Kellihers (Sandyford) are selling them for €115 now.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

daveoc16 wrote: »
    Hi. Ya i got one for farmyard. Basic enough unit, works perfectly. Very handy for me as i already had a light in that position with power cables so easy enough install. Picture pretty good at night, in colour as well. Picture quality ok. I've used other cameras and recording equipment before and this is as good if not better.
    I wouldn't be too worried about intruders getting access to sd card. Chances are they will just think it's a sensor light anyway and not a camera. SD card is secured in place behind a panel which is locked by an allen key.
    The instructions say that installation height for optimum coverage is 2m, personally i think you'd be mad to have it as low as 2m for various reasons. I've mine about 3.5m, you do loose a image directly below the camera but get the surrounding area perfect.
    Beware - SD card video download on PC with XP, does not work with Vista or Windows7!
    Also, ignore some of the negative reviews on the net regarding this camera (not recording etc). Works perfect if you follow the instructions e.g. removing SD card correctly.
    Bought mine in Kellihers Cork. I'm planning to get another for gable end of my parents house.
    Overall very good product, excellent instructions, easy to install.

So does this camers take pics and video footage in the daytinme when you walk past it,to put put the clothes washing or walk down the side of the house??

or can it be de-activated in the daytime??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

paddy147 wrote: »
    So does this camers take pics and video footage in the daytinme when you walk past it,to put put the clothes washing or walk down the side of the house??

or can it be de-activated in the daytime??

From the link above:

6. PIR motion detector with integral photocell
    GuardCam detects the presence of intruders with proven PIR (passive infra
    red) technology at a distance of up to 12 metres from the unit. A photocell is
    employed to ensure activation is restricted to day or night operation at the
    users discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Moac

Looks like a good product. Can I silence the audible warning completely?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Red Cloud

Hi all,

Is it possible to make out car reg plates inside area of coverage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭kirving

Best way to test that would be to take picture of a car reg at the same distance as the camera would be to a car, and scale it down to 640x480 on MS Paint. Lenses aside, that resolution is about 7 times less than FullHD - what all high-end smartphones capture at. A phone would even capture at 30FPS, while that is only 10FPS. It other words, it's crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

Best way to test that would be to take picture of a car reg at the same distance as the camera would be to a car, and scale it down to 640x480 on MS Paint. Lenses aside, that resolution is about 7 times less than FullHD - what all high-end smartphones capture at. A phone would even capture at 30FPS, while that is only 10FPS. It other words, it's crap.

I agree with you, but what can a fella expect for that price.

• Advertisement

Red Cloud wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is it possible to make out car reg plates inside area of coverage?

If you manage to get car reg from a guard cam it will be just pure luck.
    Registration capture is a specialized procedure & even the best of cameras won't always manage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

You'd be better off getting a system with a separate DVR as it will be easier to recover footage

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sea.Wave

Hi Everyone,
    I dont really bother posting much as I dont have much time ,however I read the corrispondence about guard cam and I felt I Must respond to tell everyone my expierence...
    I live in South co Dublin, last May . I was Burgled and my wifes car was taken . I Since purchased a Gaurd Cam from Euro Sales in Ringsend Dublin and it was 94.00 plus vat . I installed it under my bedroom window overlooking my driveway. This was easy because I removed a wall socket from my bedroom outer wall drilled a hole and ran the cable out and connected to the internal socket

Incredably On the 12th of September at 8 am we had another Break in, my wife was on the school Run , they took quite a sizeable quantity of goods ; I had the camera on Silent but recording ...I got the most amazing footage of the three Theives entering my house and then leaving with my belongings . the footage was passed to the insurers and there is no contention Also The Gardai have identified the persons involved and are prosectuting the perpetrators.
    As I say I dont go on and post stuff to the internet but if the story above helps anyone else out well at least I have done something good .I have just purchased a second unit to put at the side of my house ,I cannot recommend this system enough (both gardai and Insurers were very impressed.)
    SEA wave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

where can i buy a guard cam in dublin ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭altor

teileann wrote: »
    where can i buy a guard cam in dublin ireland

Ring a few of the suppliers here. I know R.E.W have them in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

Thanks very much.

teileann wrote: »
    Thanks very much.

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Moac

What happens when SD card is full? Does it begin to overwrite the oldest file?

Moac wrote: »
    What happens when SD card is full? Does it begin to overwrite the oldest file?

That is correct. It records the footage and writes over the older footage.

Advertisement