Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(another) Bike stolen (thread) in case you see it

Options
  • 23-03-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Another thread on a sad topic. Some **** cut the lock on herself's bike outside Argos the other day and made off with it.

In case you see it. It's this one but I added a pannier rack and a clip-on handlebar basket.
    1ac0b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I'll keep an eye out...

Surprised people still rob bikes to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah it's not like it's a fancy bike or anything, that's why I think it was just robbed for transport and not to be sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Will also keep an eye out... Any CCTV in the area?
    Hopefully a positive outcome..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Will keep an eye out, what a pain to have happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

@Mod; Please merge with other Stolen Bike Threads :D

Seriously though what sort of lock was on it. The one around the saddle looks okay. I use a lock just like it. I' loved the old horse shoe locks but cannot mount it anywhere on my frame.
    Did they leave the cut lock behind?

The BASKET should be fairly distinctive and I never saw a ladies bike with a frame like that; 2 LOW BARS JOINING FRONT TO BACK. Very Distinctive. Will keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

keep an eye out for it around the city centre bike racks/parks, that's where my GF's bike turned up, outside the Bridge Mills. As you say, someone may well have stolen it for their own use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

sgthighway wrote: »
    @Mod; Please merge with other Stolen Bike Threads :D.

:D nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I had a bike stolen two years ago, just the other day i saw a guy passing on it. It was a rare colour as i had added some work to it myself so am definate as to what i saw him cycling.

I dont think ive a photo of it but i suppose if i stopped him i still wouldnt have any comeback on it. He probably bought it off someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

sgthighway wrote: »
    @Mod; Please merge with other Stolen Bike Threads :D

Seriously though what sort of lock was on it. The one around the saddle looks okay. I use a lock just like it.

That lock would take 2 minutes max to break if you had any sort of cutting implement it would be done under a minute. The amount of people around town that have spent easily over 400e for a bike then buy a lock for less than 20e is astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

That lock would take 2 minutes max to break if you had any sort of cutting implement it would be done under a minute. The amount of people around town that have spent easily over 400e for a bike then buy a lock for less than 20e is astounding.

Yeah i've noticed that especially around NUIG, used to be good with using multiple locks in Dublin because of the rampant thievery but got out of the habit here and for a long while was locking just using a 10 euro cable lock, the fact that when I lost my key it took me literally 2 strikes with a hammer to bust it open wised me up again,even a beat up bike like mine worth taking by an opportunistic thief if its that quick.

As an aside I don't know if it happens much in galway but people with more expensive bikes should be aware of how U locks can be bust open.

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=327

• Advertisement
Advertisement