Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History research project...genocide/famine type topic?

• 23-03-2011 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

i'm doing research on different genocides/famines but which one (at any time in history before 1993) would have the most information available (sources-books, papers, internet etc) i was thinking about the irish famine but i think my sources might be limited...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Graca wrote: »
    i'm doing research on different genocides/famines but which one (at any time in history before 1993) would have the most information available (sources-books, papers, internet etc) i was thinking about the irish famine but i think my sources might be limited...

Some of the most notable genocides in recent memory: Hitler's Final Solution & Holocaust, The Turks murdering of the Armenians in 1915, the killing of 30,000 Polish PoWs and Police at Kadice by Russian forces, and Mohammad Farrah Adid's 'Civil War' which was really genocide in theory, 300000 dead at my last read - although that was on and prior to 1993 so you might be caught. Unfortunatly one of the words synonymous with 'genocide', the Rwandan Genocide occurred in 1994, out of your years I see.

Go with the Famine if you wish. There is plenty in the sources on it. On the historiography (the writing of history), it's been expansive since the 1860s on with various arguments arising. You'll find no shortage of material, the Famine's history has received much attention over the last several decades with the anniversaries, increased interest, acceptance of events, and opening of archives.

Just a quick thought. Why not combine the Irish Famine with genocide? Post-famine there were numerous writings produced that levied the blame of the famine on the English and from this grew much antagonism and influenced the development of nationalism that would trickle down to 1916 and after. You could argue for/against the English being blamed or discuss the writings on the subject, you'd have a fight though as most narrative historians do not blame anyone. That'd be a cracking project in my book. Sorry for the long winding post, just trying to jot ya some ideas. :)

Advertisement