Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck Eggs

Options
  • 23-03-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

How do they taste compared to normal hen eggs?

Can you boil them also?

The local shop had a few in today so think I might try some.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

LFC5Times wrote: »
    How do they taste compared to normal hen eggs?
    Can you boil them also?

The local shop had a few in today so think I might try some.

Thanks

They taste slightly different, but not drastically so. Has a larger yoke and a slightly stronger and more gamey taste.

Boil, fry, poach, scramble. Boiling is how I've I eaten them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

They're best boiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

They're good fried, too - and they're not that much different from hens' eggs, just the yolk is a lot bigger and richer. If you like your fried eggs flipped over, they hold together a lot better than hens' eggs, which always seem to break when I try to flip them.

I love duck eggs almost as much as I love goose eggs - which are to duck eggs what duck eggs are to hens' eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They make lovely rich scrambled eggs as the yolk is bigger in relation to the size of the white than in hens eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

Absolutely adore duck eggs. fried, scrambled poached...any way. they are also great to bake with. makes for richer cakes! and what could be wrong with that?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A duck egg omelette is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

quack,quack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

They're fabulous for baking too. Gives a fluffier texture to cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

A duck egg omelette is lovely!
    ditto, can't beat a nice duck egg omelette, they just seem to be richer but lighter than hens egg omelettes for some (i'm sure, fancy scientific) reason but they're highly recommended anyway if you can get some.

ham, mushrooms, some nice small chunks (not grated) of cheese on top so you get little gooey blobs of it and whatever else you like to put in an omelette.

hmmmm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Wow, I've never tried duck eggs and didn't know they were good for cakes. I should try it someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭barbie_j

where can I buy duck eggs?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

barbie_j wrote: »
    I've not seen them in the shops (not that I've particularly looked for them), but you regularly see 'duck eggs for sale' signs on the roadside, so that's where I've usually bought mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

barbie_j wrote: »
    Tesco were doing free range duck eggs in their finest range, I got them a few times and they were surprisingly cheap, on a par with branded chicken eggs.

They are not showing online though so not sure if they still have them, or if they are seasonal or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Local farmer called in only an hour ago wanting to know would I like some duck eggs. Tried a couple boiled some years ago and found they had a strong taste in comparison with hens' eggs but he says they might have been a few days old as ducks could lay anywhere, whereas hens usually lay in same place. Declined and thanked him.

Having read above threads I'm sorry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Sponge cakes made with duck eggs are apparently fab :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I buy my duck eggs from either Supervalu in Westport, or Country Fresh in Westport, or the Farmer's Market in Louisburgh on a Friday - they all come from the same place just down the road anyway. What I really want to find is a lacal and reliable source of goose eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

So did the OP try the duck eggs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Delicious, imo, I get ferocious heart burn from them, though, personally.

Basically if you're a big egg fan you'll be a bigger duck egg fan.

they make lovely scrambled egg too. very creamy.

Advertisement