Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal sized paperbacks/ larger sized paperbacks/hardbacks editions?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

What do you think of those larger sized paperbacks for new releases ...

I think I would rather pay a few euro extra for a hardback or wait for normal sized edition a few months later, and not just because of the price difference. Don't like them at all for some reason

Would you normally pay a extra for a hardback or wait for the mass paperback version to appear?

Does the format of the the book matter to you at all? or even the edition with different covers etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

I prefer the normal sized paperback version. I like to read in bed and I've lost count of the amount of times I've smacked myself on the face with a heavy hardback or large paperback when I was falling asleep. The smaller the book the better :pac:

Edit: I also have tiny hands and find the bigger books really difficult to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

Nail on the head, I think thats why i fear them now! ,have had a few of those larger books slip and fall on me as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I like smaller paperbacks just because they fit in my handbag and are lighter to carry around as I like to read in cafes/pubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

I much prefer the smaller editions, they're easier to hold as Bizzylizie said.

They're also much cheaper! I always wait for the small version. Although waiting can be a bitch. I've wanted to read Occasions of Sin by Diarmaid Ferriter for ages but the hardback is just too expensive. The paperback is coming out next year! :mad: I should probably just get it out of the library :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

I hate the large paperbacks, really awkward to carry round in a bag, and they just feel childish for some reason!
    Although if there is a book I really want I generally get too imaptient to wait and just buy the oversize version:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't stand hardbacks. I'll always, always wait for the paperback to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I despise hardbacks. Its really a way of the publisher humiliating you. They are marginally more expensive to produce but you get charged much much more than you would for a paperback. Its a complete scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I much prefer the small paperback format. I love the "Poche" format that they have in France...they a perfect size, and much cheaper than the "flashier" formats.

An example of a difference in price: I bought the French translation of The Secret Scripture as a Christmas present. Only format available at the time was large paperback. Price was 21 euro! Bought it again (in French) as a present for someone two weeks ago, it is now available in small paperback. Price: 6 euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I normally wait, if I can, for the smaller paperback editions. I really begrudge paying the price for those hardbacks. Also all of my bags are bought specifically to be big enough to carry books, so obviously I prefer the smaller paperbacks to carry around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement