Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Obama for Kilkenny?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Just read on the KP that their are efforts to get President Obama to visit the Marble City. Apparently a relative of the President is buried in St Canice's Cathedral. Though I feel it is a long shot it would be quite a coup and great exposure for the City.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Can't disagree with the sentiment but it seems lots of places are laying a claim. I'll think I'll avoid the hysteria if he does come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

holyhead wrote: »
    Apparently a relative of the President is buried in St Canice's Cathedral. Though I feel it is a long shot it would be quite a coup and great exposure for the City.

Bishop John Kearny is the relative in question. The interesting thing here is that his family line died out when his infant son died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

He could swing by James Hoban's gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Where's that Fabby?

I dunno. I saw signs for it at Ballymack cross on the Callan road I think, though in retrospect they could have been for anything Hoban related, not necessarily his gaff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

catbear wrote: »
    Can't disagree with the sentiment but it seems lots of places are laying a claim. I'll think I'll avoid the hysteria if he does come.

Any truth in the rumour that those in the Barrack St area are saying he's one of their own? :P

Oh the irony of it, a decade ago everyone around me was giving out about the US being a bully and now we're economically fcuked suddenly it's great to get the pres over for a visit. They're still in the same places they invaded a decade ago and missile service has been resumed in the med. At least they are consistent.

I might get into this yet, if only to remind some people what they were sprouting a decade ago. Ireland now seems less sensitive about what they marched for then when petrol price has doubled since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

No interest in it at all, It doesn't affect me at all so why would I purposely go just to stand and look at someone?? Daytime stalking...and a lazy version at that!

or to summerize, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Not coming now,I reckon the KK put him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Not coming now,I reckon the KK put him off.

He is still coming to Ireland, he just can't visit Northern Ireland as he would be expected to visit London first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

jprboy wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumour that those in the Barrack St area are saying he's one of their own? :P
    Yeah there is one. His legs were blown off in the war:pac:

What a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

fabbydabby wrote: »
    What a hero.
    I actually lol'd there:D

Advertisement