Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermitten light mystery.

Options
  • 23-03-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any suggestions. The main light in one of my bedrooms goes off itself at various intervals. I have checked the switch and all seems ok. I have replaced the energy saving bulb with a standard bulb without effect.

The problem does not seem heat related as it could be on for ages then goes out or it might not come all at all. It also appears not to be a fault of movement as I cannot get a short by moving the flex cable about??

I am stumped :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Could it be the switch itself? Also any neutral loose connection on the circuit could theoretically cause this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If its only that light affected, then its probalby a loose connection at the ceiling rose itself, or the switch wire of the switch that controls that light, if that light happens to be the the last on the circuit then it could be the switch feed at its switch, or possibly the loop feed at the switch previous to the affected one on the circuit.

It could be the a connection problem on the neutral or live up at the ceiling rose, or the flex to the bulb holder. If its the flex you would expect it to show when you move it around though, which you have done. It wont be a short as this would trip the entire light circuit at the MCB board.

The first place to look is the ceiling rose if you already checked the switch. Are you certain no other lights are affected? Only the ones in use on that circuit would be noticed if the problem was affecting other lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

in a womans house recently fixing something and the kitchen light kept going on and off intermittantly, changed the pendant from a bakolite one to one with a metal insert and it solved the problem. pendants are only a couple of euro so worth changing it out just to eliminate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Few suggestions to try. Thanks. Will report back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Replaced the pendant but no joy. Replaced the switch with an old white plastic one I had removed years ago and it solved the problem. I was sure that it was not the switch due to the nature of how the light was behaving. The light never flickered. Anyway it was one of the brass look switches so rather than buy a new one I took the switch apart (no sign of arcing) and bent a few little brass contacts to make a better contact and away she went :)

Little mystery solved :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement