Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binoculars For Stalking Deer - Where & What Brand ?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Lads, I'll be looking for a pair of binoculars in the not too distant future for stalking next season.
    Can ye recommend any shops in Ireland, web sites (Worldwide)etc ?
    What brands would ye go for or avoid ?
    What magnification do ye think I should be looking for ?

Thanks a millions lads :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Whats your budget ?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

I use Swarovski 8/32 els, great set of binoculars, very light, all my stalking is hill and they are more than enough mag.

One thing i like is the after sales service of swarovski, i have sent the binoculars back twice, once for service and for a scratch and wasnt charged in both instances.

All my riflescopes are swarovski as well. all the lads i stalk with use swarovski binoculars.

They are expensive but you are investing in a pair of binoculars that will last you a lifetime if you look after them.

Below is a link to a shop in scotland, great service and a lot of demo and 2nd hand stock.

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/CUSTOMER%20S_H%20STOCK%20LIST.pdf

dr6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I saw the thread title and thought this was a completely different topic.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

baraca wrote: »
    I saw the thread title and thought this was a completely different topic.

Carry on.
    :D LOL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bought 2 sets in the last couple of years.

Hawke 10x42 Endurance. Cheap, cheerful and surprisingly good quality. A little of a let down in really low light, but for €110 wasn't ecpecting miracles.

Steiner 10x50 Nighthunter. Excellent bins. €600, but worth every penny. Robust, light enough to carry, and excellent in every light condition. Not to mention waterproof, anti fog, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

zeissman wrote: »
    Whats your budget ?

A couple of 100 to be honest as this will be my 1st year stalking deer and also a very expensive one. Hcap fees, lease fees, CAI fees, deer manual fees, new rifle, new license fees you name it, I have to pay for it this year :rolleyes:

You can get nikon monarch 8x42 for around 280 dollars in the USA and they are a great binocular for the money.
    The top european brands like zeiss, leica, etc are great but very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Don't over look Kahles and Minox

Great clarity Bino's and always be on the look out for second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

8x42 covers just about all that is needed in Ireland. One should compare the field of view before buying as a wide field of view is a bonus. Weight is the next issue. 8x42's range from around 500 grams to 1000 grams.
    Kaps Germany have some lovely binos, light, good field of view and great glass. Cost around 400,- euro for the 8x42.
    edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Vix,
    Have you tried binoculars and liked them?

For some reason, I hate using binoculars. I cannot say why, but whenever I use them, I close one eye.

This has led me to use a monocular in the form of a rangefinder. I use the Leica 1600 or 1200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA wrote: »
    Vix,

For some reason, I hate using binoculars. I cannot say why, but whenever I use them, I close one eye.

This has led me to use a monocular in the form of a rangefinder. I use the Leica 1600 or 1200.

I never use Bino's stalking :eek:

My Nikon range finder (which is twice as bulky as yours) is 8x and good enough as a monocular

Handy if Deer are in a field that is hard to judge distance for shot placement.
    I used them Kaps of Edi, Quite good for the money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

For a coupe of hundred euro you'd find it hard to beat the Steiner
    8x30 Safari Pro.
    They have fixed focus, so no need to constantly focus and are very clear, light and small.
    As an animal spotter - I can say that I have many bino's of all prices - and these are the best value for money in my opinion.

http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/binoculars/safaripro/8x30safaripro444.html

FISMA wrote: »
    Vix,

I never thought of that, I have a Bushnell Elite 1500 rangefinder which gives 7X magnification - do you reckon this may be ok for the job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 6.5x55

Minox 8x 42 Binoculars@ €199 from Neil @Cresent Sports,Monkstown,
    Dublin. They are great value, good quality glass ,decent fella as well.
    Can't go wrong at that price .

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

6.5x55 wrote: »
    Minox 8x 42 Binoculars@ €199 from Neil @Cresent Sports,Monkstown,
    Dublin. They are great value, good quality glass ,decent fella as well.
    Can't go wrong at that price .

+1. These bins represent excellent value..End of Line, they were e499 a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If you get the opportunity to look through some Opticron binoculars, do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Bushnell legend 8x40 got very good value off e bay at €100. I find them very good for the deer stalking I do

Lads, thanks for all the replys, theres plenty of makes models and powers in there that I can work from.
    Much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Second hand Swaroski's in the for sale section, not crazy money :rolleyes:

vixdname wrote: »
    I never thought of that, I have a Bushnell Elite 1500 rangefinder which gives 7X magnification - do you reckon this may be ok for the job ?

I think binoculars are very important and would never go stalking without them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement