Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords to Blackrock commute

Options
  • 23-03-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,
    Anybody doing this commute daily at the moment? How do you do it - drive/dart/bus/combo? How long does it take? Just wondering if it is bearable long term.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dart from Malahide is probably your best bet, bus wise it would be a horror.

I'm offsite with work next week in Sandyford and am carless at the moment, am dreading the bus - walk - luas combination for the week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Used to do Balbriggan-Blackrock, not the worst commute out there. Took about an hour on the train so I'd say driving to Malahide and getting the Dart down might be your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Thanks.

Is anybody making this trip by car at the moment? What are journey times like and what's the best route?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It would almost certainly be a total nightmare of a commute by car. Port tunnel would make it bearable but very expensive.

Train time is 42 minutes. Even with a cycle to Malahide (to avoid parking the car) you'd be under an hour which is maintainable. The train is mostly fairly pleasant (though I can't speak for the dart) I'm sure it'd be grand after the city centre on the way there and you'd likely have a seat all the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Khannie wrote: »
    It would almost certainly be a total nightmare of a commute by car. Port tunnel would make it bearable but very expensive.

Train time is 42 minutes. Even with a cycle to Malahide (to avoid parking the car) you'd be under an hour which is maintainable. The train is mostly fairly pleasant (though I can't speak for the dart) I'm sure it'd be grand after the city centre on the way there and you'd likely have a seat all the way home.

I'm not so sure it would be a total nightmare. I drive from the Balbriggan area to M50 exit 10 every morning in about 35-45 minutes. I'm on the M1 at roughly 7.30am. I only encounter traffic on the M50 if there's an incident. The M1 has improved a lot since they opened up the extra lane and does not grind to a halt like it used to. Granted it does slow down a bit from the Donabate exit but not to the extremes it used to. I can't speak for the M50 after exit 10.

Maybe give it a try and see but I wouldn't rule it out as an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

There's almost no parking in blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

My oul'fella used to do this, 40 minutes on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

My oul'fella used to do this, 40 minutes on a bike.

Which route did he take?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Malahide road, fairview, annesley bridge, east wall, east link and coastal route to blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Malahide road, fairview, annesley bridge, east wall, east link and coastal route to blackrock

40 minutes? :eek: You talking motorbike here?

You could bus it to Malahide (102), then take the DART.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

40mins is about bang on by car do I would go through Drumcondra and swing a left into Clonliffe rd and head down East Wall Rd. Only real hold up is the rail crossing coming on to Merrion Rd. Leaving before 7 is the key.

Advertisement