Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern Seaboard Restaurant

Options
  • 23-03-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have made two bookings at the Eastern Seaboard over the last two months. On both occasions I made a telephone booking a week in advance. The receptionist confirmed the booking for my preferred time. But then each time I received a telephone call two or three days before I was due to eat there to say that they were over-booked and could I either come at 6pm as opposed to 8pm or alternatively would i be happy to sit at the bar at 8pm.

I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? Why would they treat their customers like this? Is it a case that they look after their regulars above everyone else or what other reason could there be. It's a shame as their food and quality of service is excellent.

If you are making a booking for them in the future you should bear this in mind or reconsider going somewhere else to avoid disappointment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Ask them to txt confirmation while ur on the phone to them. If that was me I would never go back. Its first reserved first served. They will have some new competition soon (June), interesting times ahead I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Mylow wrote: »
    Ask them to txt confirmation while ur on the phone to them. If that was me I would never go back. Its first reserved first served. They will have some new competition soon (June), interesting times ahead I think.

agree - who is the new competition Mylow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Just wondering, jpb - what was your answer to the phone call? What would they do if you said that neither of their options suited, and you wanted a table, just like you'd booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Nver heard of this happening. If it happened to me I'd be well upset. I really like ESB but if you book somewhere it's accepted that you will go. People booking a week or 2 ahead is a long time to plan and it would certainly be bad on behalf of ESB to treat customers so if this is the case.

I'd say book again but stress your displeasure at what has happened the last 2 times

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

First of all i'd like to welcome the newbie to this with only 2 posts??????...but as with all busy restaurants if you have ever worked in one will get cancellations at last minute and perhaps were only trying to ensure a full house...
    the monasterboice inn doesnt take bookings on saturday nights going back years i recall....you come give order,n will be brought to dine when table avail....tho a lenghty one i recall in the good times
    from experience in the restaurant waiting....if you have tables booked at 8pm they arrive in at 8.20 and question where their table is....
    people will rock up saying they have a booking....etc etc......imo this place does a great trade n great grub...but in this case 2nd time round been cancelled i would have stoodd my ground and explained this had happened before....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

In response to the last comment, what's with all the ????? Yes it was my 2nd comment. BUt if you go check you can see that my first comment was an actual positive one. I also notice that you joined in Jan 2011, did you not have a 2nd or 3rd etc comment? I dont know what you are trying to imply.

About the rest of your comment - i dont care if the restaurant is busy and needs to ensure its full. I'm a paying customer and if I make an advance booking I expect it to be honoured - busy or not! Are you trying to say that they wanted to ensure they were full so cancelled my booking in preference of someone they knew? That's no way to run a business.

Ohh and what's the Monasterboice got to do with it? I booked ESB.

My original comment was posted to warn people when booking a table in this restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

We're going there tonight, table booked for 8.30.
    I'll let y'all know what happens!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

furiousox wrote: »
    We're going there tonight, table booked for 8.30.
    I'll let y'all know what happens!

Must have worked out so. :pac:

From my own personal experience ESB has always been top notch when it came to making reservations. And id say ive made about 4.
    (1 of my own, 3 have been from someone else in the party)
    Sounds unfortunate, but sounds like you just hit it unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

We got there for 8.20 and our table wasn't ready (well we were early I guess)
    Place was jammers, people eating at the bar so no seats there either.
    Had a couple of drinks and got our table at 9.00.
    Once we sat down everything was fine, food and service were spot on.
    Noticed on the way in that Peony is "closed for renovations" :confused:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

furiousox wrote: »
    We got there for 8.20 and our table wasn't ready (well we were early I guess)
    Place was jammers, people eating at the bar so no seats there either.
    Had a couple of drinks and got our table at 9.00.
    Once we sat down everything was fine, food and service were spot on.
    Noticed on the way in that Peony is "closed for renovations" :confused:

We rang for a take away on Friday and the owner answered and said they were closed for renovations - they are due to reopen on tuesday. Hopefully!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

First of all i'd like to welcome the newbie to this with only 2 posts??????...but as with all busy restaurants if you have ever worked in one will get cancellations at last minute and perhaps were only trying to ensure a full house...
    the monasterboice inn doesnt take bookings on saturday nights going back years i recall....you come give order,n will be brought to dine when table avail....tho a lenghty one i recall in the good times
    from experience in the restaurant waiting....if you have tables booked at 8pm they arrive in at 8.20 and question where their table is....
    people will rock up saying they have a booking....etc etc......imo this place does a great trade n great grub...but in this case 2nd time round been cancelled i would have stoodd my ground and explained this had happened before....

As I've posted before - my first post was in this thread. When you google Drogheda Restaurants - this is the first link that comes up.

Welcome JPB - it's a great thread, and most of the regular posters are quite friendly!!

Borderlinemeath - thanks for the welcome and positive comments. I just started this thread as a warning to others making a bucket. I have been viewing boards.ie for the last year+ and only recently decided to set up an account.

To all the other positive comments about ESB, its not that i disagree, the food and atmosphere in the restaurant are top notch, its just their treatment of customers that lacks something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Borderlinemeath - thanks for the welcome and positive comments. I just started this thread as a warning to others making a bucket. I have been viewing boards.ie for the last year+ and only recently decided to set up an account.

To all the other positive comments about ESB, its not that i disagree, the food and atmosphere in the restaurant are top notch, its just their treatment of customers that lacks something.

You still haven't told us what your response was to their request either time?

The first time I changed my booking to an earlier time. The 2nd time i cancelled altogether.

Had the same problem myself cancelled a booking I had made stating they had overbooked. Didnt bother to book again as was put off by their lack of customer service skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I used to be a big ESB fan. Not so much anymore. Tried booking with them about 3 times, twice they were booked up, this was about 9 days in advance of booking.

I also find that the food is not as amazing as it used to be. There are better restaurants around town, imo. I like Tango and quay 4. service is usually bang on and we never have trouble booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

booked esb for 8.30 and arrived on time but our table was`nt ready a 20 min wait.
    i don`t really mind that much but is it the old ploy that you buy a drink while waiting thus spending more;)

Advertisement