Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neonatal jaundice

Options
  • 23-03-2011 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

My brother's two day old little girl has developed jaundice and is currently in an incubator undergoing light therapy from this afternoon until possibly Friday. She was also dehydrated due to slow milk delivery (breastfed). Naturally my brother and his fiance are very worried about her, as am I and the whole family. However, I get the impression that jaundice is quite common among newborns. Has anyone's baby had the same issue? How long did it that them to recover? Any reassurances are very useful. Wikipedia's good but experience is better!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hiya,

I had jaundice when I was born (apparently I looked like I had a nice tan :)), the hospital weren't at all worried about it, it's very common, it took about a week to right itself, with no side effects.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Both my girls had it,my 2nd had it for 2 weeks.

Neither had treatment for it so it maybe more serious in your case,all you can do is talk to the doctors and nurses and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My little one was the same, they had to cup feed her for 24f hrs because she was dehydrated and then bottlefed when her blood sugar dropped. in the end my milk didnt come in as she was in the incubator for 3 days and didnt have time to learn to latch on. I was heart broken looking at her in her 'horribe box' until i met the women pumping milk for their babies in neo-natal. Puts things in perspective. By day 7 she was completly cured and is a thriving 6 month old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

My twins had it, I was told to breastfeed as much as possible, it increasaes milk production, and to go for walks with them outside so they can get the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My fella got it at 2 days old, he was 5 weeks premature it took 6 weeks for the jaundice to leave him, he was never in the special care baby unit, he was let home on day 2 as he was healthy (7lb 6 oz)

However my brother was born 2 months early and was so badly jaundiced that he had to have a blood transfusion, now he is a fine healthy 35 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

One of my twins was born yellow and stayed that way for about 2 weeks. We were told not to worry and it went away itself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Our little man was a Simpson for a while, thankfully he didn't have to get any treatment. Stressful enough when they're all saying that he'll be kept in the hospital if it doesn't improve and you're doing your best to get the breastfeeding going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Hey Confab, my little girl had it when she was born prematurely but it disappeared after about a week and she was grand.

Here is a good reputable website containing some very good information about it:)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002526/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Thanks all, she's home now and doing fine.

Advertisement