Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unofficial Reintroductions of birds?

• 23-03-2011 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

With the springing up of large numbers of woodpeckers in Ireland in different areas over a short number of years I have been wondering is this a natural happening or have they been unofficially reintroduced by man. Is it really possible that the woodpecker could reappear so quickly in such a short space of time? I was also thinking this in reference to the bittern that has now turned up in Wexford in small numbers after such a long absence. Do people take it into their own hands to reintroduce Irelands missing birds?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the first question which crops up in response to your theory would be who is secretly capturing, transporting, and releasing woodpeckers?

occam's razor is the best guide here, i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I should think that you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. The gradual appearance of the Great Spotted Woodpecker has been just that and has followed the pattern of other previous colonisations like that of the Collared Dove and the Little Egret. Also, it's not as if you can just nip down to your local pet shop and buy Woodpeckers and then release them - they are a protected species in Britain and I can't imagine anybody risking being caught robbing their nests etc.etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

I should think that you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. The gradual appearance of the Great Spotted Woodpecker has been just that and has followed the pattern of other previous colonisations like that of the Collared Dove and the Little Egret. Also, it's not as if you can just nip down to your local pet shop and buy Woodpeckers and then release them - they are a protected species in Britain and I can't imagine anybody risking being caught robbing their nests etc.etc.
    x2
    And where have they come from? The UK
    population has increased by a phenomenal 300%
    in the last 40 years and a similar story is coming
    from parts of continental Europe. The reasons for
    such increases are not entirely clear, but these
    birds may be benefiting from an increase in
    maturing coniferous plantations and better
    overwinter survival as a result of their acquired
    taste for artificially supplied foods such as peanuts
    and suet. Of course, rising temperatures may also
    be a factor. Whatever the reasons, we may simply
    be getting the overspill.
    From this article:
    http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=yN0qpHhymyQ%3d&tabid=966

The reasons the Bittern are in Wexford is because of the extreme winter in Europe this year. They were forced to search out available habitat that wasn't frozen solid.

Granted there are proven attempted introduction of alien bird species into the country:mad:. For example people introducing red-legged partridge, numerous breeds of pheasants and wild turkeys for shooting purposes.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I think I heard some statistic a few weeks ago that said the uk population of GS woodpeckers had increased by something like 200% over the last few years (very inaccurate because I can't remember exactly), but I remember it showed how massive the woodpecker population in UK had grown.
    So the excess have been popping up in Ireland since 2004. And aren't they glad they did come over - all the best houses (mature oak trees) are free and vacant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

It would be nice to hear drumming up around my neck of the woods this spring. Maybe only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

oo I'd love to hear them in Kilkenny where did you say the pet
    shop was that I could buy them! ;):D

Advertisement