Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Eircom blocking websites now?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I can't access several websites that I normally can (imgur.com, adverts.ie, soundcloud.com etc) and some sites have been blocked for an age (donedeal.ie, ehow.com)

I know they're up because I can get them on my phone, and they're down for a friend of mine who's also on eircom.

So anyone know what the story is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

nope i'm with eircom and they work fine for me.

imgur.com, adverts.ie, soundcloud.com

must be your computer

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

I am on eircom and they work fine for me too.
    Try change your DNS

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ultra55ound

Thanks, I'll give that a go later on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved to the Talk to eircom forum, as they would be in the best position to answer why this might be happening to you. Perhaps a routing or DNS issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

jor el wrote: »
    Thread moved to the Talk to eircom forum, as they would be in the best position to answer why this might be happening to you. Perhaps a routing or DNS issue.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your posts and advices on our Forum. I've also just confirmed that I'm able to access these directly - on the eircom network.

As mentioned, it is likely a dns or computer /software related issue. Some of these sites may block pings or traceroute, so you might want to try an nslookup and check that the auth servers are recognising the domains :

H:\>nslookup adverts.ie
    Server: XXXXX.eircom.ie
    Address: X.X.X.X

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: adverts.ie
    Addresses: 208.94.146.80, 208.94.146.81, 20

H:\>nslookup soundcloud.com

Name: soundcloud.com
    Address: 178.249.137.64

H:\>nslookup imgur.com

Name: imgur.com
    Addresses: 173.231.140.219, 173.231.140.218

H:\>

If still unable to get a resolve your domain query, try changing your DNS - as advised earlier.
    Eircom's DNS are as follows :

Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:

I hope the above will be of assistance.

Regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ultra55ound

I was actually using the google DNS servers all along, I switched over to the eircom ones but still no good. nslookup is returning and address but if I try to use that IP address in the browser it still doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I was actually using the google DNS servers all along, I switched over to the eircom ones but still no good. nslookup is returning and address but if I try to use that IP address in the browser it still doesn't work.

Hi ultra55ound,

Suggestion might be to connect to these sites on another computer, or phone, device.

It may be the firewall or Anti-virus prog blocking your computer Internet acceess. Testing with a different device should help eliminate where the problem is. You might also try a different Internet browser.

But, certainly these sites are visible from the eircom network- adverts.ie is used quite abit by eircom customers.

Cheers again
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

I'm having the same issue but with different site...

For example: speedtest.net is unreachable form any of my PC's... I can however ping it successfully...

I've also noticed over the week or so, a similar situation trying to link to site returned by google search... in all case the site are up and running as checked at (websitenotworking) but I can't access them...

It may be unrelated but I found many site I visit (on a regular basis) are taking quite a time to respond...
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I'm having the same issue but with different site...

For example: speedtest.net is unreachable form any of my PC's... I can however ping it successfully...

I've also noticed over the week or so, a similar situation trying to link to site returned by google search... in all case the site are up and running as checked at (websitenotworking) but I can't access them...

It may be unrelated but I found many site I visit (on a regular basis) are taking quite a time to respond...
    Mike
    Same here - thought it was m y connection.
    Tried Speedtest.net app on my android and ios devices and both fail.
    Works fine if i turn off wifi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Flush your dns on your laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Nowso wrote: »
    Flush your dns on your laptop
    Doesn't work. Seems to be a bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Traction

same problem here.
    twitter page often very slow to load or sometimes images wont load on twitter mobile app.

Unable to run speet tests on
        speedof.me
        speedtest.net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Same problems for me tonight,Twitter,facebook,adverts ,speedtest all affected with images not loading or  just not loading at all...All working fine over 3G/4G .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just to add to the chorus, Facebook and Twitter were VERY slow last night and speedtest.net has not worked for two days either through a Mac, PC or through its apps on mobile devices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi there

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have brought this to the attention of Managers in Technical Support. As soon as we receive a response we will update you here,

thanks
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Traction

Problem seems to be gone.
    All ok yesterday and today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Traction wrote: »
    Problem seems to be gone.
    All ok yesterday and today.
    Hi Traction,

Glad to hear this. If it recurs please let me know.

Colm

Same here, problem gone but why did t happen in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Same here, problem gone but why did t happen in the first place?
    Hi michaelotoole

I'm unaware of this and we will be unable to offer technical reasons/details behind such issues although I do apologies for the inconvenience this created.

Thanks
    Al

Appreciate the post Alan, thanks for the reply...

The problem could be anywhere in the chain, it's a big internet... not necessarily an Eircom issue...

Mike

• Advertisement

An edit to my previous post resulted in this post?

Just to add, the last occasion I noticed this, I tested my download speed and it was all over the place.... speeds were about 10/20% of normal and occasionally it would not work at all...
    Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭IDencI

I am not even on the eircom network and I'm not able to access certain sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

An edit to my previous post resulted in this post?

Just to add, the last occasion I noticed this, I tested my download speed and it  was all over the place.... speeds were about 10/20% of normal and  occasionally it would not work at all...
    Mike
    Ok Mike. The best advice I can offer is to report this to our support team on 1890 260 260 (tel number and option 0) 
    They'll be able to troubleshoot with you to identify the issue and hopefully resolve it. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement