Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxer not chewing food

• 23-03-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

i recently took in my sisters boxer from her as she unfortunately had to leave these shores and couldnt bring her with her.
    my problem is,i am feeding her royal canin boxer and she loves it but she swallows them whole id swear,very little chewing going on.anyone who knows said food knows they are large chunks(ergonomically designed to encourage chewing no less:rolleyes:).
    has anyone found a way to combat this other than grinding down the pieces as i dont want her to choke:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i recently took in my sisters boxer from her as she unfortunately had to leave these shores and couldnt bring her with her.
    my problem is,i am feeding her royal canin boxer and she loves it but she swallows them whole id swear,very little chewing going on.anyone who knows said food knows they are large chunks(ergonomically designed to encourage chewing no less:rolleyes:).
    has anyone found a way to combat this other than grinding down the pieces as i dont want her to choke:confused:

How old is she and which Canin you giving her, ours is 17months old and has just moved from the junior to the adult, a big difference in size

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Is she a puppy or an adult? There are bowls you can get that slow them down when eating; i only recently bought two for my guys because they were coughing and choking sometimes, and they really do work wonders. http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Plastic_Slow_Feeding_Plastic_Dog_Bowl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

she will be six in august and food is r.c boxer 26,which i got at my vets on their advice

Shanao wrote: »
    Is she a puppy or an adult? There are bowls you can get that slow them down when eating; i only recently bought two for my guys because they were coughing and choking sometimes, and they really do work wonders. http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Plastic_Slow_Feeding_Plastic_Dog_Bowl.html

one of those bowls are worth a shot,thanks

No worries. Boxers are notorious for hoovering up their food :D Even the 'specially designed' boxer kibble doesn't help.

• Advertisement

i know,i only recently lost my own 11 yr old girl to cancer(this ones grandmother) and she could gulp down her food but this lady takes the buiscuit

Sorry for your loss.
    Amazing dogs boxers, might have a face only a mother could love, but they have brilliant personalities.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I had same problem with my dobie so I now feed him RC great Dane the nuts are much bigger so he has to chew them!! Noticing when cleaning the garden his digestion is also better if u get me!!! He is doing really well on it and when I compared the ingredients there was nothing different between the rc maxi and the Dane so just seems it's a bigger nugget!

Advertisement