Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden centres

Options
  • 24-03-2011 12:04am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent garden centre in south Meath that has knowledgeable staff I could get advice from? I want somewhere with a good stock of trees/shrubs and with experts I can get good advice from rather than a Woodies type place. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

There is one place I would suggest just outside Trim.

Leaving Trim and heading for Dublin on the main Dublin Road, there is a large Petrol station/Londis on the right hand side. About a mile past this on the right is a house with garden centre at the back. Its a kind of reddish orange colour house, and you should be able to spot a sign saying "bedding plants for sale" on the road outside. Drive slow though as it is very easy to miss.

My brother needed advice on a large amount of hedging, and the guy in here was really good and had much better pricing than most places too.

Sorry I dont know the name of it, but if drive slowly up the road you will spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Cottage garden centre on the road between ashbourne and ratoath, helpful staff and good variety of plants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Out the Athboy- Navan road is Rathmore Garden Centre, and despite the roadworks on that road it remains open for business (can be accessed from the Navan side). We find them excellent regarding all the things you mention in your OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

the centre beside fairyhouse cross is great
    plantagen i think
    friendly knowledgeable staff
    little bit pricey,but worth it
    great coffee shop too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks all for the suggestions, will try a few of them and see how I go.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Further out from Archeron's suggestion on the LHS after Jack Quinns pub is a small garden center. The owner is Frank Dalton. he has won some awards for flower/ plant displays. He is very good at giving suggestions & very helpful.

In fact he gives free planting lessons on Saturday mornings at 12-1pm.

pm me if you want his number.

Also Flynns nurseries in Summerhill are very good.

Advertisement