Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bikes will Quinn Direct let you have on a provisional at 20yrs old??

Options
  • 24-03-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm 20 with a provisional license. I currently have a Virago 125 which i've had on the road for about a month now, buts it has no power really and can barely get to 55/60 mph.

Was looking into a sports style bike and enquired about a cbr600 with Quinn Direct, even restricted and they wont quote me, said i have to be 25. Apparently i wont even get quoted on a cbr250 either?

Can anyone help me on what i can get quoted for?? Was thinking a ninja250 or would that be refused too? Maybe its just the reputation of the cbr.

Anyone got experience with Quinn Direct related to this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you tried their web site?

Generally the customer service people only have access to the same, they place you on hold for anything more complicated. If their site won't quote you then they won't quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Look for factory restricted bikes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The Ninja 250 is bang on 33bhp so you should get insurance on it no problem.

But get yourself the pinkie licence and a grade 2 assessment, it'll make things a lot easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Im 21, with a provisional and Im insured on a ninja 250 with quinn, so you should be able to get quoted for one.

I'd go for the the insurance assesment though, its really worthwhile. The only lesson I've gotten so far was 1 full-day (6-7 hour) lesson for €300, and the instructor did the assessment during that and I got a grade 3, which straight away lowered my quote by just over €300 - paying for itself immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

trippjesus wrote: »
    I'm 20 with a provisional license. I currently have a Virago 125 which i've had on the road for about a month now, buts it has no power really and can barely get to 55/60 mph.

Was looking into a sports style bike and enquired about a cbr600 with Quinn Direct, even restricted and they wont quote me, said i have to be 25. Apparently i wont even get quoted on a cbr250 either?

Can anyone help me on what i can get quoted for?? Was thinking a ninja250 or would that be refused too? Maybe its just the reputation of the cbr.

Anyone got experience with Quinn Direct related to this? Thanks.

Hi Tripp

can I ask when you got your learner permit? Was it before or after Dec 6th last year.

Roadskill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Roadskill wrote: »
    Hi Tripp

can I ask when you got your learner permit? Was it before or after Dec 6th last year.

Roadskill

Interesting question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

personally didnt think Quinn gave a fiddlers about factory restriction

Wossack wrote: »
    personally didnt think Quinn gave a fiddlers about factory restriction

I think if you fight the sales guys on it you can eventually get the insurance grouping down on a factory restricted machine. This was before they started to get anal about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'm pretty much in your situation. It seems to me that they won't insure you on anything over 350cc until you're 21. A sports bike 250 or above is also out of the question. Once you turn 21 you can insure anything upto about 850cc. If its a sports bike it'll have to be 400cc or less though.

I'm 21 in three months and waiting to splash out on something.

Edit: Forgot to mention I've a full licence and three years no claims, doesn't make the slightest difference. Its purely down to the age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I'm pretty much in your situation. It seems to me that they won't insure you on anything over 350cc until you're 21. A sports bike 250 or above is also out of the question. Once you turn 21 you can insure anything upto about 850cc. If its a sports bike it'll have to be 400cc or less though.

I'm 21 in three months and waiting to splash out on something.

Edit: Forgot to mention I've a full licence and three years no claims, doesn't make the slightest difference. Its purely down to the age.

Mate is insured with them and he is 23. He can't fee insured on a decent 600 until he is 25 or does some grading test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

seanybiker wrote: »
    Mate is insured with them and he is 23. He can't fee insured on a decent 600 until he is 25 or does some grading test

i am 28 and have quinn insurance on a CBR600 RR that is restricted from the factory and have several statements to prove such, i am new to biking and this is the only bike that fits me i am a big lad so a smaller bike just looks silly.

The procedure with quinn was nothing short of a joke, i eventually got a letter signed by 2 guards, the honda dealership owner and myself to say the bike is restricted, which they accepted after a lot of hassle, i also have a grade 2 (i think) insurance test with them that one of the guards who signed the statement above. overall i have done 4 courses in the last 6 months including IBT and i dred renewing my insurance next year.

The irish insurance companies dont care about young riders... until you reach the age of 30 plus you will have problems getting insurance on any type of bike.

eurofoxy wrote: »
    i am 28 and have quinn insurance on a CBR600 RR that is restricted from the factory and have several statements to prove such, i am new to biking and this is the only bike that fits me i am a big lad so a smaller bike just looks silly.

The procedure with quinn was nothing short of a joke, i eventually got a letter signed by 2 guards, the honda dealership owner and myself to say the bike is restricted, which they accepted after a lot of hassle, i also have a grade 2 (i think) insurance test with them that one of the guards who signed the statement above. overall i have done 4 courses in the last 6 months including IBT and i dred renewing my insurance next year.

The irish insurance companies dont care about young riders... until you reach the age of 30 plus you will have problems getting insurance on any type of bike.

Did you ring Adelaide? I don't know many bikers left who haven't switched over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

As mentioned it's very expensive 'till you turn 21. At 20 with 0 NCB I was paying around €700 on a 50cc, then once I turned 21 and with 1 year NCB was around €350 on a Hornet 250. Now 24 any paying €400ish on an SV650S. Any of the other companies are two or three times the price of Quinn.
    In short, you'll probably have to wait 'till you're 21!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

Did you ring Adelaide? I don't know many bikers left who haven't switched over.

Do ya not have to be 25 to get insured with them? Or is that AON?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

Adelaide just want the >25s unfortunately

Aon recognise factory restriction - still not sure if Quinn do

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Morning Tripp, I have a bit of sympathy for you as I started out on a clapped out 2 stroke 125 that wouldnt go over 40. Put a year up on the small bike (maby keep an eye out for a sensible 250) and see then how you feel about getting a bigger bike. Insurers then will be a bit more willing to talk to you with a bit of experience and ncb in your pocket.
    There is a big temptation dump the smaller bikes too quickly to get onto something bigger. It might seem like a pain now but the skills you will learn on a 125 will stand to you down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah its deffo age that will get you a better quote or quoted at all, I am just about to get a 600cc Fazer (Restricted) on a 1st time provisional.

Rang Carol Nash and asked them for a quote on a 2002 Fazer worth €2500 and no probs €1000 fully comp and €750 TPFT. Never had a license before (have full car) so its deffo age.....can even have 2 BIKES on the policy and drive others with consent (not sure on the cc of the others but you get what I mean)

I would say Quinn would be cheaper. ;)

Thank God I am old....(33yrs)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Wossack wrote: »
    Adelaide just want the >25s unfortunately

Aon recognise factory restriction - still not sure if Quinn do

I'm well over the 25 and rang Adelaide for my 1st insurance - will only quote when you have at least 1 years NCB.

I'm insured with Carole Nash - didn't ask whether the bike was restricted or not (it is). They maintain that if it is a condition of your licence that your bike is restricted then it is up to the rider to comply.

Woe betide you I'm sure if God forbid you did have a mishap and had a non restricted bike when you should have.

Quinn as I understand it will only give discounts for factory restricted bikes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

josh59 wrote: »
    I'm insured with Carole Nash - didn't ask whether the bike was restricted or not (it is). They maintain that if it is a condition of your licence that your bike is restricted then it is up to the rider to comply.

And right they are, it is not up to an insurance company to make sure you're legally compliant on the road. That doesn't mean they won't check in the case of an accident however!

Advertisement