Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need more ports!

Options
  • 24-03-2011 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Networking novice here and I have what I think is a simple problem to solve!

I have a router that receives the internet from my broadband modem. It has 3 gigabit ports of which two are used.

I want to place a PC and a NAS box in the office that is actually a separate building away from the house, and these have to be wired as they dont have Wifi (also dont think the signal is the strongest out there).

So I am going to run a CAT5e cable from the free port on the router out to the office. Question is this - what should I get to plug it into in order to give me more ports?

I think I need a switch....but not sure. I want the boxes to be on the same network as everything else (assigned by DHCP).

Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

yeah get a 4 way hub/ switch. you can get them on e bay for a tenner. just terminate the cat 5 and plug it into the hub in the office and you will then have 3 new ports. A hub is just a junction and all devices will be on the same network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Thanks for the quick reply!

Read up on a hub and it says that they arent great because they repeat the packets to all connected devices. Will this be an issue???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Hub - SWITCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Just a thought but what about PowerLine adapters?
    You could try testing em? If it works just plug a basic switch into the adapter. Job done.

They're up to gigabit speeds now apparently.
    http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=495008

We use em at home to connect the security camera DVR to our LAN as theirs no WiFi reception in the shed.

The DVR is in the garage/shed and the other adapter is inside the main house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Why don't you try to use two Wireless Access points in bridge mode !?

WAN - router - LAN - AP -=- AP - switch - PCs !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

rolion wrote: »
    Why don't you try to use two Wireless Access points in bridge mode !?

WAN - router - LAN - AP -=- AP - switch - PCs !

Bridge mode tends to be very messy and usually only supports WEP.

If you can wire, it is always best and more secure.

Dont worry about the difference between hubs and switches. With your setup it is not going to make much difference. Small 4 port switch/hub in the office will do the trick and will work for years with no maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Just go with a switch
    BB Modem Free port => Switch => NAS & PC

My own BB modem is inside the house connect to a 16port procurve switch 30m Cat5 run to the office.

I wouldn't even bother bridging routers performance will be dirt compared to a straight cable run.

Homeplugs would be okay if you aren't jumping between breakers otherwise performance will crap.

Price of a switch ranges from a tenner on ebay to 200+ depending on what you need it for, bog standard switch will work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Probably too much for you but have a 24 port 3COM switch which is surplus to my requirments. Was planing on putting it on ebay at €70

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Just get a switch.

Personally though I would use a wireless bridge, because I'm lazy and cba running cable between buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'll go with the wired connection to a gigabit switch (something around 30 quid from what I've seen).

I think I'd be saturating the bandwidth a wifi bridge would give me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement