Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Help Please

• 24-03-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I have a laptop from my previous job that I bought when I was leaving. Every time I started the laptop up it would try to sync with the network, which was a pain. Also I couldn't add any programmes etc. So I logged in the laptop as the admin and changed the laptop from being on a network to being a home one. Now I can only log in as admin and can't get into all my files etc.

Anyone know what I need to do to get all my stuff. Really need to get in as I'm opening my own business and my business plan and everything is in there.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

What OS are you on btw?

Anyway, best thing to do now that you're logged in as admin is to go to the control panel and select Users.

From there change your other account to an admin account. This will let you do whatever you want on that account and this way you don't have to move your files around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Finscout

Thanks.

Its Windows Xp 2002 service pack 2.

I went into the users and my name isn't showing. Only showing the Admin and ability to add a guest. So still lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Open My Computer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users (or the username that you know you kept the files under) and browse to where you put them.

Are they there?

chin_grin wrote: »
    Open My Computer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users (or the username that you know you kept the files under) and browse to where you put them.

Are they there?

Looked in All Users and there is a folder there with my user name. None of my files are there. Panic time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

U can use specific software to actually access all users even if they are password protected (WinXP). It's hard to explain on this forum. Where are you from? Dublin? Go to any computer/mobile repair boot/shop in the City Centre and ask for help. It's easy and cant cost you more then €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

It seems that if your files are not in your user folder then they were synced and stored on the network. This happened when you were logging into the domain in work and that's why you don't have a local user account under your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Finscout wrote: »
    None of my files are there. Panic time!!!
    Are you sure that they were saved on your harddrive? What you said is that you lost them at the moment you changed laptop not to be at the network? What network did you mention? Your private network at home or at work?

BTW - @Morprok - what time's in Osaka now? Could you follow the topic as I have to go to bed now :-)

Thanks Zom.

Can't find them on my network.

In my computer I used to have a personal drive and in there is where everything was, and this is gone. When I would log in at work it would sync with the server.

Thanks Zom.

Can't find them on my network.

In my computer I used to have a personal drive and in there is where everything was, and this is gone. When I would log in at work it would sync with the server.

Can I add back in the drive in My Computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Can I add back in the drive in My Computer?

I hate to tell you but no. The extra drive was a mapping to a network share (that would be automatically mapped when you plugged your machine in to their network). On a server in the workplace. They're probably still on your named folder on the works' server.

So when you plugged the laptop in in work you would see your name as an extra drive in My Computer.

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    I hate to tell you but no. The extra drive was a mapping to a network share (that would be automatically mapped when you plugged your machine in to their network). On a server in the workplace. They're probably still on your named folder on the works' server.

So when you plugged the laptop in in work you would see your name as an extra drive in My Computer.

But even when I wasn't plugged into the work network, i could still work on files offline. Can I retrieve them?

I think I have found all the files. In Offline files. But, can't open them, or copy and paste. It says can't find source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

I think I have found all the files. In Offline files. But, can't open them, or copy and paste. It says can't find source
    You may try this, it may work for decompressing the offline files.

You may try this, it may work for decompressing the offline files.

Worked my way through this and another part on the site. But for some reason when I'm in DOS it says cmccd is not recognized. Any ideas?

Advertisement