Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of the most depressing experiences...

• 24-03-2011 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Sorry just had to come onto this board as I have been a long term follower of the board and wouldn't have joined today until I looked at my mocks results which came in today. I left the mocks a few weeks ago happy thinking I have done well enough during them so I wasn't too bothered until today. I came home and seen my father looking at me funny with a letter in his hand and told me to read it and quickly noticed it was my mocks....

Now I'm not one of the smartest people you are ever going to meet and love having a laugh in school and everything but seeing these results tore me I must say :(, I got 50 points in the mocks and failed five out of 7 subjects I'm doing....and seeing other people on this board getting over 300 and then seeing me do nothing is heart-breaking

I just want to know Is it capable to get to at least 200 If I stopped my messing around and quickly worked, I think crying into my mocks will motivate me enough to know that the time for messing is over and the time for work starts now....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, it is possible to do significantly better if you put your back into it ... but it's your back, and you're the one that's going to have to discipline yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

yes it is - seriously like the leaving isn't half bad if you make an effort at all

not generalising here but most people here are here because they want to scrape every last mark they can get because they want the 600 points so don't be worrying about everyone here seeming cleverer than you or whatever... I was in the same boat last year so

if you make the effort you will get more than 200 easily... just do your homework.. do the past papers and you will improve by a huge amount...

just say for example if you got D3 in every exam - how many points is that alone - I dunno how many honours and how many pass subjects your doing but if you pass everything your going to be talking about over 100ish for D3's alone...

if you study and put the effort in you'll get 200-300 points without question...

just do the work - quit the messing about - 2-3 months of messing or the rest of your life - think about it for 2 seconds and you'll know what to do...

if you actually do the homework and do the past papers you will improve - I said that about 5 lines ago but it's the simple truth.... I know you didn't do a toss for the mocks - and don't say you did - because you didn't

but it's not too late - work from today onwards.. not tomorrow - no excuses next June/August if you work and put the effort in you'll be grand

just study and do homework and put some effort in your spare time at home... if you still want to act cool in front of your friends by never doing the homework ever or whatever keep doing it - but just don't tell them... just make sure you actually do it and when the results come out and you have enough points for your course and they have 20 points who'll be cool then...

when they're at home either repeating or just acting the **** and your in college having the college craic who'll be cool then....

I know this might sound like a lecture but if you actually work and quit the messing about there's no reason at all why you won't get more than what your aiming for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

If you left your mocks thinking you had done well enough, and you gained 50 points and failed five of seven, there's something seriously amiss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

If you are doing all honours and if u just pass all of them you will have 270 points, shouldn't be that hard to get at least D3 in the actual exam if you do you homework and a bit of study every day..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If getting 50 points in the mocks is one of the most depressing experiences you'll go through, then you'll live a very good life indeed. :P

Yes, you can improve. You can always repeat if you don't get it in June, what do you want to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

You know what'd be even more depressing? Getting 50 points in the Leaving Cert.

Take that as incentive to get your a*s in gear. You have time to improve but you have to start now. If you need to, then drop to pass in a subject or 2, but I'd say you should talk to your teachers about that first and see what their opinion is. They should have an idea of how well you can do in each subject. Get your head down and stuck in, 200 points is achievable for you, but you have a long way to go. Look at past papers, get revision books, even listening in class can help a lot (sounds simple but I didn't cop on til near the end).

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I only got 90 and I'm not worried at all. Should I be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Talk to your teachers to see what's going wrong.

I did my leaving cert about 7 years ago (i feel old:() and got about 200 odd points in the mocks. Got 440 or something in the leaving so of course it possible to improve a lot. The mocks are designed to get you to work harder and prepare for the real thing.

If you had a few percent more in a few of those papers, you probably would have over 200 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 2K11

I'm fully determined now lads and I'm hoping now I said it to everyone in my year today that I'm sick of the crap talk were havin we have to start working and they really were surprised, It's all good being the tough-man and everything but this LC means alot to me

What I forget to tell you is I'm doing only Honours History and I got 36% in it I'm hopeful of better, French I got 38% and Business I got 29% but I know in my heart I'm well capable of doing better in them subjects....

It's a good wake-up call to have now, Today I did 6 hours of study and feeling good with the layout I produced and work...Fingers crossed

Just after talking to my teachers today, I have been asked to drop down to Foundation maths as they believe I have left it too late for recovery, Does this damage my hopes of college further?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

2K11 wrote: »
    Just after talking to my teachers today, I have been asked to drop down to Foundation maths as they believe I have left it too late for recovery, Does this damage my hopes of college further?

Oh boy it sure does. Most colleges courses have a minimum of Ordinary maths requirement. Check the specific courses you want to do and it will say what they want. But from my experience of filing through every college, uni and I.T course in Ireland checking for ones that accept the foundation I only came across about 20, most of which were courses I'd have no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StarCollision

What courses are you interested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Don't worry, most of the best entrepreneurs and millionaires dropped out of school or left early to go to work.

There must be a lesson here for you too. You're a kid, be a kid, there is no work for several years in Ireland anyway, you can always do courses later on and it's easier to get on schemes if you can have some sort of 'deprived' or 'ADD' whereas there is no help for straight A students.

Cramming might pass you the exam but you lose the education value, if you are serious, plan to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

What course do you want to do? It might not sound like fun, but you could look at repeating if you don't get what you need. Or maybe there's PLC you want to do somewhere?

If you don't get what you need this time round, there's always other options so keep them in mind as a back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

170 in my mocks... :o
    Not worried, for the right reasons, my work before hand was nothing. I mean i didn't do a days study in my life.
    Minimum points for my courses. 325.. I do 3 higher levels.
    Work being done now, mind blowing, how much I'm learning and retaining is also staggering.
    Just gotta cut the crap, and get yourself into gear man!
    I wish you the best of luck!

In relation to dropping to Foundation, in my personal opinion it isn't too late provided you're willing to work. I sit beside someone who failed their mocks with 18%
    We laughed and joked everyday. That's stopped and work has started!
    You can do it, if you at least try!

I would just like to say everybody that since I made this thread I have now been giving an opportunity of doing Sports Journalism which I'm thrilled about, I only thought tonight about this thread and I must thank People in this thread for giving me a kick of the backside and since this thread I put a hell of a lot of energy and time into the Leaving Cert and I stopped the messing which I did in class.

To everyone next year doing it, Start now and work as hard as you can for a year and you will get your chance to. I was never a good student and the mocks shocked me and It took all my energy and strength to get the points. Believe me I'm never going to be A student but If you put work in you will get a reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

fair dues to ya mate.. one you got what you want to do that's all you want

congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

brilliant news op, i'm happy for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I would just like to say everybody that since I made this thread I have now been giving an opportunity of doing Sports Journalism which I'm thrilled about, I only thought tonight about this thread and I must thank People in this thread for giving me a kick of the backside and since this thread I put a hell of a lot of energy and time into the Leaving Cert and I stopped the messing which I did in class.

To everyone next year doing it, Start now and work as hard as you can for a year and you will get your chance to. I was never a good student and the mocks shocked me and It took all my energy and strength to get the points. Believe me I'm never going to be A student but If you put work in you will get a reward.
    Seriously well done!

Now, enjoy the hell out of college.

But ... when it's getting nearer the exams, and you know you should be knuckling down and revising, but it's hard to get started ... come back and read this thread! ;)

Seriously well done!

Now, enjoy the hell out of college.

But ... when it's getting nearer the exams, and you know you should be knuckling down and revising, but it's hard to get started ... come back and read this thread! ;)

Haha I already have this thread saved man for Inspiration :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Well done, I was shocked reading the thread but when I found out it had all ended well I was delighted for you. Enjoy college :)

Advertisement