Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about custody

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

Actually, once attained the only difference is that guardianship gained through the courts can be lost, but it is incredibly difficult to do so and effectively impossible to do so if the father is actually making an effort to be involved.
    Sorry, The Corinthian, but anything is possible in the secret courts where Family Law is practiced. Neither of us can say if it ever happens in the District Court due to the In Camera rule. If it does, it can be appealed to the Circuit Court, if the unmarried fathers has €1,000 or so and we are forbidden from hearing the outcome. If he loses, he can always appeal to the High Court, if he has €10,000 or so. That hearing will be made public but what single father can afford such fees to establish or maintain a position that is as useless as a blank sheet of paper, other than to stop his child being legally abducted?

Do I really need one?
    You haven't got one so you can't make statements as if they are fact.

Ask yourself why would a court remove a guardianship? It's not something that would be done lightly and only if in the "in the child's best interest" - the only cases I have heard of involved abandonment, and even then it took years to do.
    But it simply can't happen in a married fathers case.
    Indeed, on the topic of references, do you have any that point to this being commonplace, abused or otherwise a real danger?
    My first answer covers it, I think.
    Certainly, and if he is more likely to receive spousal maintenance than pay it, then happy days. However, it really does appear for most to be a ridiculous length to take for a very limited advantage.
    As I say, each father would have to make up his own mind.

Advertisement