Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for people doing music..

• 24-03-2011 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Practicals are 2 weeks away..
    I've been told that in addition to the tracks we have to play, there's also an unprepared test..
    Could anyone give me some info on this?
    I'm doing music outside school and don't have access to anything about the practical...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it's clapping or sight reading - like the Junior, though presumably they are looking for more accuracy.

This might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Thanks for that..
    I didn't do music at Junior Cert. level so I'm a bit in the deep end here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

You get 4 choices.

1. Sight reading where you're given a short piece of unprepared music and you have to play it on the spot
    2. Aural rhythm memory where you hear a rhythm and you have to clap it back
    3. Aural melody memory where you hear a piece of melody and you sing it back
    4. Improvisation

Rhythm clapping is fairly easy with a little practice but sight reading can be well worth it if you have a good grounding in reading music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    You get 4 choices.

1. Sight reading where you're given a short piece of unprepared music and you have to play it on the spot
    2. Aural rhythm memory where you hear a rhythm and you have to clap it back
    3. Aural melody memory where you hear a piece of melody and you sing it back
    4. Improvisation

Rhythm clapping is fairly easy with a little practice but sight reading can be well worth it if you have a good grounding in reading music.

+ sight clapping. This is the easiest choice. You're given a rhythm, you take a few minutes to look at it and figure it out, and then you clap it back. Don't do aural rhythm memory!! If you're any way nervous, you won't be able to remember the rhythm, it's 8 whole bars!:eek:

Do you have friends who are doing music in school? They'll be able to help you.

Advertisement