Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frequency/positions?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going anon for this one.

We have been trying to conceive since November (I am 26, he is 31) but it hasn't happened yet. We haven't done anything special, just stopped using protection (condoms) and left nature to take its course. Now I'm starting to wonder ideally how much intercourse we should be having. I'd say we average about 2-3 times a week but sometimes my husband works night shifts and we are less regular then. Does greater frequency matter overall or should we just focus on particular times of the month?

Also, are there some sex positions that are especially recommended for conception?

Sorry to sound a bit naive. I assumed this would just happen and it hasn't. Hoping someone has advice.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I dont think the frequency sounds off at all - but if you can find out when you ovulate and try daily for a few days after that would increase your chances.

You can find really cheap ovulation sticks on the internet - I got mine from www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk, but other posters have gotten them cheaper again on ebay - if you read back a few pages in the chat thread, one of the posters has posted an ebay link. They cost a lot in the chemist, and getting to know your cycle you will use a fair few so its worth having the ones that are really cheap.

You can try charting and taking your temperature - I gave up after 3 days myself, but there are others here that might be able to advise you on how to do that correctly.

Start a calendar, noting when your period happens (this becomes Cycle Day 1 (or CD1 in shorthand) I also put hearts where we have tried, and a little smiley face on the days I ovulate. Some women get ovulation pain, so note that too.

Elevate your pelvis after sex, it helps the swimmers get to their destination, and if you are using lube, only use one that is conception friendly - preseed is a good one. Same goes for saliva, it kills sperm, avoid oral sex around the time you ovulate.

Read up on your cervical fluid so keep an eye on it - it changes as you get more fertile - goes like egg white, is slippy and can stretch.

If you havent already, start taking folic acid, and if you smoke, knock it on the head - that goes for both of you.

You should come join the chat thread, I joined some months ago and the shared experiences have taught me a lot. Its also great to sound off our frustrations with people who understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I found this very useful

Advertisement