Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsafe apartment - where do I stand?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for advice as to what my rights are in this situation.

I've been living in a crummy apartment in a rough area of Dublin for the past few months. About a month ago a man broke in to the building twice, was extremely violent and had to be removed by the guards. The main door is far from secure, as are most of the apartment doors. The landlord convinced me he would rectify this. Nothing has been done. Tonight two kids broke in and ransacked my neighbours house, I walked in on them and they ran through me and fled.

Aside from this our downstairs neighbours managed to get a healthy cockroach infestation about two months ago. The landlord hired the cheapest con artists he could find to alleviate the problem and all they managed to do was spread the things to us and others. I have since convinced the landlord to hire a reputable company who have done an inspection but have yet to return to do any work.

Is there anything I can do to get out of here without paying next months rent and with deposit intact? Because I can't get out otherwise. He makes every appearance to be doing things but he's not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Council housing department would be a start. They can have the place inspected.

You might also talk to Threshold and the PRTB www.threshold.ie www.prtb.ie

A word with the crime prevention officer in the local Garda station might not go astray.

Are your possessions insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Thanks, was planning on ringing threshold once they open.

To be honest there is nothing that further contact with the guards will do. My possessions aren't insured but I'm a student so the only insurable items I possess go where I go anyway.

Advertisement