Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pet lamb?

• 24-03-2011 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

was thinking of getting a pet lamb or 2 for the kids , are they alot of hassle ? what would i expect to pay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

whelan1 wrote: »
    was thinking of getting a pet lamb or 2 for the kids , are they alot of hassle ? what would i expect to pay
    You should not pay too much. €10 euro would be too much.
    It will cost you approx €40 euro in milk replacer and creep meal.
    They don't taste very nice........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Ara they're not much hassle really (waits to be lambasted). Once they know how to suck a bottle they're grand. Generally one tub of milk will get them weaned off milk. So, I would make very small amounts of creep available right from the off. Just enough to get them nibbling, chewing. Do not let them climb into it or it'll constantly be dirty. Fresh water all the time, feed them as directed, think it's three/four times a day in the start.

Our vet in Oughterard has great stuff called Nourish, Dad had problems with pets bloating on Frisky and Lamlac and I'd stay away from both brands. Nourish didn't bloat them and they came on in leaps and bounds. Try and ensure they got some sort of colostrum on day one, in their first few hours. Honest person will tell you about that, dishonest... well... You know yourself.

They're a bit mental. Once they're out of the shed, they'll follow humans, because humans mean food. Don't underestimate the obstacles they'll throw themselves at, under, or over at the start of their "freedom" :D

One obvious thing I suppose, they're defenseless. So don't leave them out on their own where crows, foxes, dogs etc might have a go.

Like I said, once they're sucking from a bottle, or whatever you decide to use, they're fairly straightforward. Nice cosy shed, straw, clean water, little bit of creep, bit of attention from the kids, sorted :)

P1020996.jpg

P1020994.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

We had problems with the lamlac too.
    Also when the get bigger they dont understand the child and can puck if wanting food or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Was thinking of getting a couple here too for the kids. Would I need a herd number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we have 2 lambs got them in early april... they are getting milk once a day , eat meal and are out on grass , we have 1 male and 1 female... do i need to inject them with anything , is it too late to dock their tails? i assume they are related , could i breed them to each other ? thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

they are getting milk once a day

Early April? I presume they were lambed around or before then, could knock off the milk, or they'll be living with you when they're 40 :p
    eat meal and are out on grass

Lamb creep and the green stuff should do them, that's what mine are on for the past while.
    do i need to inject them with anything

Ovivac P Plus would be an idea, see if you can get some of another farmer, not realistic to buy even the smallest bottle for two. Also do them with a pour on for ticks, I use Vector.

http://www.intervet.co.uk/products_public/ovivac_p_plus/010_overview.aspx
    is it too late to dock their tails?

Legally yep, should be done in the first week of life I believe.
    i assume they are related, could i breed them to each other?

Do I hear banjos?

Inbred.jpg

For breeding breeding, I wouldn't. For offspring strictly for the hook, I don't do that so won't speculate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Hope you arent too found of your garden cause they'll eat every plant going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Hope you arent too found of your garden cause they'll eat every plant going
    we fenced off a corner of the garden... they are now in a paddock i have for cows calving it has sheep wire all round it... they did break out once or twice but i have manners on them now:D

Advertisement