Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle aged?

• 24-03-2011 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭

What age is ...middle aged?...I think its 40 to 59 ....59 to 70 is kinda floating around some where ... and over 70 is older...

I am middle aged and very happy to be...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Central Statistics Office say (as of 2006) that the avarage life expectancy in men is 76.8 and in women is 81.6.
    Now all you have to do is decide if you are a man or a woman and divide the revelant figure by 2.
    :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Feck. :(

I know! Fecking scary stuff.
    I have decided to only surround myself with young'uns in future in the expectation that their youfffullness will rub off on me in a bizarre Dorian Grey/Osmossis sorta way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

It is like cricket, you have to aim for a treble figure score...... Anyone know to bat the ball of age into the next county?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

OldGoat wrote: »
    I know! Fecking scary stuff.
    I have decided to only surround myself with young'uns in future in the expectation that their youfffullness will rub off on me in a bizarre Dorian Grey/Osmossis sorta way.

I've been hanging around with older people in the hope that people will point at me and say "Who's that young fella with all them coffin-dodgers?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

im a recycled teenager:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 centrifuge

Middle Age, for a man at least, is when you see an attractive younger woman and your first thought is "I don't think her father would approve of a skirt that short".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'm 46 in a couple of months,I've never considered myself middle aged, it's a bit troubling to even consider it actually.

Ponders a while

Actually I'll think I'll wait a few years before I join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Kinda sneaks up on you,doesnt it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

centrifuge wrote: »
    Middle Age, for a man at least, is when you see an attractive younger woman and your first thought is "I don't think her father would approve of a skirt that short".

That's certainly one way of looking at things...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

centrifuge wrote: »

Hah! That happened to me the other day. Gorgeous girl goes past, legs up her neck and all I could think was that she'd get a cold in her kidneys in an outfit that short.

It reminded me of a song by Gillian Welch:

"Saw a girl on the streets of my home
    Like a fire on a hillside she shone
    And I knew right then that my best days were gone..."

Essentials in life are fresh - water, bread, veg and fruit.
    The luxuries in life are mature, cheese, wines, cigars, company.
    We are luxuries. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Middle-aged is a moving target, you only have to look at tv vox-pop type interviews from the 50s/60s and you'll see men and women who sound and frankly look middle aged
    in their early 30s. As we get richer, more cosetted we stay "younger" longer.

Anyway the real answer is a year beyond my current age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This is slightly off topic but why do people have a problem describing themselves as middle aged ( not people on this thread as I know the replies are ironic and everyone on this forum is far to self evolved to be bothered by being described as middle aged :) )

I am perfectly happy to be middle aged and dont have any problem describing my self as thus.... one of my pet hates is the obsession with appearing younger...what is the problem with being content with what every stage of life you are at....I don't mind being described as young at heart which I often am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

To be honest I don't really use the term 'Middle Aged' when talking about myself. Possibly I MAY use the term 'elderly' Although again I hardly think of it at all.

I am what I am. I can out run out fight and out play any 90 year old so I am young. A 20 year old can beat me in most anything so therefore I am old..... It all depends on what you compare yourself to. Stick to comparing yourself with your peers and you will never 'grow old' as long as you can be better than at least some of them in something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

They say that " 40 is the old age of youth" , in other words, at 40, one is an old youngster. They say that " 50 is the youth of old age" , in other words at 50, one is a young oldster. I imagine that at 50, one is regarded as being ' middle aged'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Clareboy wrote: »
    They say that " 40 is the old age of youth" , in other words, at 40, one is an old youngster. They say that " 50 is the youth of old age" , in other words at 50, one is a young oldster. I imagine that at 50, one is regarded as being ' middle aged'.

Any chance you could stretch that out to 55-60 ish Clareboy, it's a bit too close for comfort;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Declan Lynch said he realised he was not yound when he wqas 27 and realised he did niot recognise a single song on Top of the Pops. He was not old so by definition he was middle aged.
    ANother definition. $0 is the old age of youth. 50 is the youth of old age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Middle age = 35

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Middle age = 35

Middle aged at 35! Never! At 35, one is in the prime of life. When I was 35, I dressed in outragous clothing and spent my nights chasing and being chased by women in bars and night clubs. I never felt middle aged in my 30s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

My reckoning has young = 0(new born) -> 25
    middle age = 26 -> 50
    old age = 51 -> the end

And yes, I'm old :)

Advertisement