Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 year old Ammo legal?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi, I have in my possession some live rounds that were salvaged from a 100 year old ship wreck as souveniers. Is it illegal to have them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Strictly speaking, yes. However, I can't see anyone actualy trying to prosecute you, unless you salvaged 100's of rounds? The fact that they are probably useless after 100 years in saltwater doesn't change the fact that they are ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

As half said, strictly speaking, they could be classed as ammunition. There is a provision under the Act for collecting antiques, but that applies more to firearms than ammunition and generally to firearms that took seperate components for ammunition (like muzzle-loading flintlocks and so forth).

However, I'd be more concerned myself with safety - if they were in a shipwreck exposed to salt water, you're probably safe enough but if they were in a sealed box away from the water, they might still be viable and the primers would be unstable. Without knowing more, I doubt anyone could tell you, but I'd just keep the safety aspect in mind until I was sure if I was yourself.

If they're inert, you could always get a letter from the super to say you have deactivated ammunition and keep them that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

Sparks wrote: »
    , they might still be viable and the primers would be unstable. Without knowing more, I doubt anyone could tell you, but I'd just keep the safety aspect in mind until I was sure if I was yourself.

why would they dangerous?
    wouldnt they have to be in a rifle chamber/barrel to give them any velocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

johnner1 wrote: »
    why would they dangerous?
    wouldnt they have to be in a rifle chamber/barrel to give them any velocity.
    Yup.
    But if you're holding them in your hand at the time, they don't really need that much velocity...

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

You should report them to the reciever of wrecks as well if you want to stay legal;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

If you'r holding live ammunition, (which is ammunition that has not been fired) you are supposed to have a licence.You can be done for having it in you'r possession.

Advertisement