Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Calling all Nissan LEAF Owners in Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

13Amp charging is free atm. It will be charged eventually.

You can read more about it here:
    http://www.esb.ie/main/ecars/e-charging.jsp

There will be pre-pay from different electricity provides. It may be possible to tie your EV billing to your electricity bill.

The majority of charging will be done at home at night.

The cost of charging is the number of kWh's to charge the battery by the rate. I think most people running EVs will opt for night saver, which is 6 or 7 per kWh.

I drive a Citroen Berlingo Electrique. It takes 20 kWh of electricity to charge my battery from 0 to 100% and my range is 50miles/80kms.

Total cost on nightsaver 20*7cent= €1.40

WRT the leaf:
    The leaf needs a small box attached to the charge cable to do 13A charging. This could be a bit of an inconvenience using the existing charge points. I think the ESB are working on this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

Leaf will be on the consumer show on rte1 this evening for anyone interested. Just heard it mentioned on the pat kenny radio show this morning. Apparently only people earning at least 150k per year can own an ev. Pity no one told my boss:rolleyes:

Hopefully it won't be a hatchet job, where they complain about the fact that the Leaf can't be driven from Dublin to Cork on a single charge.

Maybe they'll simulate "what would happen" if the leaf ran out of charge while you were driving like the infamous top gear Tesla episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

jackbauer wrote: »
    Leaf will be on the consumer show on rte1 this evening for anyone interested. Just heard it mentioned on the pat kenny radio show this morning. Apparently only people earning at least 150k per year can own an ev. Pity no one told my boss:rolleyes:

It's a relatively expensive car, but not that expensive! I don't earn half that amount and I managed to buy one. I must watch that program and see what they say about the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

These cars are disgraceful, destroying the trees etc.

coal%20plant.JPG

dirty_power.jpg

pollution.jpg

• Advertisement

NewApproach, that's the long tale pipe argument. I suggest you read up on it.

I think your either ill informed or your being a troll.

In future when a majority of our electricity comes from renewable sources the electric vehicles might be worthwhile. But at the minute they cause more harm than good. Plus don't forget the batteries in these cars. Long after the car's useful life is over the batteries will continue to cause damage to earth.

These cars are disgraceful, destroying the trees etc.

*snip*

Couldn't care less my friend! I'm not a tree hugging hippy. I just like the fact I've driven 1300km in the last 2 weeks in my Leaf and it cost me less than 20 euro. In my old car diesel car (2.5 litre V6) that would have been nearer €180.

But for those who are more environmentally minded, it's been well studied and proven that CO2 emissions per kilometer are lower in an EV even when account for power plant emissions. Also as we move to cleaner (nuclear) power, the emissions attributed to EV's will drop. Fossil fuel cars will stay the same unless owners want to do an engine swap every few years to keep up with the latest ICE technology?

I just like the fact I've driven 1300km in the last 2 weeks in my Leaf

Oh the joys

But for those who are more environmentally minded, it's been well studied and proven that CO2 emissions per kilometer are lower in an EV even when account for power plant emissions.

Source?

In future when a majority of our electricity comes from renewable sources the electric vehicles might be worthwhile. But at the minute they cause more harm than good. Plus don't forget the batteries in these cars. Long after the car's useful life is over the batteries will continue to cause damage to earth.

After 10 years Nissan reckon the battery pack will still have 80% capacity. Nissan plan on finding a second life for them, perhaps as storage for renewable energy? Anyway they are lots of useful metals in them, somehow I don't see any of them just being dumped. They'll be recycled, it has over 4kg of Lithium alone.

• Advertisement

NewApproach askes for Sources yet he doesn't provide sources to back up his argument. Obviously a troll.

Couldn't care less my friend! I'm not a tree hugging hippy. I just like the fact I've driven 1300km in the last 2 weeks in my Leaf and it cost me less than 20 euro. In my old car diesel car (2.5 litre V6) that would have been nearer €180.

But for those who are more environmentally minded, it's been well studied and proven that CO2 emissions per kilometer are lower in an EV even when account for power plant emissions. Also as we move to cleaner (nuclear) power, the emissions attributed to EV's will drop. Fossil fuel cars will stay the same unless owners want to do an engine swap every few years to keep up with the latest ICE technology?
    cianof wrote: »
    NewApproach askes for Sources yet he doesn't provide sources to back up his argument. Obviously a troll.

What argument did I make? About the effects of producing electricity? I put up 3 nice big pictures which I believe effectively back up what I'm trying to say.

Oh the joys

It is joy ;)
    Source?

I read it originally in an issue of New Scientist I think! But for now I just did some quick Google searches.

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Electric_Vehicle_Grant_Scheme/I_am_a_consumer/Power_Station_to_Wheels/

What argument did I make? About the effects of producing electricity? I put up 3 nice big pictures which I believe effectively back up what I'm trying to say.

Oil has to be extracted out of the ground, refined and transported. All before it is put in your car and burned. If you want to make a point why don't you use some facts and figures? I don't believe anyone said EV's were 100% green. Only that they are zero emissions at point of use and that generating power in large power stations and transferring it to EV's is greener than having several million small 1litre to 2litre power plants on our roads. Economies of scale etc, it's just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

NewApproach is right, you should be back in your petrol car, cos petrol is plentifull fuel found in mass quantities in surface lakes that we can just pour straight in to our cars. Now if it was made from something like, say, oil that needs energy to find it, then suck it up, then transport it, then refine it, then trainsport it again, then throw in a few additives, then transport it again so you can buy it, it ight not make the foolproof arguement of sticking up pictures of smokstacks so watertight.

This might be a bit crazy but do you ever think we will see the day when all cars on the roads have tiny nuclear power units in them? They are the cleanest of all, and some vehicles use that source of power at the minute.

Just a thought.

This might be a bit crazy but do you ever think we will see the day when all cars on the roads have tiny nuclear power units in them? They are the cleanest of all, and some vehicles use that source of power at the minute.

Just a thought.

I'm all for Nuclear power, but cleanest of all? Windturbines? Solar panels? Dams?

Here's a great argument from me, I don't need words :rolleyes:

saudi_princes_0330.jpg

02.jpg

gulf-oil-spill.jpg

oil_extraction.jpg

_38261905_carexhaust300.jpg

Nuclear energy produces no direct greenhouse gases

A happy nuclear power plant:

838-the-eu-will-have-to-make-much-greater-use-of-nuclear-power-if-we-are-to-significantly-reduce-carbon-emissions.png

• Advertisement

I'm all for Nuclear power, but cleanest of all? Windturbines? Solar panels? Dams?

Well it's on a par with them I guess

A happy nuclear power plant:

838-the-eu-will-have-to-make-much-greater-use-of-nuclear-power-if-we-are-to-significantly-reduce-carbon-emissions.png

CO2 emissions from EV's in France is apparently 12g of CO2 per kilometer. At least according to this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/renault/8466548/Renault-Twizy-review.html
    CO2 emissions: 12g/km well-to-wheels on French electricity generation mix, 62g/km well-to-wheels on European electricity generation mix

<MOD SNIP>

NewApproach, your spamming the thread with pictures of coal burning power stations.

What exactly is your point? Try saying it in words if you can so we may respond. We're not playing pictionary here.

lol! I've given you the sources you asked for. Why not comment on those if you feel they're wrong? or maybe you think your pictures of chimney stacks still outweigh a reasoned argument? Either way I'll continue to enjoy my EV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

<MOD SNIP>

If you want to engage in a discussion you can do so. But posting pics as a response is just annoying, and doesn't do anything to explain your point.

Don't post if you have nothing to say

Nuclear energy produces no direct greenhouse gases

We're not only talkign about greenhouse gasses. If your weighign up energy sources then everythign has to be included, from the building of the facility to the waste it produces to the efficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paul.mcd

Hi all,

I've just been reading through this thread and apart from the fact that it has been thrown massively off topic in the last hour, it is a very interesting one.

I have just taken a new position in Trinity College on a large project studying the roll-out of electric vehicles around Europe. The project is called Green eMotion, it is a big European project (FP7) involving major car manufacturers, energy providers, municipalities and research institutions all around Europe.
    Project website is here: http://www.greenemotion-project.eu/

The aim of the initiative is to understand what is needed to make electric vehicles a success, from the point of view of manufacturers, energy companies, city councils, governments and most importantly customers such as OP here.

Our research will involve analysing user attitudes, experiences and driving habits to determine how the Irish people will adopt EVs.

With that in mind I would be interested in setting up a more formalised way for any existng or potential EV owners (and critics) to give us some feedback.

So if anyone is interested in talking about their experiences and having an input into the ongoing development of policy toward electric cars in Ireland then drop me a PM.

Cheers

paul.mcd wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just been reading through this thread and apart from the fact that it has been thrown massively off topic in the last hour, it is a very interesting one.

I have just taken a new position in Trinity College on a large project studying the roll-out of electric vehicles around Europe. The project is called Green eMotion, it is a big European project (FP7) involving major car manufacturers, energy providers, municipalities and research institutions all around Europe.
    Project website is here: http://www.greenemotion-project.eu/

The aim of the initiative is to understand what is needed to make electric vehicles a success, from the point of view of manufacturers, energy companies, city councils, governments and most importantly customers such as OP here.

Our research will involve analysing user attitudes, experiences and driving habits to determine how the Irish people will adopt EVs.

With that in mind I would be interested in setting up a more formalised way for any existng or potential EV owners (and critics) to give us some feedback.

So if anyone is interested in talking about their experiences and having an input into the ongoing development of policy toward electric cars in Ireland then drop me a PM.

Cheers

Good luck with this. Goos to see people putting their intelligence to good use, which can benefit us all.

As for this bit:
    paul.mcd wrote: »
    my opinion is as follows:

Manufacturers: Profit (by having new innovative products)
    Energy Companies: Profit (increased use of electricity)
    City Councils: Not really a consequence to them is it?
    Governments: Appearing to be 'green' to the Europeans and Japs
    Customers: Lower runnings costs I guess, although some people wouldn't really want EVs because they want to go more than 100 miles in a day/want lots of power/something big or comfortable.

Hope this helps

smiley-face-thumbs-up.png&sa=X&ei=SA_ATZagFdGbhQeuhcnHBQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH_K7PxiAlecoLGKXMu39RFGjI87A

• Advertisement

We're not only talkign about greenhouse gasses. If your weighign up energy sources then everythign has to be included, from the building of the facility to the waste it produces to the efficiency.

True that. My bad.

Advertisement